Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HVAC Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006 | 08:07 PM
Legalkix
Instructor

Default HVAC Question

I've noticed that the hvac in my c2s cab is pretty anemic compared to the cyclonic force of say my benz or even most domestic vehicles.

Note: It gets pretty dang hot sitting at those red lights around here in the summer time when its 104 in the shade and there ain't any. In my town, the traffic engineers (there's an oxymoron) think that the solution to every traffic problem is installation of a signal so there are several areas where you can travel less than 100 yards between three or four signals. So no snide comments about the fact that I'm driving a drop top please!

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on this? Is this something that is "normal" or should I be beating on the service department to address this before the peak of summer?

Thanks all.
Old 03-20-2006 | 08:15 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Can you share more with me on what inadequacies you are experiencing? I have to admit that most of my Porsches had pretty miserable a/c systems in them,--yet I know German engineering has mastered a/c systems in many other German cars I have owned (Mercedes, and VW).

dan
Old 03-20-2006 | 08:24 PM
Snoopy
Racer

I have to say that I agree. It just doesn't seem very powerful to me. My 3 series had a stronger A/C system.
Old 03-20-2006 | 08:44 PM
Legalkix
Instructor

Inadequacy in airflow seems to be the most prominent thing. Even with the top up unless I crank the fan up manually to high, I rarely feel any airflow on my face from the upper vents. Sounds to me like this is endemic to p-cars... such are the crosses we must bear driving one of the most exhilarating cars in the world...poor us!
Old 03-20-2006 | 08:59 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I was under the impression that they had worked that issue,--apparently not. When Porsche finally added central a/c vents in 1976 they were only STARTING to route air where it is needed. Later, in 1985, they enlarged the ducts,--but still woefully inadequate. It's not one of their finer performances. If it's an issue of air speed coming through the ducts there is little that can be done. The 'squirrel cage' is as big as they can make it for the place they put it. Duct routing is also defined in such a way that there is little that can be done. The next time I'm sitting in a 997 I'll check it out. I had thought they had that little thing sorted out by now.

dan
Old 03-20-2006 | 09:02 PM
Legalkix
Instructor

Thanks...your comments are appreciated.. By the way, as a long time resident of Carpinteria, Santa Barbara and an alum of SBCC and UCSB..I'm jealous...
Old 03-20-2006 | 09:54 PM
OCBen
Banned

I happen to think the AC system works quite adequately to the point that it sometimes gets too cold when I have it on, which hasn't been lately due to the cold spell we've been under. But when I have it full blast, it's quite forceful and will form icicles on my goatee if I'm not careful - well, okay, maybe I haven't left it on for that long, but it does a chillin' job.
Old 03-20-2006 | 10:22 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Agree with OCBen, the AC works great in my 997S

Old 03-20-2006 | 11:02 PM
Legalkix
Instructor

Well then maybe I'll have them check it out at the dealer. They can always tell me I'm crazy...which would be par for the course for my dealer.
Old 03-20-2006 | 11:52 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

For that cool in your face cyclonic force
you need one of these:

Koolatron 12V Oscillating Auto 6" Fan - Clip On
Old 03-21-2006 | 12:00 AM
Legalkix
Instructor

That'll look so fantastic in the P-car...I have got to get me one of those...right after the organ pipes for the back deck and the doggie bobble head up front....
Old 03-21-2006 | 04:26 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Don’t forget the dice cubes in the front rear view mirror. On topic my A/C works fantastic after owning the 964 and 993! The A/C on the 997 is adequate for Florida (humidity)!
Old 03-21-2006 | 06:41 PM
aaoun
Instructor

are you specifically hitting the button that directs the flow towards your face?
Old 03-21-2006 | 06:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Legalkix
Well then maybe I'll have them check it out at the dealer. They can always tell me I'm crazy...which would be par for the course for my dealer.

Greetings from Santa Barbara. (I'm also a UCSB and SBCC alum), only recently returned to SB in 2001.

What you can always get is one of these Raytek temp gauges that will remotely give you your temperature so that you can give the workshop a definite temperature to work from (better than, 'it feels warm.')

It also is GREAT for checking tire temps on your car at the track! They're less than $100 and available on ebay, etc.

Dan

see image:
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2006 | 07:20 PM
texas911
Race Car

Here is something I've noticed and might help you, when I set my HVAC to full auto, for some reason, it shoots air up into the windshield (defroster vents) as well as the dash vents when the a/c is on. I only noticed this because my 997 always had condensation on the windshield at the vent area. Houston gets pretty humid in the summer. Drove me crazy, so I manually set the vents to go only on the dash. Much to my surprise, it actually felt stronger when I did that.

You may not notice this in Cali where it isn't humid.

Quick Reply: HVAC Question