Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TIRE PRESSURE ON BOARD COMPUTER SYSTEM AND NEW WHEELS

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006 | 12:37 AM
nyturbo
Advanced

Default TIRE PRESSURE ON BOARD COMPUTER SYSTEM AND NEW WHEELS

OK, I am hoping any 997 owner who changed their wheels had this problem.I put on my new wheels today and now the on board tire pressure system (tps) cannot reset. Manual states, and i visually confirmed that porsche wheels have a transmitter fixed on each wheel near the air valve and sends signal to TPS system for tire pressure. Problem is my new wheels don't have this and the annoying warning light, alarm on dash won't go out since TPS cannot reset automatically..."Inactive TPS-LEARNING TO RESET" is fixed notice on my dash and can't obviously reset.How can i overide/disengage the TPS without having to deal with transmitters on my new wheels... and all for just damn tire pressure...please advise..
Old 03-02-2006 | 03:58 AM
aaoun
Instructor

i think it just takes 30mins of driving, no?
Old 03-02-2006 | 10:35 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Not sure why you did not elect to transfer the transmitters to the new wheels...

The solution is simple, you'll have to go to the dealer, and have them turn off/deactivate TPMS with their PIWIS system tester.

Old 03-02-2006 | 10:42 AM
nyturbo
Advanced

The transmitters do not fit unto the new Work VSS wheel i got.....stupid that porsche made it this way!!! Can i deactivate it or does porsche have to do it?
Old 03-02-2006 | 12:07 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Deactivation can only be accomplished via PIWIS System Tester at the dealer...sorry

See my PM...the transmitters should work in your new wheels! Get them back, give them a try, what do you have to loose?
Old 03-02-2006 | 02:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

The TPMS devises which are inside the tires adjacent to the valve stems would have to be mounted inside the wheel prior to mounting the rubber,--if they will even fit. The current range of Porsche OEM rims come either with them mounted or not if the option is not checked. I'm guessing that many aftermarket wheels may not be machined in such a way as to accommode these transmitters.

Dan
Old 03-02-2006 | 04:51 PM
nyturbo
Advanced

Just came from dealer and tech tried every option on the PIWIS computer and could not disable the TPC system...Does any one know where on the computer you search for to deactivate...he tried everywhere. I f i don't deactivate this and the transmitter does not fit unto my wheels then what am i to do??? I would prefer to just deactivate it if someone can help out!
Old 03-02-2006 | 06:18 PM
cmoss

AAAUUUGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!

TOO MUCH TECHNOLOGY!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2006 | 06:39 PM
cmoss

Look, just put a small piece of tape over the stupid light and be done with it.
Old 03-02-2006 | 07:15 PM
nyturbo
Advanced

i wish i can just get rid of this tpc system but next year it will be mandatory in all US vehicles......wheel enhancement confirmed that i will be able to strap transmitters to the wheel and it will work fine..... seems that the 3 pc forged wheel reverse lip wheel cannot take in the sensor the same way it attached in porsche wheel via the air valve ..aghhhh!
Old 03-02-2006 | 10:50 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Haven't looked on my 911 - on the Cayenne it's very easy to turn off via the on-board menu. In our manual does it tell you if you can turn it off?

Odd that on the Cayenne it can be turned off but not on our 911's? Guess that cause if ya got it why would you want to turn it off (other than for your reason)...
Old 03-03-2006 | 08:15 PM
nyturbo
Advanced

Brought car into porsche dealer today after telling them i got back sensors and have straps from wheel manufacturer today to reinstall for TPC.After waiting 1 hr they come out to tell me they can't do it b/c they called PNA and was told the TPC is a second generation system and if installed out of standard position it won't work and can destroy entire computer system and cost thousands and out of warranty! Then the GM starts telling me that each sensor is wheel specific with different frequency and i gave them w/o location.
'Are you f-cking kidding me i said and then asked him...if each one wheel specific then tell me part no. for each and he tells me all same identical part no..'"Well then they must be all same..and he says yeah, it seems that way but they won't be responsible if damage to rim, computer etc
So now i am pissed and i rip into him right in front of an audience.How can you come out 1 hr later and tell me this sh-t..so what am i to do..live with the chimes,lights,etc and he says yes!!!
i demand my car and keys and storm out..
I head to the tire guy who installed nw wheels and tomorrow he will put on sensors with straps and i will keep my fingers crossed. I don't see why if sensors are all the same(which they must be) and strapped in close prximity of inner wheel under tire by the air valve why it won't work..once they are on i just drive for 20 min and TPS should learn new setup and DONE!
Old 03-03-2006 | 10:26 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

LOL - thats a tall tale

You great deal on wheels seems to have taken on a life of it's own...

Did you get 305's for the rear? Or are you running the tiny tires? How far is your speedo off?
Old 03-03-2006 | 10:32 PM
nyturbo
Advanced

Question

Actually these wheels are same size as stock 8.5 x 19 WITH 305/30/19 ON REARS..not tiny at any scale and speedo is just perfect...but how does your reply pertain to the issue of changing wheels and TPMS?
Old 03-04-2006 | 12:42 AM
boolala
Race Car

Well the sensors may well have an identical part number but like a garage door opener (also identical part #) they are set to different frequencies so the computer will know which wheel they are coming from. Otherwise the computer would not be able to tell which tire pressure is from which wheel.

What am I missing here?

Quick Reply: TIRE PRESSURE ON BOARD COMPUTER SYSTEM AND NEW WHEELS