Sponsored by:

Picking up in Germany?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 07:50 PM
05-997Cab
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up in Germany?

Has anyone picked there car up in Germany and then had it shipped back to the states? If so, do you have any advice? I am considering doing this with a GT3.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:28 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't do it. If it's a brand new car, which it will be, you'll have to obide by the break-in period. Which means you'll have your Porsche on the Autobahn, but not be able to drive hard. Talk about frustrating!

That's why I rented a C2S last year while I was over there. I didn't own it, so drove the living %@&$@% out of it, and had a blast!

Take delivery of your car here in the states so you can take your time and break her in nice and easy!

Just my opinion, and certainly I don't claim to be right or wrong. But food for thought.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Having done this in the past and doing that again this year I think it's actually a lot of fun. First, you get to drive the car on roads for which it was originally designed and built. If you take some time off (which we all should!) you can easily pile up the miles over there and then see what the car will do after an easy break in. Of course, Europe is a lot smaller than many realize so you have to plan a routine that involves a lot of driving. If you're a driver instead of a maintainer of a hanger queen, then Europe is for you. If you're concerned about getting a few chips on it while on the autobahn have it delivered to your garage. My biggest problem is nailing Porsche down on a specific DATE so that I can make my other plans.

Dan

Quick Reply: Picking up in Germany?