Sponsored by:

Thoughts on 997 vs. 996 and comments on a few options

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 09:15 PM
nicoff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on 997 vs. 996 and comments on a few options

After letting go of my 996 Cab about a year ago I have been driving a 997 Cab for a few days now and share the following thoughts on both vehicles.
Performance:
Although on paper there is not much HP difference between the two, the 997 does feel quicker. Not by much, but it feels better.
Stiffness
The 997 Cab does feel much more solid than the 996 Cab. No more rattling noises when going through bumps, potholes, etc.
Interior
No comparison, the 997 interior is much nicer than that of my old 2002 996.
Driving
The 997 seems to hold to the road much better. It is more responsive and refined.
Looks
The wider end of the base 997 versus the 996 makes it more attractive to most people ( a few friends have noticed). Also (subjective here) I also prefer the round headlights and the front of the 997.

Overall, I am pleasantly surprised at the actual differences between the two vehicles. While on paper there might not be much difference between the two, driving both vehicles leads me to the conclusion that Porsche did a very nice job with the 997.

Thoughts on various options:
Full leather. These vehicles should come with full leather standard. You pay 90k for a vehicle and unless you pay extra for the full leather option the plastic interior cheapens this vehicle. Is it worth $3k? Well, the leather package is very nice albeit overpriced. Without the leather package, my old 996 looked cheap by comparison. I would swallow hard and go with full leather.
Xenon/Dimming Mirrors. The xenon lights option is a must in my opinion, specially if you drive at night (dimming mirrors are also nice if you do a lot of night driving).
Heated Seats. The heated seats and windstop options are a must for any convertible. Take the top down, install the windstop, turn up the temperature, turn on the heated seats switch, and you can literally travel topless very confortably with the outside temperature in the mid-forties. That can make a Cab usable even most winter days unless you live too far north.
Sport chrono? I certainly do not need this. Besides it looks ugly, IMHO. Next time I can save 1,000 bucks.
Bose stereo. I believe that there is no such a thing as an audiohile system for a car. While the Bose does sound better that the regular stereo I am not sure that this option is worth $1,400.
Many options in these cars seem to have no other purpose than aesthetic. Most non p-car people will care less if the vehicle has a Porsche insignia on the seats or a carbon-fiber this or that. Those willing to spend the money and "personalize" a car are probably already aware that at the time of selling, most buyers will not appreciate the "details". Moreover, the buyer will most likely not be willing to pay for those "frills". So feel free to personalize the car, just do not expect others to appreciate the effort you put into selecting whatever options you choose.

Old 03-19-2006, 09:24 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Agreed, the 997 is a beautiful refinement of the 996 in almost all regards.
Jack
Old 03-20-2006, 01:37 AM
ds2k1
Racer

Nicoff,

Thanks for the thoughtful comparison of the new to the old. When you say that you "certainly do not need" the sport chrono option, why is that? Can you elaborate a little? Other than the wart on the dash (which, I must say, I find to be kinda cool), do you not care for the faster throttle response, or do you not really notice it? It seems that most posters I've seen have sworn by this option as the faster throttle response is really noticeable and seems to improve performance.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:49 AM
nicoff
Racer

ds2k1,
I just did not care for the prominent wart on the dash. As far as the throttle response, it is hard for me to judge without comparing it to another 997 that does not have it. I personally feel as if the visible clock is Porsche's way to charge an extra $1k when the same could be accomplished for a fraction of that.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:39 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Thank you for the great comparison comments. It's always very interesting to hear someone compare two models who has owned both for significant periods. Very informative.

My "third party" viewpoint also tells me that the 997 is a great evolutionary step forward from the already excellent 996. Often I will hear comments that Porsche "doesn't go far enough" with model changes, as style etc. is not radically altered. But in more important ways, significant changes have been made and they all build on the excellent base that was already there.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Bullet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be cautious about interpretting differences in "stiffness" and rattles/squeaks when comparing 2 cars, one of which is new.

Also, the exhaust note on the 997 is louder and nicer (yes - even the non-S 997), and that makes the car seem faster and sportier when the #'s would actually likely show no meaningful difference.

A new car will almost always seem better than the older one.

IMO, the differences are mostly styling, and no question, the 997 wins that one hands down.

Just food for thought. Enjoy the new beauty!

-B
Old 03-21-2006, 11:50 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have not yet driven a 997, but I would agree with all the syling comments. I absolutely love the way the 997 looks. I love my 996, but if I had a choice I would choose the 997 front styling. I just love the simple round lights.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:53 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Sport Chrono

Can't you tell the impact of the Sport Chrono on throttle response just by cycling the Sport switch on and off?
Old 03-21-2006, 02:49 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

the new 997 does have a more rigid chassis than the 996, and this is more pronounced and noticable in the cab...this does tend to decrease the number of and potential for squeeks and rattles....the other big difference btw, the 996 and 997 is the ergonomics ....much better in the 997 and also the shifter action is more direct and shorter..clutch up take is also more postive.....
Old 03-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Bullet
Instructor

Originally Posted by scycle2020
the new 997 does have a more rigid chassis than the 996, and this is more pronounced and noticable in the cab...this does tend to decrease the number of and potential for squeeks and rattles....the other big difference btw, the 996 and 997 is the ergonomics ....much better in the 997 and also the shifter action is more direct and shorter..clutch up take is also more postive.....
I would argue that a stiffer chassis might be MORE prone to rattles and squeaks over time, since the forces are transmitted more directly to the other parts of the car that can rattle, like interior moldings and sunroofs, etc. GT3's with their stiff chassis (and stiff suspension . . . ) are known for developing rattles over time, but it's a real race car. Find me a real race car that doesn't rattle.

My take on this 997 vs 996 debate is that the 2 cars are far more similar than they are different. Porsche says they are 80% different - propaganda to me. It's basically the same engine and design with some small changes along the way (including a Japanese gear box that, IMO, feels like a Toyota). Style wise, those small changes amount to a big difference, but not substance wise.

Sure, I would take a 997 over a 996, but for the money that you can get a 996 for these days, I'm not so sure. Incidentally, I am getting a 997S, which seems to be a considerable improvement over the 996.

-B

Last edited by Bullet; 03-22-2006 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Signal-9
Advanced

Japanese gearbox..???

Last I heard Mercedes Benz makes porsche's gearboxes... Did I miss something?
Old 03-21-2006, 10:22 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I have an S which may taint my comparison, but nonetheless I think 997 is a very, very nice step forward. I agree with most of your comments.

Re sport chrono, IMHO its a mandatory option and I like everything about it, EXCEPT the damn "wart". As far as I am concerned, the chrono clock is completely worthless; the timing functions are already displayed elsewhere, and when I am driving I can't focus on the wart long enough to read anything useful. I don't know why PAG doesn't just delete the wart from the sport chrono package. They could always sell it as a separate option for anyone who wanted it, but I doubt they would sell many.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:26 PM
ame546
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

All of this talk is making me more hostile and anticipatory of my 06 c2s cab may/june delivery. I'm going nuts and it's been 8 days..................
Old 03-22-2006, 12:11 AM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Bullet]I would argue that a stiffer chassis might be MORE prone to rattles and squeaks over time, since the forces are transmitted more directly to the other parts of the car that can rattle, like interior moldings and sunroofs, etc. GT3's with their stiff chassis (and stiff suspension . . . ) are known for developing rattles over time, but it's a real race car. Find me a real race car that doesn't rattle.

My take on this 997 vs 996 debate is that the 2 cars are far more similar than they are different. Porsche says they are 80% different - propaganda to me. It's basically the same engine and design with some small changes along the way (including a Japanese gear box that, IMI, feels like a Toyota). Style wise, those small changes amount to a big difference, but not substance wise.

Sure, I would take a 997 over a 996, but for the money that you can get a 996 for these days, I'm not so sure. Incidentally, I am getting a 997S, which seems to be a considerable improvement over the 996.

-B[/QUOTnew S coming???? details??? how is the used 996 market in canada???..great prices to be had on the 996s, definitely a bargin buy at this time..
Old 03-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Bullet
Instructor

The used 996 market is good here, as I imagine it is everywhere. The 996 was the best selling 911 by far. Now that the 997 has arrived, and everyone loves it, 996 prices are sinking fast. It will make driving a modern 911 affordable to many, and the truth is that they'll get MOST of what the 997 offers for a fraction of the cost. IMO, the 996 40th Anniv Edition, which never sold well, can be had for great pries and is the best normally aspirated 996 daily driver. What a beaut.

I'm looking at an Arctic 997S with sport seats, sport chrono, bose, and a few other little goodies. There are a few 911's competing for my money these days actually . . . more details soon I hope!!

-B

Quick Reply: Thoughts on 997 vs. 996 and comments on a few options