0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

997 Owners and The Machines They Drive For Cruising The Net

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 12:02 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see both sides of this argument. Like Ben I have built and upgraded (repaired) PC systems for many years. My current desktop is an AMD 64 3400+ which I built two years ago after researching the latest MB (MSI at the time) etc. I know everything intimately about this box as every component (from the SATA RAID array to the video card to the extra cooling fans and thermal sensors) were chosen with all deliberteness. And it is fun to research all the components and one has a sense of satisfaction when it boots up for the first time. I've upgraded the BIOS, the VIA chipset drivers etc.

Having said that I rarely use it. I use a laptop. Now no matter how adept you are there is virtually nothing to tinker with or repair in a laptop (even a PC one). If it breaks you need to find a cardboard box and send it in to the manufacturer. Only the hard drive and memory are upgradable and I can do that on a mac laptop as well.

The bottom line for me (as PC user for 20 years) is that windows is a POS. Buggy, virus and worm prone. Unstable.

The mac has no viruses, worms etc to speak of. I don't even have a virus checker for my iBook. I leave it on 24/7. In two years I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to reboot becasue of a system meltdown. The "uptime" is measured in terms of months not days like a PC. From the standpoint of stability there is simply no comparison. I'm sorry it took me so long to discover this.

In some ways I like the windows interface better (maybe because I'm more accumstomed to it). Macs simply do not seem to be as fast, that is true. I don't care what mac people will say about a certain Photoshop filter, that's not relevent to me. For everyday duties the PC is faster although with the adoption of Intel chips that gap is rapidly closing.

There used to be a wide price differential favoring PCs but if you check prices more recently macs are actually very competitive price-wise. A mac laptop costs about the same as a laptop from Sony. Check it out.

I do all my banking online. I would never trust the virus infected windows world with my precious private information. Every week there a new windows vulnerability that has to be patched.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:51 AM
Snoopy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of this info and the various viewpoints are great. I am leaning towards buying a Mac Book (maybe pro), but a little closer to the holiday season (want to see if the rumored upgrad is going to happen).
Old 10-13-2006, 03:03 AM
W211
Racer

I get a lot more done on a Mac than a PC. I switched in the late 80s and haven't looked back.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:17 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
Oh PCs can do it, its jus that you have to configure everything instead of just pressing "connect" like on the mac.

I make home movies and burn them to DVDs. My PC friends always say, how I did it, what settings, what software, what card, I tell them, I don't know, I just press the "burn" button and the Mac does the rest!

BTW, Macs don't get obsolete as often as Windows machines do. So saying that they are disposable isn't quite true. Up until Apple went Intel, you could run the latest software on 8 year old hardware from Apple. Try that with a PC.

The Mac is just a better platform, just as Porsche is a better sports car.
Actually, running the latest software on older hardware is a key strength of PCs and a major advantage over macs. Check out the minimum system requirements for running Windows XP, the latest operating system. The minimum processor speed is 233 MHz!!! Talk about old hardware still cranking away!

As for a car analogy/comparison (and using your cited example) I'd say that an apple computer is like the geeky EV1 electric car by GM that is now obsolete. You just push a button and it goes. You don't have a clue how it works, but it works. And you dare not open the hood, as you'd be clueless as to what is what. ... And as for mods to tweak performance? Fuhgetaboutit! It's an electric car for crying out loud, you don't have a clue how it works, remember! ... If you want to personalize and mod it, buy a Porsche.

(All in good fun. )

Originally Posted by boolala
In some ways I like the windows interface better (maybe because I'm more accumstomed to it). Macs simply do not seem to be as fast, that is true. I don't care what mac people will say about a certain Photoshop filter, that's not relevent to me. For everyday duties the PC is faster although with the adoption of Intel chips that gap is rapidly closing.
Your honest evaluation was well put, Boo, and certainly appreciated by Amy who was looking for such an opinion.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:30 PM
W211
Racer

To me, Macs are like Porsches, while a Windows PC is lik a Corvette. Sure, you can take them apart and tune them making them go faster but at the end, the user experience is inferior.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Originally Posted by OCBen
Your honest evaluation was well put, Boo, and certainly appreciated by Amy who was looking for such an opinion.
Very true!
Old 10-14-2006, 05:36 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Oh PCs can do it, its jus that you have to configure everything instead of just pressing "connect" like on the mac.

I make home movies and burn them to DVDs. My PC friends always say, how I did it, what settings, what software, what card, I tell them, I don't know, I just press the "burn" button and the Mac does the rest!

BTW, Macs don't get obsolete as often as Windows machines do. So saying that they are disposable isn't quite true. Up until Apple went Intel, you could run the latest software on 8 year old hardware from Apple. Try that with a PC.

The Mac is just a better platform, just as Porsche is a better sports car.
Sure you could run the software on 8 year old hardware, but can you run any of the new applications on it? No...So where's the advantage there?

If you just press the "burn" button then obviously your burning discs filled with menus, spanish language, french subtitles, extra features, and other bs that leads to more compression of the actual movie and hence worse picture quality. Seeing as it takes me less then 2 minutes to burn a quality movie on a pc and still remove this stuff- I'll take my way....
BTW, software that does what you describe is also available for the pc...dvd x copy xpress does the same exact thing...

As much as you'd like to think so, Macs are not the Porsche's of the PC world. Just because you say it doesn't mean it's true...
Porsche- "There is no substitute"...
Old 10-14-2006, 05:44 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy
All of this info and the various viewpoints are great. I am leaning towards buying a Mac Book (maybe pro), but a little closer to the holiday season (want to see if the rumored upgrad is going to happen).
A Macbook is simply an Asus built laptop running a UNIX OS rather then Windows...So yes, the upgrades will happen as Merom (Core 2 Duo's mobile version) is already available....It's been available on Asus's windows laptops for a couple months already....
Old 10-14-2006, 06:00 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

I finally did get the Mac Book Pro, 15. Its plenty fast. Rossetta does slow things up a bit, but nothing unbearable while using the program, you mostly see it when launching an app. Everything else that is native is plenty fast. If you're in the market for any Apple laptop, wait a few weeks, rumor is they are switching the entire line to the Core 2 Duo.

Apples are just better because the same company designed the software and hardware. Does that make too much sense? PC are like kit cars. Sure they are cheap and perform reasonably well, but they don't have that button down feel to it, like a production car has.
With this last paragraph you have shown that you have a lack of fundamental knowledge reguarding the difference between a pc and a mac. Apples are nothing more then a nice way for a consumer to get a consumer version of the UNIX operating system. The Unix OS's main advantage for the consumer is that it is alot less common and virus writers don't spend nearly as much time looking for ways to exploit it...It's main downfall is it has alot less features...

PC's in the $2000+ price range generally do not have a "kit car" feel to them. Although, if you are going to compare a $2500 Apple product to a $500 PC product then I guess that's a fair statement

Apple hasn't designed their hardware for years- their machines are built by third parties- Macbooks are designed and built by Asus...(Other then color, logo, and specs which were built to order)...

That great build quality on your Macbook is due to the fact that Asus has awesome build quality for a price. I've sold Asus notebooks for over 3 years now that are built on carbon chassis- something Mac wasn't nice enough to spec even though they are charging a higher price...

(Although, maybe your onto something with Apple and Porsche being similiar regarding profits )...

FYI- I like Apple and own the 23" HD Cinema monitor, but some of the comments posted here sound like they're coming from coffee-shop liberal elitists...

Last edited by destaccado; 10-14-2006 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:20 AM
W211
Racer

Apples are just better because the same company designed the software and hardware. Does that make too much sense? PC are like kit cars. Sure they are cheap and perform reasonably well, but they don't have that button down feel to it, like a production car has.
Agree 100%.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by W211
To me, Macs are like Porsches, while a Windows PC is lik a Corvette. Sure, you can take them apart and tune them making them go faster but at the end, the user experience is inferior.
That is a great analogy! LOL.
Macs rule!!!! I've even heard that NORAD is converting from PC to Mac. On the other hand NORAD is probably still using DOS while they await SKYNET's birth.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:18 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Window's greatest attributes has also been responsible for one of its greatest liabilities. Microsoft and the PC industry have done a masterful job of not only supporting a bewildering array of hardware (many times the diversity available for macs) but also of maintaining peoples investment in hardware and software by maintianing backward compatibility with each release from DOS 1.0 to the upcoming Windows Vista.

But attempting to write code for such diverse OS and hardware platforms has come at a price, namely stability and reliability of the entire system.

Unix is an industrial strength OS designed with multiusers and security in mind rather than a patchwork of defective code like windows with all of its security vulnerabilities The smaller installed base of OS X is only one reason hackers have largely steered clear of writing viruses for it. Whatever the ultimate reason(s) may be the end result is that I can do my online banking and bill paying with a much greater sense of security than I can on my windows box.

There is no PC maker that I know of who does not outsource the manufacture of their laptops. There are only 3 or 4 Asian laptop manufacturers in the entire world and they build everyone's laptops. Even Dell. Do you think that Dell manufacures their own laptops? No they don't.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:26 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boolala
Window's greatest attributes has also been responsible for one of its greatest liabilities. Microsoft and the PC industry have done a masterful job of not only supporting a bewildering array of hardware (many times the diversity available for macs) but also of maintaining peoples investment in hardware and software by maintianing backward compatibility with each release from DOS 1.0 to the upcoming Windows Vista.

But attempting to write code for such diverse OS and hardware platforms has come at a price, namely stability and reliability of the entire system.

Unix is an industrial strength OS designed with multiusers and security in mind rather than a patchwork of defective code like windows with all of its security vulnerabilities The smaller installed base of OS X is only one reason hackers have largely steered clear of writing viruses for it. Whatever the ultimate reason(s) may be the end result is that I can do my online banking and bill paying with a much greater sense of security than I can on my windows box.

There is no PC maker that I know of who does not outsource the manufacture of their laptops. There are only 3 or 4 Asian laptop manufacturers in the entire world and they build everyone's laptops. Even Dell. Do you think that Dell manufacures their own laptops? No they don't.
There's alot more then 3 or 4 ODM's of laptops......Apple's newest laptops are built by Asus and again- I only wrote that in response to certain individuals claiming Apple designs their own hardware and software which is FALSE....
Old 10-14-2006, 05:29 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by W211
Agree 100%.
and just because you agree 100% doesn't change the fact that the statement was 100% false....
Old 10-14-2006, 05:39 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
certain individuals claiming Apple designs their own hardware and software which is FALSE....
So, the little sticker on new Apple products that reads "Designed by Apple in California" is a lie?

http://www.businessweek.com/print/ma...8.htm?chan=mz&

Quick Reply: 997 Owners and The Machines They Drive For Cruising The Net