Sponsored by:

Detailing Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 01:16 AM
Snoopy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing Question

Washed and waxed car on Saturday. It rained last night. I would like to go over the car with some Adam's Quick Detail Spray to clean it up and get rid of the water spots. Is this okay or is the risk of scratching too great? I can't wash it until Saturday. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2006, 01:24 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If the hard water has already dried chances are the water spots you see are etchings in the paint, and no amount of detail spray will remove it. Do a search and get the information you're after. Never mind:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...2&postcount=28

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=water+spots

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=water+spots

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/arti...p?articleId=15
Old 03-22-2006, 01:56 AM
Snoopy
Racer

I also posted on autopia.org and got some good info re using the quick detailer. The spots came off just fine and the car looks nice. Will get me through until my usual Saturday wash.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:16 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Ah yes, good 'ol Autopia. You may also want to look at Detailcity.org

Regards,
Deanski
Old 03-22-2006, 08:28 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default German Paints

Here is a required read on German finishes.

German Paint FInishes

Deanski
Old 03-22-2006, 10:17 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Deanski
Here is a required read on German finishes.

German Paint FInishes

Deanski
That's also one of my referenced articles in the first link in my signature here, if people would only bother to take the time to check it out.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...2&postcount=46

Last edited by OCBen; 03-22-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OCBen
That's also one of my referenced articles in the first link in my signature here, if people would only bother to take the time to check it out.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...2&postcount=46
DOH!

Sorry big guy!

Deanski
Old 03-22-2006, 12:04 PM
OCBen
Banned

Having one of those ****ty days again, Weissy? ... Seems to be chronic with you, huh?

Jim (aka Deanski) and I are being playful here. He knows I'm just teasing him. Go ahead ask him.

And why don't you mind your own business and not butt in on others' conversations. Seems to be a habit with you....along with your ****ty moods.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Oh boy, here we go...

Soon :lock:

I'm going to go and detail a car now... You guys play nice now!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 03-22-2006, 12:35 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I swore I'd never get a black car again but I went and bought a C4S Coupe. Still too cold in Denver to do the first polish but want to get ready. I've used Zaino products before on other cars but don't see many references to this on Porsche websites. I want to get rid of the very minor scratches you see under direct light on black cars. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Ohhh nooo... Ben May I?

Please see OCBEN sig for links on just that topic. It just keeps the thread from building and building.

Anyway, A fine polish such as P21S Paintwork Cleanser, Menzerna FPII and a black or other finish pad will do.

Are you going to use Z-5 first? That also does a fine job for fine spiderwebbing.

Deanski
Old 03-22-2006, 12:52 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I've used Zaino products before on other cars but don't see many references to this on Porsche websites. I want to get rid of the very minor scratches you see under direct light on black cars. Any recommendations? Thanks.
I'll defer to Deanski here, he's a pro on the Zaino products, if that's what you're interested in using.

I acknowledge my ignorance when it comes to Zaino - never used them, can't speak for them. So, Jim, please, by all means, help this guy out with your knowledge.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

OK,

For black finish to look really good with Zaino, the prep is the toughest part.
Use a "PC" Porter-Cable 7424 type polisher and a fine finish pad (no cut) with a fine polish. Make sure you wash, clay and check finish prior to any polishing.
Z5 is designed just for minor spider-webbing effects and to help Z2-Pro along so to speak. I'm sure you're also using the ZFX additive with both, if not, you'll need it. You can apply Z-5 by hand, but with a PC it goes quicker and better results. Always mist the pad first, apply product to cool finish, glide PC to load-up pad then with pad against finish, turn on to 4. Let any polish break down before removing pad.

Prior to Z-5, and after you clay, feel the finish to be sure it's glass smooth. Then polish with your PC in 2 foot sections until the polish breaks down,wipe with a high quality MF towel. Mist area with Z-6 to see results. If fine, start with Z-6 prior to Z-5. Apply Z-5 with ZFX and try just one coat. With ZFX you can layer coats faster. Between coats, always hit finish with Z-6. Apply Z-2 Pro with ZFX, wipe off, Z-6 again and another coat of Z-2 Pro. End with Z-6 lightly over finish. Stand back and enjoy a really bright shine. For more dramatic shine the new Z-8 spray is great to really bring it up one more notch. Not to be used as often as Z-6, Z-8 is a high-end QD spray.

You can go with any fine polish, but I still stay with Menzerna a German polish that has very good results on blacks. Blackfire now sells the consumer line of the Menzerna P085RD which was Menzerna's response to hard clearcoats called Ceramiclear. As the clearcoat was curing on the line, they (MB and Maybach) would use this very polish to bring up the finish to flawless level. Due to the paint still curing, it's safe to also use on regular type clearcoats.

Autopia and Detailcity are great resources!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 03-22-2006, 01:29 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Deanski
You can go with any fine polish, but I still stay with Menzerna a German polish that has very good results on blacks. Blackfire now sells the consumer line of the Menzerna P085RD...
Jim, that sounds like a great product. Do you have a link to your source of purchase? I'd like to give this product a try. TIA.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Blackfire/Menzerna

Here ya go:

Blackfire

Although they claim to say not to use it on non-Ceramiclear, both myself and many other have use this very same formulation of Menzerna P085RD on all finishes with very good results.
Menzerna also makes a more aggressive version of P085RD called P0106FF which is same, but more abrasives in it.

Then there's: Blackfire Gloss Haven't tried this one, as I normally get polishes in 32oz containers or gallons.

Deanski

Quick Reply: Detailing Question