Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An unpleasant aspect of Porsche ownership?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 11:50 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jjporsch43
...it's not the PU's but the AH's...
Okay, I give up. What's a PU? ..
Old 03-28-2006, 12:05 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

For some reason the car that either challenges me the most or buzzes me is the Audi. I don't know why, but its the people in the Audi's who are jealous the most. I just had it happen again this past weekend. As for street racing, I don't do it. Nothing good can come from it.

Jay
Old 03-28-2006, 12:12 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Boy, do I know what you're talking about. Initally it was like being invisible and I loved it. But, then all the magazines started praising it and within two months... attention. Sucks.

I found a way to put a quick end to it though. Solution - I always have a digital camera where I can reach it. You'd be AMAZED at how quickly the idiocy stops and they drop back or move on when they see the camera.

Teenage idiots mostly though an old man in an old truck did try to freak me out by beginning to change lanes right into me as he had eye contact with me in his sideview mirror. I calmly braked to get a shot of his plate. Bitter ol' f#@% sped off when the camera came up.

And the joke goes something like ...****** drive Porsches? Amazingly reversed.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:27 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Okay, I give up. What's a PU? ..
Ben PU = pickup(s)
Old 03-28-2006, 06:42 AM
Marsellus Wallace
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have people trying to race me quite frequently.Also people behind do drive too close sometimes,and also find that some vehicles you pass on the motorway suddenly speed up and want to overtake you.The worst that has happened to me was a group of teenagers threw a plastic bottle at the car as I was driving past.I stopped the car and chased them but Ive put on a few pounds recently and could not catch them!Just as well-I was in such a rage I would have done some serious harm to them if I would have caught them.

I remember in the mid 1980's a friend of my brother in law bought a brand new lamborghini countach and an old couple in an ancient ford fiesta smashed into the back of him whilst they were trying to see what make of car it was by its badges on the back.Made a real mess of his car and cost him many times the value of the vehicle that crashed into him to put right!!!
Old 03-28-2006, 07:31 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

LOL I know exactly what you mean. I was merely test driving a 996 with an aero kit. For those of you from the greater Baltimore area, I took a spirited drive down the twisties on Warren road and then went to Paper Mill, and then back onto York road on my way to Valley Motors. As soon as I got on York road, a Honda Civic with a stove pipe muffler begins to tail gate me. I mean York road is not exactly a good place to race since the traffic is almost always heavy and there are traffic lights every couple of blocks. Anyway since I ignored him, he wipped around me and then drove his car in front of the 996, leaving about two feet of space between the cars. I'm still trying to understand what I did to infuriate this guy.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:26 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by DJ23
For some reason the car that either challenges me the most or buzzes me is the Audi. I don't know why, but its the people in the Audi's who are jealous the most. I just had it happen again this past weekend. As for street racing, I don't do it. Nothing good can come from it.

Jay
Whether driving my BMW or the Porsche, it's the volkswagon guys who act like lunatics around me, notably the GTI drivers.

In the Porsche, the 'merican cars leave me alone, but the buzzy STi's and Evos seem to have an affinity for me.

Did have a Ford Powerstroke Diesel 1 ton 4 door pickup (complete with duallies) try to chase me down a windy canyon road once. He was using All Four Lanes to try to catch me. I was LMAO watching him work it in my rear view. I think he had O.D.'d on Nascar Truck Series and was testing out his skillz. Crazy redneck.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:30 AM
drbf
Pro

Had one person pull up next to me and said "better fix that trunk lid it's loose. It opened comming down the hwy"
Old 03-28-2006, 11:16 AM
MMD
Banned

Maybe you're misinterpreting a bit. I see lots of these "challenges" as kids excited to be around the Porsche, or car guys just wanting to oggle the car and make "thumbs up" contact. They can see us as the ultimate hot-rodders and speed demons and want to "play." IOW, they're just car guys like we are, love Porsches, and not necessarily people who "hate" us for affording Porsches.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Carbon_Ted
Advanced

Originally Posted by MMD
Maybe you're misinterpreting a bit. I see lots of these "challenges" as kids excited to be around the Porsche, or car guys just wanting to oggle the car and make "thumbs up" contact. They can see us as the ultimate hot-rodders and speed demons and want to "play." IOW, they're just car guys like we are, love Porsches, and not necessarily people who "hate" us for affording Porsches.
Agree, oftentimes this is the case - but not when they ride five inches off your starboard hull, daring the driver of the Porsche to make a move one way or the other.

One thing that I have found which helps to deter some of this provocative behaviour when owning more expensive or exotic cars is applying 50% window tint (legal in every state if I'm not mistaken) uniformly on all windows except the windshield. The buggers are less sure of who they are dealing with, so aren't quite as bold; and you'll have a cooler interior in summer and 50% is not so dark as to detract from the beauty of the car.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Many years ago when driving my narrow-body turbo (with whale tail) I had my mother in the car, and as we were driving along she commented to me (as she was rarely with me), "do you know that EVEYONE looks at this car?" I had been driving Porsches for so many years I had pretty much forgotten how much of that goes on around you in a Porsche. There is essentially no way to stay stealthy in a Porsche and in time you'll just take it all in stride and just nod politely back at the nicer folks. For the idiots who want to 'play' wth you it just takes a little restraint,--as usually there will be a cop around the next corner who will take care of that problem boulevard racer.

Dan
Old 03-28-2006, 12:22 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbon_Ted
One thing that I have found which helps to deter some of this provocative behaviour when owning more expensive or exotic cars is applying 50% window tint (legal in every state if I'm not mistaken) uniformly on all windows except the windshield.
Yes, you are mistaken:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...2&postcount=26
Old 03-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Carbon_Ted
Advanced

Originally Posted by OCBen
Thanks Ben, I stand corrected. That pesky California legislature!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:00 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by drbf
Had one person pull up next to me and said "better fix that trunk lid it's loose. It opened comming down the hwy"
Old 03-28-2006, 01:52 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

As Dan mentioned, it seems that you can't escape the looks. Personally, I keep to the right, don't weave in and out or do things to intentionally draw attention to me or the car. There's lots of crazies out there not to mention uninsured motorists and generally who has more to lose--you or someone driving a 1970s vintage van or a Honda Civic with a beer can for a tail pipe?

OTOH, I've had several people approach me at gas stations and ask about the car. I always thank them for their interest and try to be an "ambassador" of sorts for other Porsche drivers/owners. IMHO what each of us does reflects on all who drive Porsches.

Caught a post on rennteam the other day where a guy was apologizing for losing a street drag race to an E55. The poster said he backed off at 120 because it was a city street!

Just my .02

Quick Reply: An unpleasant aspect of Porsche ownership?