Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of new speedlingerie bra

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 10:17 AM
wihlenfeldt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using a Colgan "over the fender" bra on my 997. It fits perfectly---better than the Porsche (also Colgan) I had on my 996. I've used bras on all four of my Porsches and have never had a problem. However, I remove it for around town driving and use them only for over the road activities. Also if caught in the rain, I'll remove it and dry it before replacing it. Cleanliness of both the car and bra is important. I had a 996 with 35000 miles on it and not a stone nick when traded.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:16 AM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another down vote for the bra. I would rather have stone chips than have a bra like that on my car. As the one guy said, the clear film looks bad enough.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Qualnhick
Intermediate

My eyes are still hurting after looking at this ... I´m glad that in Europe noone uses this kind of ugly thing !
Old 04-10-2006, 01:11 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by wihlenfeldt
I am using a Colgan "over the fender" bra on my 997. It fits perfectly---better than the Porsche (also Colgan) I had on my 996. I've used bras on all four of my Porsches and have never had a problem. However, I remove it for around town driving and use them only for over the road activities. Also if caught in the rain, I'll remove it and dry it before replacing it. Cleanliness of both the car and bra is important. I had a 996 with 35000 miles on it and not a stone nick when traded.
I'm trying to understand this. What have you gained? You traded the car in with only 35,000 miles. Did they give you an extra $100 for your trade? Rock chips are part of normal wear and tear on a vehicle. They are expected on a Porsche and unless you have 2000 miles on your cars nobody will discount the car for having them. To me the only person who benefits is the guy who is buying the car second hand. Unless the wear of a bra is more noticable than the rock chips you would of had.
So you had something on your car - that made it look ugly, gained no value and the benefit was for the next owner. Plus the wear and teat of taking a bra on and off.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

What you guys missed from an earlier post is that my p-cars are cars that are entered into PCA concour events. So the car is kept as pristine as I can yet still drive it and have fun. So I need to protect it - I hate rock chips.

On the flip side, my boxster had hundreds of rock chips, no bra and that was fine. A recent re-spray and clear bra is OK, but it has chips again (since January's re-spray). No big deal.

Some guys like to track their cars, mine are kept pretty clean for that form of 'competition'. So, when i drive, the car wears a bra. Rather than the standard black, this one is as close a match as it gets to carmon red. Maybe I should have gotten SY?

People either use them or hate them. I don't necessarily like them (they are ugly), but I'm willing to use it.

Seems like there are no fence-sitters with this discussion. This is good! It's either yeah or nay
Old 04-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default LOSE THE DAMN THING!

If you are doing any showing of the vehicle, that bra will certainly ruin that chance. Dirt accumulates under it and at speeds act like a sheet of sandpaper. If you do not mind removing it and polishing that clearcoat each time with a fine polish to take out the scratches, say like Menzerna FPII or IP then you're OK with that.

A quality paint film and installer will beat that bra hands down! I have done more paint corrections to people who use these temp strap-on bras than I knew what to do with. Mostly from the edge area and sometimes further inward depending on how long it's been on. I go through with owners on the downside of the bra and what it did to the finish, show pics on how long it takes to polish out only to see them put the darn thing back on again. If the clearcoat was more of a "Ceramiclear" then keep it. Porsche paint is very soft to begin with. Please keep that in mind.

Todays films are more clear than previous versions and are more resilient to stone chips. I had Armorglove install my film on my Lexus SC430 and was very happy with the results and protection. My new C2S with Aero is also going to get "gloved" as it's also flat black. If it gets damaged in anyway, I can just replace the film. Since the film does not have any UV protection, paint will remain the same in any type of fade.

Trust me, no one is more **** than I am when it comes to finishes! I even dropped off a 32oz bottle of Menzerna P085RD to the dealer prep shop to use prior to the film going on. Prep shop does excellent work and I've viewed the skill levels and tools used. However, after the film is on, I'm arriving to apply Zaino to the finish myself.

Enjoy your "P" car! I know I will!!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 04-10-2006, 02:43 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
My new C2S with Aero is also going to get "gloved" as it's also flat black.
Flat black??? Hey Jim, I didn't know you could order a primer color as your finish coat!

I think the word you were looking for is solid black.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

DOH!

I mean solid black, no metallic

Deanski

Quick Reply: Pics of new speedlingerie bra