Sponsored by:

Blacked out lights for 997. IMO better than clear markers

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 07:19 AM
tcetta
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blacked out lights for 997. IMO better than clear markers

I am including photos of my sold 996 02 with custom tail and side markers. I bought them off a show car 01 996TT. I don't know the origin but i think they came from europe. I would like to do the same on my 997, It looks great on a black car and has a real finished look during the day, The lights still remain reflective at night so there is no DOT problems in WI anyway. Any Ideas of where to start. I would also be interested in the insight of doing this myself. It looks like a custom job, where they spray from the inside, but since i sold the car i cant reverse engineer it. I was lucky to keep the photos. If you can give me an insight of what is used (paint or stain with a dremel and epoxy to get the blacking sprayed), I will start testing on parts in my shop. Hope someone can help. Also is this the best place to post these questions or should i copy Loren at Renntech?
Attached Images    
Old 03-01-2006, 08:08 AM
MMD
Banned

Tail lights look like a sprayed "mylar." Mylar can be colored and can be made translucent. Or a "two way" **reflectance** coating used in security concerns? How about an application of plain old window tinting?

Search net under "security coatings" "reflective window tints" or similar?
Old 03-02-2006, 05:01 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

ghetto solution is window tint, but it might not work as well
Nicole, a 928 vendor, has done this on her 928
Old 03-02-2006, 11:59 AM
tcetta
Intermediate

I think they were a spray, I am going to look into the mylar. MMD would you think the mylar was sprayed on the outside or it was cut and sprayed on the inside. All I am sure of is that when i polished the car with a wheel nothing ever rubbed off. It really looked like a pro job and I am sure a tint film was not used.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:04 PM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Cargraphic has smoked tail lights for the Cayenne. Call and see if there are plans for the 997 and ask how they do it.

http://www.cargraphic.com/index.php?/s,6,7,18,709,1136/
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2006, 01:50 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

It was done by the outside. If it was done by the inside, you would still see the red since the layer would be underneath it. It's a spray and can be purchase at any ghetto speed shop. I did it on a few of my cars in my early days and looked good. You have to clean very well the lenses before spraying or else you'll end up with a mat finish or bubbles......

Good luck

Quick Reply: Blacked out lights for 997. IMO better than clear markers