Sponsored by:

Full leather seats and daily exposure to bright sun

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Full leather seats and daily exposure to bright sun

Hi 997 Gang, I did my homework but I'm still not sure my question has really been answered as I have come across conflicting posts. So here it goes...

So far I have been reluctant to order the full leather seat option as my car will be exposed to bright sunlight for many hours every day (school parking lot in Louisiana, 86 degrees today!). From what I have read, this simply cannot be good for the leather. Correct me if this is wrong.

Now, if I decide to ignore the advice of not getting leather in such an environment, apparently there are a bunch of leather care products that can decrease the effects of this kind of sun exposure. My question: How OFTEN (in terms of frequency) would you have to apply these leather treatments to avoid sun damage to your seat? I have seen "biweekly" and I have seen "once a year" and anything in between. Because I am quite aware of my inherent lazyness, what's the real deal for heavy sunlight exposure? Thank you!
Old 03-11-2006, 12:32 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new sputtered metal window films give very good UV protection. By filming all the windows and using a windshield screen when parked, you should have the UV handled.

The constant heat is another matter, but wouldn't the hight humidity tend to prevent the leather from drying out? We are the opposite here, but not as dry as Arizona.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:35 AM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete Lech
The new sputtered metal window films give very good UV protection. By filming all the windows and using a windshield screen when parked, you should have the UV handled.

The constant heat is another matter, but wouldn't the hight humidity tend to prevent the leather from drying out? We are the opposite here, but not as dry as Arizona.
I have to agree with Pete. Hardly a place with more sun than Scottsdale. Tint the windows, even a light, 50%, tint will keep out the UV rays. Use a sunshade and you should be fine.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:51 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Cows don't seem to mind the heat, so I doubt your leather will. The problem is really color fading and lack of moisture to the hide that you have to worry about.

I agree with the recommendation to get a UV protectant film for the windows, and I'd recommend you condition your leather at least quarterly and you should be fine. The heat and humidity aren't a problem for the leather, but the UV rays are.

BTW, I spent the first 24 years of my life in Lousyana (New Orleans for 22) and I know that tinted windows helped a lot on my fabric interiors as well.

Choosing a light leather helps a lot too.

Although I'm not sure if it is safe for my full-leather interior, a product Sonus Total Eclipse (http://autopia-carcare.com/son7008.html) might help as well. Contact Autopia for more info since the owner, David, has several Porsches.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:58 AM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Have you thought of perhaps getting a cover for your car. I use the Porsche Silverguard on my car with full leather interior (dark grey) since I also have to leave my car parked on the sun on the weekdays (So Cal sun that is). I feed the leather dashboard, doors, etc twice a year with Lexol Conditioner (I only use the cleaner/conditioner combo for the seats with more frequency), and the leather continues to look and feel like brand new.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:18 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with the cover. IMO I'd have a hard time letting my baby sit there baking in the sun all day.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:44 PM
drbf
Pro

Use a sun shade against the windshield they work great. You can get one that is an exact fit.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:49 PM
djantlive
Drifting

I use a car cover as well since I want to protect my soft top. If you don't want to spend the time putting up the cover or live somewhere windy, I'd use a windshield sun shade and tint the windows. Leaving the window open a little also may help.

I know people w full leather that have shrinked dash. It's covered under warranty.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:07 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Thanks, everyone, that helped already!
Old 03-12-2006, 01:34 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Agree with previous posts...tint the windows, sunshade for front window and cover of you can...also for UV protection for leather try the Aerospace 303. It is a great product and will protect leather from UV!

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=home
Old 03-12-2006, 12:24 PM
MMD
Banned

Get a car cover and use it: case closed. UV is verrrry bad. Go to a marina and look at new boats, after a year in the sun they look like cr*p. Owners have to constantly apply protectant to them or get covers to avoid the damage. After a year in the sun your whole car will look like sheet unless you cover it.

Quick Reply: Full leather seats and daily exposure to bright sun