Sponsored by:

Detailing Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 04:35 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
One day, you have to try some of the Menzerna polishes.
I'm actually going to order some right away.

Which one is the finest polish in their product line?

Have you ever used the German product P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion? I use a similar product of the same name but by Pinnacle. I use it and recommend it for stripping away old wax instead of using a harsh dish washing detergent, and for use as a fine polish prior to sealing and waxing.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:04 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yes, P21S Cleanser is one very fine polish.

As for Menzerna, currently, the Final Polish II is the lowest level polish they have now in the USA. They also market a glaze which would replace 3M IHG in your case.

Here's a link direct to Menzerna Germany. MENZERNA GERMANY On the top drop down menu titled "Applications" select Auto CLearcoats and once it loads, on the left is the product data as to which polish is which.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 03-25-2006, 12:40 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Question

My apologies for hijacking this thread, but I did not want to start a completely new one with yet another of my ignorant new-to-everything questions.

Okay, here it goes (deep breath). When you hand-wash your cars, where do you do that? I was going to give my girl her first bath tomorrow in my driveway. Should I be concerned about the driveway developing stains etc. because of the stuff I use (such as wheel cleaning spray)? Or is concrete resistant to these products? If not resistent, should I still use the driveway and then use concrete cleaner (or Coca-Cola, as was suggested in this forum), or should I wash her somewhere else? What are you guys doing? Thanks!
Old 03-25-2006, 12:55 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

If it will stain the concrete...I would not use it on the car!
Old 03-25-2006, 01:12 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wross996tt
If it will stain the concrete...I would not use it on the car!
Good point. How about the brake dust that's coming off the car? Any problems with that?
Old 03-25-2006, 01:35 AM
OCBen
Banned

You CANNOT be serious! (in the words and tone of John McEnroe)

Wolfgang, don't tell my you've never washed a car before in your life! ... I can't seriously believe what you're asking.

Coca Cola???? ... Where in this forum have you read anything as absurd as that? ... And what kind of wheel cleaning stuff are you planning on using? ... Have you read my thread at all on car washing? ... You won't go wrong with my recommended products and advice.

Talk to me Bro, what do you need to know?
Old 03-25-2006, 02:19 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCBen
don't tell my you've never washed a car before in your life!
Be nice to me, because it gets worse... until three years ago, I had never lived in a place with a driveway (inner-city kid, mid-20s high school equivalency exam, late-20s college freshman). The first car I owned that really deserved cleaning was the 350Z I bought two years ago, but I used the automated carwash. So, yes, indeed I'm a car-wash virgin. And when I read your cleaning info and some other threads on cleaning, I came across the one where the driveway was messed up; and, yes, one of the suggestions was to use Coca-Cola (confirmed by another person). Anyway, I rather expose my stupidity here than via a messed up driveway.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:08 PM
OCBen
Banned

So sorry to hear of your lack of experience when it comes to DIY car washing, Wolfgang, but you're in good hands among us.

As WRoss pointed out, if it will harm your concrete, I would not use it on the car, but I really don't know of anything that will stain your concrete that you would put on your car. There may be some tire dressing that is black in color that effectively works like a coloring agent that might stain your concrete, but I would never recommend a product like that, nor would anyone here for that matter.

As for brake dust, as you clean your wheels and hose them off the brake dust in the soap solution will of course get on your concrete, but at that point it is diluted and will wash away along with the soapy water toward the curb. But I don't believe you have a massive accumulation of brake dust on your wheels for there ever to be a concern. If you enjoy keeping the concrete in your driveway in a pristine white condition (as I would like to keep mine in a new house), just hose down all the waste water to the curb and off your driveway.

My apologies for being alarmed at your "state of virginity" when it comes to washing a car. You are a brave man for admitting that, but there are never stupid questions when it comes to learning, only stupid people for not asking and then doing things all wrong regrettably.

If I lived near you I would glady come over to give you moral support as I watch you do it yourself and guide you if need be and answer any questions you might have.

We'll make a detailing pro out of you yet. I salute you for deciding against taking your beautiful Porsche to an automated carwash.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:15 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ben,
what would you charge to detail a car?
Old 03-25-2006, 04:15 PM
OCBen
Banned

For you, beer & pizza.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:20 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
For you, beer & pizza.
sounds like a steal!
forgot to mention i was in town with my car!
be over shortly!
Old 03-25-2006, 04:24 PM
OCBen
Banned

Come on over, I'm hungry and thirsty. ..
Old 03-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Ben, you are too funny. Anyway, since I'm telling my students never to pretend knowing something when they don't and to just ask, I'm trying to be a role model here (like a typical business professor, I really only have expertise related to my field; oh, and I know a lot about soccer - playing soccer was my ticket out). Anyway, you would have had fun today... Like a little girl I went shopping for Rennlist-(OCBen)-approved cleaning products... Whenever they tried to talk me into something else, I would say "don't mess with Ben"... well, not really, but I DID stick to my list.

My goal is to have a car so shiny that - like in your picture - I can see the reflection of my girlfriend in it. However, in my case, she wont' even have to be here to be seen: it'll be THAT shiny!
Old 03-25-2006, 10:45 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
My goal is to have a car so shiny that - like in your picture - I can see the reflection of my girlfriend in it. However, in my case, she wont' even have to be here to be seen: it'll be THAT shiny!
Then, my friend, you will have created a car so shiny that it becomes a crystal ball! ..

Quick Reply: Detailing Question