Sponsored by:

C4 or C2...hurry

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 01:15 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C4 or C2...hurry

Hi I'm new but have owned many cars, Porsches too and one day I'll get around to talking about them;

For now I have pressing problem:

I live in the Chicago area and I'm buying a 997 S of some flavor as a daily driver, Cab I'll add becuase I drove one and with the top up it has to be one of the quietest Cabs I've driven.

I'm verklempted by the choice between C2 and C4. You have probably debated this issue to nauseum, but I'd like a simple response. I will change to whatever tires are appropriate for the bad weather when the time comes (another question of a different post)

Picking it up tomorrow.

WHICH ONE SHALL I PICK UP?? No equivications here

Yes I like to drive fast and my bias is for C2's but I haven't compared since 01 nad I hear the C4's are better now.

Thanks guys!!!!
Old 03-14-2006, 01:24 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well since you like to drive fast, and you can't drive the C4S fast in bad weather either ....then you should go for the C2S. It'll suit your needs better.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:36 AM
boolala
Race Car

I live in the Chicago area as well. IMO the best alternative is to have a dedicated winter car and get the C2S. If that is not possible then go for the C4S. There are few days in this area when you need AWD but when you need it you really, really need it.

Snow tires are mandatory either way. It's amazing how a good set of snows will almost render your traction control redundant.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:43 AM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Drove 997C4S & 997C2S &996Turbo before made my decision to go with C2S by far. Do not lavor the feel of AWD. I do have AWD SUV winter vehicle however.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:13 PM
MMD
Banned

I'd get the C4 if i were to live in Sweden or Norway or where ever else there's lots of snow to deal with for looooong periods of time. Seems to me in urban and suburban USA, the snowplows have bigtime snowstorms under control a day or so later. As yourself how many days of driving must be done on streets where you can't see the pavement. Keep in mind the rear engine on a C2 provides amazing traction.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:42 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a C4s Cabriolet owner, the only thing I feel like I've sacraficed fby going with a C4s instead of a C2s is:

1. Money - AWD cost more
2. Weight - roughly 75 lbs in the 997 for the AWD - the cab actually pays a bigger weight penalty
3. Drifting - It is damn hard to drift or light up the tires properly in a C2s, and virtually impossible on a C4s

You can read my review of the C4s Cab (see my signature) for more info about the car. I see no other penalties.

I feel like I've gained:

1. Added traction
2. Outstanding looks (I like the wider back end, and people really do notice it in real life moreso than pictures)
3. Lack of drifting - It might be fun to drift on a track, but it isn't fun on a mountain road 100 miles from the nearest human. AWD provides dry weather traction too - especially when roads have leaves, dirt, gravel, etc...
4. Brake-assist and when you release the gas pedal quickly the brake pads move closer to the rotors and the lines pre-fill to allow for a quicker brake response with its tandem brake booster (as opposed to a single on the C2s).
5. Superior steering feel - I wasn't a big fan of the 996 C4s steering feel, but I find the 997 C4s feel to be outstanding.

I've got nearly 900 miles on my 997 C4s Cab and if I had a chance to do it over again, I would. In fact, I'd get the C4s even if it meant I had to wait another year to save the money. To me, it is that good.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:02 PM
drbf
Pro

This is my 2d C4 only way to go.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:35 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by allegretto
WHICH ONE SHALL I PICK UP??
They feel a bit different and you should drive them both and buy the one you like best; not the one Rennlist members like best.

Alan
Old 03-14-2006, 03:51 PM
rmklaw
Instructor

C4s. Only way to go. It is not just a snow issue. Drive it in the wet with slippery roads. Feels like going on tracks.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Persuader
Instructor

C4S all the way. I've had both. Each to their own but my opinions echo the other 4wd advocates posts above and i think the extra charge for the 4wd is reasonable. I've heard as well that in the states you guys get bigger discounts on the 4 than the 2. in the UK we get zip discount on any 911.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd get the C2S.....is that fast enough??
Old 03-14-2006, 11:12 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Persuader
C4S all the way. I've had both. Each to their own but my opinions echo the other 4wd advocates posts above and i think the extra charge for the 4wd is reasonable. I've heard as well that in the states you guys get bigger discounts on the 4 than the 2. in the UK we get zip discount on any 911.
Sadly that is my experience in my part of the US as well. I had to pay full retail and there were plenty of people behind me who would have glady taken my spot if I walked away. If I were single and it wasn't such a hassle, I would have shopped elsewhere in the country for these discounts people are getting in the Southern and Mid-Western states.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:08 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

If you want a sports car buy the C2S. If you want a GT buy the C4S. In Chicago (proving you have snow tires) awd is an irrelevance not worth bothering with. It makes the car feel heavy and cumbersome, corrupts the steering feel, makes it understeer more than it needs to, adds weight so it's slower and it costs more.

But in reality you should go to a good dealer and drive both back to back and then decide which YOU prefer.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:10 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmart
4. Brake-assist and when you release the gas pedal quickly the brake pads move closer to the rotors and the lines pre-fill to allow for a quicker brake response with its tandem brake booster (as opposed to a single on the C2s).
Pretty sure brake assist is on the C2S as well.

I bought a C2S because I noticed the weight of the C4 I drove (996), I have a daily driver/winter vehicle and there is already so much grip in 2wd on pavement in the summer that 4wd was overkill.

If I were to drive it in the winter the C4 makes some sense but so does buying a CR-V for the difference between a C2 & C4 for the winter.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:42 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Being a Newbe here I’m impressed with the help you’ve all afforded.

Being that I’ve owned many new cars and 5 911’s previously I knew I had to drive ‘em both hard today. Last night was only a light shakedown.

I went this afternoon to the dealer and told him I was taking each one out for a serious ride. He said, “have fun” and tossed me the keys.

As far as the differences intrinsic to the setups I’d say you are all right. The C2 steers with one finger if necessary. The front end is so relatively light, vs. just about any serious machinery that it is almost eerie. Turn in is a twitch away, reflexive in nature. The C4 is a little heavier (only a little) but the torque, even in its “5%” mode is noticeable, more so than the weight.
After a few rips through my favorite local “test track” I found that an agressive throttle during turn in with the 4 was just as fast as the 2 but still not as light feeling.

But, my new found cronies, the real rush was present with both. I’ve played with heavy iron and NOTHING is as intuitive as a Porsche. Tell it what you want and that’s exactly what it does. Spooky really.

Anyway, the thing that sealed the deal, and I mean blew me away was, not the adaptive sport seats (as beguiling as they are), not the sport exhaust note (as sweet a siren’s song as any), but that sport shifter. It takes less of an effort to switch a gear than it does to ____ my ____. The only car that I know that has as sweet a shifter is the underappriciated Honda S 2000. Wowey Zowey!!!

Anyway, after a lot of thought (daily driver, daily driver, daily driver...) I bought the C4S as below;
X70 - Metal Door Sill Model Insignia
XSC - Porsche Crest in Headrest
XLF - Sport Exhaust System
XCZ - Sport Shifter
M6A - Black Mats - Porsche lettering
692 - Remote CD Changer (6 Disc)
680 - Bose High End Sound Package
670 - Navigation for PCM
C02 - U.S. Standard/Emissions
482 - TPMS
446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
431 - 3-Spoke Str Whl Multifctn lthr
342 - Heated Front Seats
267 - Self Dimming Mirrors
P01L - Adaptive Sport Sts Lthr Int
640 - Sport Chrono Package Plus

Thanks so much for your honest input. I look forward to learning from all of you.

Quick Reply: C4 or C2...hurry