Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting cold feet about ordering...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 02:22 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Getting cold feet about ordering...

...And selling my E55 AMG. I'm looking at a 997 S, but every time I think of the pros of the p-car over the MB, I think of some of the great things about the E55. Arrgh!! (I know, everyone should have my problems).

I can get an April allocation Blk/Blk. with sports chorno, short throw shifter, heated seats, and Carrera sport wheels for 5K off.

The reason I started looking in the first place is that I don't drive this car every day and thought it would be more fun to own a sports car (since this one is treated like one). However, like a lot of other places roads and traffic here suck and i'm wondering If i'll enjoy the 997 S any more than I do the E55? Roads here are mostly straight, unless I wanted to drive some distance up to Westchester or CT. and drive up there.

I did test drive a 997 S a few weeks back and it felt great. However it was your typical 10 minute test drive and I really couldn't open it up. The handling was obviously way better than my car, but wondering if I'll miss the huge amount of Torque and HP that my E has. Also wondering how comfortable the 997 would be on a long road trip. Guess I should go drive it again.

Finally, this would be an "extra" car. I do not need it to be practical or have 4 doors.

The other thing that has me hesitating is the terrible trade in prices I've been given for the E55. Adding to the pain is that the car is pretty highly modified and I did drop some pretty serious cash into it (always a dangerous thing to do, I know). I can take the hit financially, but I would just feel bad about doing it.

Best case would be to convince my wife to let me keep the E and buy the 997. I own the E55 free and clear.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:34 PM
icruze
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just because you have a second child doesn't mean you get rid of the first. Cars are no different. Buy the 997S and keep the E55...especially since you've modified it as you like it. Once you've had the 997S for a while all your questions will be answered and then you can decide if you still want to keep the E55. That way you will have no regrets.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:38 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by E55AMG
I did test drive a 997 S a few weeks back and it felt great. However it was your typical 10 minute test drive and I really couldn't open it up. The handling was obviously way better than my car, but wondering if I'll miss the huge amount of Torque and HP that my E has. Also wondering how comfortable the 997 would be on a long road trip. Guess I should go drive it again.
Comfortable on a long trip..depends upon what you call long?

I've done two 4-5,000 mi road trips in my "S" and I love it...the seating is the greatest!! Longest driving stint was 900+ mi in a day. Great comfort!!

Want to do an ultimate test drive??
You'll get two days of seat time in a 997, have alot of fun and be a better driver for doing so.

Just sign up, for the March 2,3 course..don't dilly dallyor find reasons why you can't...just go!!!

http://www.porschedriving.com/course_schedule.asp

Old 02-19-2006, 05:45 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

e55amg-i am just coming to the end of a 39 month lease on a 996tt, and i have spent the last 6 weeks evaluating 3 cars to find one to replace my turbo, which i use as daily transportation. those 3 were an e55, an m5, and a 997c4s. you obviously have much more experience with an e55 than i do. my impression of the e55 was that it was a very comfortable car with prodigious acceleration (world class torque) that lacked in the handling department-i felt that the steering was somewhat numb and i didn't get that reassuring feeling taking it quickly around a corner. under 100 mph, the 997s is every bit as fast as the e55, i would assume that over 100mph, the e55 would rule, but how many of us drive over 100mph on the roads. you can equip a 997 as luxuriously as your wallet allows. handling wise, the 997 is arguably the finest handling car in the world-the e55 isn't even close. i thought that the m5 was a good sports sedan that was hampered by the smg transmission. it was also a relentless gas guzzler. if you are looking for a very comfortable car that takes off like a rocket, and want impressive acceleration up to 155mph, keep the e55. if you want an almost as comfortable car that takes off like a rocket, handles like nothing else, and will put a smile on your face after you drive it then look at it, get the 997s, or the c4s if winters are an issue for you. by the way, 5k off is a fair deal-if you live in the northeast, pm me and i can tell you where you might do even better. hope this helps..
Old 02-19-2006, 06:02 PM
GT3BB
Racer

Why not look into one of the many 996 Turbos available these days, you get the torque you want and a nice handling car for a bargain basement price.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Legalkix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I traded an 04 E500 for my up and coming baby. I took a serious hit on the price too. I liked the 500 (admittedly not the hot rod you have there in the AMG) but it did 0-60 pretty quickly...which is all you're gonna see in most of So. Cal. anyway. On the other hand...it was not inspiring. Only Benz afficionados really understand the difference between an AMG and the 500. If you (like I) spend a significant time in a vehicle, don't you want something that makes your pulse quicken when you see it just sitting there waiting for you? Don't want something that you WANT to go out and play with? Both my 19 year old daughter and 17 year old son have "volunteered" to take the "back seats". We formed a club for all those in the family and friends that have volunteered to go pick it up at the dealership in the event I am "unable" to do so. My take on it..if you can afford both keep both...but if only one....PORSCHE all the way.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:31 PM

I have a MB 500 coupe, and I will miss the "buttery glide" of my MB and the low end torque of the V8. The 911 is a sports car and the benz is a luxury car no matter the power ie; 55, 65 etc.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:25 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Well, at a minimum you need an extended test drive of a 997S. Take a few hours, or ask about a weekend loaner. Next you need to decide what you really want and need. The cars have very different personalities, surely one speaks to your soul more than another. Short of that, make a list of qualities, weight em, and score the cars.

I sold a beautiful low mileage M3 Cab for my 987S. The m3 was great in many ways, comfortable, fast, sporty, turned heads...but it never spoke to me. I found it boring, too heavy, not tactile, and isolated from the road. Two drives in a 987 showed me how much fun you can have in an agile sports car even at 30 mph! If the Porsche doesn't have that effect on you, you're probably in the right car.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:26 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

I understand
If you do miss the hp and tq... there's ways to fix that.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:05 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

Do dealers typically give "extended" test drives?
Old 02-20-2006, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
I understand
If you do miss the hp and tq... there's ways to fix that.
Let me guess...get the new TT!
Old 02-20-2006, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by E55AMG
Do dealers typically give "extended" test drives?
Depends on your relationship with the dealer and if they have a demo or Porsche executive car at the dealership. I just returned from taking a brand new C2S cab out for about an hour on Saturday but for more time than that, the dealer will usally do it, if they have what I described above in stock and your relationship is good.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

I know in Atlanta they will (and they have cars on the lot), just tell them you need more time to assess the car and be genuine. In my case I drove both a used 997 and a brand spanking 997S for more than an hour. Although I had serviced my 993 there I had never bought from them at that time.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:13 AM
PV
Pro

I don't get the point. I like the E55 & M5 & M6, if you need 4 seats, but if you don't drive every day (and even if you do, like me), you don't need 4 seats, and you can afford it: buy the 997 or 997S.

Agree with MJones regarding long trips: I drove up and down from Houston to Greensboro (about 1200 miles one way): no single moment of having issues with the seats.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:46 AM
MMD
Banned

Hey, you already have a hot car; you got reservations about a new Porsche. Problem solved: stick with what you got.

Come back in 6 months and re-think. By that time they'll be more foolproof reliability-wise and you'll have more options (maybe) to choose from.

There's no rush to get a new Porsche UNTIL you actually place the order and start waiting.

Besides I find my 997S is MORE WORK to drive than my M3 (like your e55?), the 911 is not exactly relaxing all the time. Different amount of mental energy is required. IMHO, Would be a drag to have my 997S as the only car with my 43 year old body/mind situation.

BTW, the car seats are great! I have adaptive seats. The long trip thing starts getting annoying to me because the exhaust "raasp" gets on my nerves when I get tired of driving. Again, seats are great!

Quick Reply: Getting cold feet about ordering...