Sponsored by:

Front licence plate in California

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 09:17 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

My wife just got a ticket for no plates (didn't want them on since we got the car in February); we put the rear plate on and she wanted to leave the front off, but I convinced her it just wasn't worth the hassle. I just got the gominigo tow hook mount front brackets for both our cars. (http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-Porsche.html ). I am probably going to put it on the TT too. I sense greatly increased enforcement recently, I'm sure for revenue purposes, so I think I'm just going to bite the bullet to avoid the potential hassles.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:46 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Municipalities are cash strap and they are looking into every avenue to make money. No front license plate, stopping in the red zone while dropping off kids, no parking during street cleaning are easy money for city to collect. LOL, I got sited for buildind a non-permited garden block wall. $100 fine plus triple the permits fee ($225) for a lousy 6'ht 25'L block wall. City is poor and enforcing the rules is the a good source of income.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:49 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MyEmily
Municipalities are cash strap and they are looking into every avenue to make money. No front license plate, stopping in the red zone while dropping off kids, no parking during street cleaning are easy money for city to collect. LOL, I got sited for buildind a non-permited garden block wall. $100 fine plus triple the permits fee ($225) for a lousy 6'ht 25'L block wall. City is poor and enforcing the rules is the a good source of income.
Agreed. Two cities that are writing no front plate tickets while car is parked are South Pasadena and Beverly Hills.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by H20NOO
I have the moweraxle tow hook plate mount and have used it a couple of times to "fix" a ticket. It's very clean as the license plate covers the backing plate and nothing touches the bumper of the car. Most importantly for me, it doesn't block the center radiator that is on X-51 and Tiptronic cars.

MC
Actually, I designed it to flip out of the way. Will post a photo sometime.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Giacomo
Pro

I just had a vinyl decal made of the front licence plate and stuck it onto the front of my BoxsterS. From 20' you couldn't tell the difference and when an officer is driving by at 50 miles/hr they surely can't tell the difference. I was never stopped for the lack of a front plate. When I bring the 997 up next week I will try it and then post some pics.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Giacomo
I just had a vinyl decal made of the front licence plate and stuck it onto the front of my BoxsterS. From 20' you couldn't tell the difference and when an officer is driving by at 50 miles/hr they surely can't tell the difference. I was never stopped for the lack of a front plate. When I bring the 997 up next week I will try it and then post some pics.
Trust me. In California, they will find something wrong with that!
Old 10-26-2009, 08:17 PM
gaffer
2nd Gear

why cant we have the same size plate on the front as a motorbike
ore for that matter on the back as well, I have never understood why the difference in size.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

I make one that attaches to the front tow hook inlet ( even if you need it just to pass MV Inspection )
It installs in just a few minutes, no holes to drill and nothing touches the bumper
If you need one please contact me at :
stumberger_r@msn.com
total cost including shipping in US is $ 37.50
Attached Images  

Last edited by Rolf Stumberger; 11-22-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:47 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

(Update: Worked like a charm..)

Finished my stonsho license plate installation.. Will drive it later to make sure the radar works ok.. If not, the plate holder can be cut to the right size, but it seems like it will work..

Last edited by PorscheACC; 08-10-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:56 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I have been thinking about buying a static decal to put on top of the Xpel wrap in hopes it will prevent a ticket. Not sure if that will make things worse or better when I do get pulled over, but it might prevent those cops that just catch a glance and then pull you over for NFP. Texas.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:45 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
I have been thinking about buying a static decal to put on top of the Xpel wrap in hopes it will prevent a ticket. Not sure if that will make things worse or better when I do get pulled over, but it might prevent those cops that just catch a glance and then pull you over for NFP. Texas.
I've been thinking about designing some type of Velcro mount that we can put in the opening under the bumper.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:23 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

I like Dan's mount but I don't think it will meet Texas regs. for height from the ground.

Texas Administrative Code in Section 217.27 that states a vehicle “must display two license plates, one at the exterior front and one at the exterior rear of the vehicle that are securely fastened at the exterior front and rear of the vehicle in a horizontal position of not less than 12 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom . . .”

And the good news - not clear where this stands right now. (committee? )

https://www.motor1.com/news/304256/t...license-plate/

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/86...l/HB00673I.htm
Old 08-10-2019, 07:25 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by street rod
I've been thinking about designing some type of Velcro mount that we can put in the opening under the bumper.
That could work too but I don't want an aluminum plate to fly off at 100mph and gouge the paint and I don't want to block airflow.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:52 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
That could work too but I don't want an aluminum plate to fly off at 100mph and gouge the paint and I don't want to block airflow.
If it has to be 1 foot off the ground then my idea would not work anyway. I hope this bill really does go into effect Sept. 1. That would be great. I remember hearing something about this a while back but for some reason I thought it got voted down.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:04 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I live in West LA and work in Santa Monica. I don't have the front license plate and so far have not been ticketed (I've had the car since Sept.). I keep the front plate in the car, but don't intend to attach it.
I have owned Porsche's for 25 years in CA and never put a front plate on and have never been ticketed for it. I do keep it in the front trunk mounted on the tow hook bracket though just in case.
My CHP good friend said as long as your acting respectful while driving CHP will not pull you over for it BUT if you get stopped for other violations they will write you up on it.

Quick Reply: Front licence plate in California