Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front licence plate in California

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 141 Posts

There is an aftermarket mounting bracket available that screws into the tow hook hole. I've been considering it myself; after having 2 no front plate parking tickets in Los Angeles over the previous 2 decades (and none when pulled over, knocking wood), yesterday I received the 3rd one this year. I guess we have to cover the budget deficits somewhow...
Old 06-03-2009, 05:41 PM
westlaker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
There is an aftermarket mounting bracket available that screws into the tow hook hole. I've been considering it myself; after having 2 no front plate parking tickets in Los Angeles over the previous 2 decades (and none when pulled over, knocking wood), yesterday I received the 3rd one this year. I guess we have to cover the budget deficits somewhow...
Do you have a link to a place where we can buy this device?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:10 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by cvanslyk
Do you have a link to a place where we can buy this device?
Here's one place:

http://www.moweraxle.com/
Old 06-07-2009, 01:24 AM
speedbagger
Rennlist Member

lots out there to search.............

http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...0b0af330ec09bb

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...ate-hider.html
Old 06-07-2009, 02:09 AM
beachview
Instructor

That tow plate mount looks disgusting...I rather pay the $25 ticket
Old 06-07-2009, 03:54 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 128 Posts

I simply developed my own plate bracket which avoids drilling into our shiny noses. It doesn't look half bad. N/A for Tiptronic cars as it could impact air flow to the central cooler.
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2009, 05:24 AM
jrb15
7th Gear

Dan,

Looks very good. Could you give some more information on what exactly you did?

JB
Old 06-07-2009, 01:04 PM
westlaker
Instructor

The ticket was $202 or I'd just pay it.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrb15
Dan,

Looks very good. Could you give some more information on what exactly you did?

JB
All I did was to remove the center filler panel (not there, however, if you have a Tiptronic tranny, or the X51 package), drill 4 holes along the top of that filler panel (black ABS plastic) and mount with fender washers, 4 hefty stainless steel bolts and secure them with nuts, leaving about 3/4 inch of exposed thread to which to mount stuff. Then I bought a pair of hinges to which I drilled some holes so that (1) they could be mounted to the aforementioned bolts) and (2) a license bracket could be attached. The real estate in that area is just large enough in height to allow a plate to be attached to that opening where the central radiator would normally go. I don't even think having the plate there would negatively impact the radiator's function,--at least in my area where it just doesn't gt that hot. See following pictures for an idea of what's going on.
Attached Images   
Old 10-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Hamotee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
All I did was to remove the center filler panel (not there, however, if you have a Tiptronic tranny, or the X51 package), drill 4 holes along the top of that filler panel (black ABS plastic) and mount with fender washers, 4 hefty stainless steel bolts and secure them with nuts, leaving about 3/4 inch of exposed thread to which to mount stuff. Then I bought a pair of hinges to which I drilled some holes so that (1) they could be mounted to the aforementioned bolts) and (2) a license bracket could be attached. The real estate in that area is just large enough in height to allow a plate to be attached to that opening where the central radiator would normally go. I don't even think having the plate there would negatively impact the radiator's function,--at least in my area where it just doesn't gt that hot. See following pictures for an idea of what's going on.
Sorry to bring this back from the dead. Edgy, do you have any tips on how to remove the center filler? Thanks.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hamotee
Sorry to bring this back from the dead. Edgy, do you have any tips on how to remove the center filler? Thanks.
I took it out when the nose was off one day. I suspect that you can work your way around the perimeter of it with a plastic tool, and pop it out. Always remember on these cars. They're assembled in 55 minutes. So nothing about assembly or disassembly is that hard.
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Hamotee
Rennlist Member

Love the car as always. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Harvey in FL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

[QUOTE=JFScheck;2851036]In Maryland we just say "Screw It" - in fact I took off the license plate on the Boxser as well and used some of Eric's world famous "Bumper Plugs"....

Don't pick up someone in your Boxster at BWI. Trust me.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:55 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the moweraxle tow hook plate mount and have used it a couple of times to "fix" a ticket. It's very clean as the license plate covers the backing plate and nothing touches the bumper of the car. Most importantly for me, it doesn't block the center radiator that is on X-51 and Tiptronic cars.

I don't usually run with the plate on. If needed, it mounts in 1 minute as an assembly (license plate already mounted to backing plate and threaded mounting stud. It easily comes off in a minute and the factory bumper plug snaps back in place. Very clean. No drilling, machining, or mods to the car at all.

I will post a photo if anyone is interested.

MC
Old 10-23-2009, 08:43 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't recommend driving w/o a front plate on the Westside. There seem to be way more cops than usual out writing tickets. I assume this is because of the budget crisis .... You don't need to give them a reason to ring you up.

(FWIW, I wish people would realize that when we sign on bond initiatives "put more cops on the street," they are mostly doing stuff like writing tickets for people not having front license plates, not solving murders and arresting gang bangers.)

Quick Reply: Front licence plate in California