Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Getting cold feet about ordering... (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/254958-getting-cold-feet-about-ordering.html)

scycle2020 02-20-2006 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Well, at a minimum you need an extended test drive of a 997S. Take a few hours, or ask about a weekend loaner. Next you need to decide what you really want and need. The cars have very different personalities, surely one speaks to your soul more than another. Short of that, make a list of qualities, weight em, and score the cars.

I sold a beautiful low mileage M3 Cab for my 987S. The m3 was great in many ways, comfortable, fast, sporty, turned heads...but it never spoke to me. I found it boring, too heavy, not tactile, and isolated from the road. Two drives in a 987 showed me how much fun you can have in an agile sports car even at 30 mph! If the Porsche doesn't have that effect on you, you're probably in the right car.

very well said....you have summerized the essence of a true sports car like a porsche.... :thumbsup:

MJones 02-20-2006 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by E55AMG
Do dealers typically give "extended" test drives?

Pretty much a NO....Could vary geographically but more important the relationship that you have developed with your dealer.

Again I say ....
You want the
Ultimate Extended Test Drive
PDE.

http://www.porschedriving.com/the_activities.asp

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Vancouver83LTD 02-20-2006 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by 500
Let me guess...get the new TT! :burnout:

that too I was thinking more about aftermarket kits....

bravocharlie 02-20-2006 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by MJones
Pretty much a NO....Could vary geographically but more important the relationship that you have developed with your dealer.

Again I say ....
You want the
Ultimate Extended Test Drive
PDE.

http://www.porschedriving.com/the_activities.asp

:thumbup: :thumbup:

So you're going to PDE on 3/2-3? If so I'll see you there!

E55AMG 02-20-2006 06:18 PM

Took extended test drive today

Sent the dealer an e-mail this morning and asked if I could take more than your typical 10 minute drive. His reply - "See you later". So, I got there and he asked cab or coupe? "coupe". They had none outside so they actually took a Lapis blue/beige S off the showroom floor for me to drive! I thought that was pretty nice.

I hop in with one of the other sales guys (I was dealing with the GM). I got to drive for about 45 minutes on all different kind of roads - highways, back roads, some great on/off ramps, etc. This was more like it!! My last test drive lasted about 10 minutes and I never got the car out of 4th gear.

After about 45 minutes he told me to pull over. The guy says "now that you've got the tires heated a little, now I'll drive". Drive he did!! :D Holy smokes, was that a blast! I felt like saying well, If I knew you were going to drive like that, I'll take another turn!!

I knew the car would handle and feel amazing. I was surprised at how hard the car pulled. Drop a gear and hit it - WOW!! Feels much stronger than the HP and torque that the car has. Also impressed with the total lack of squeaks/rattles. Not sure if it stays that way LOL.

I think I could now comfortably trade in my car for this and not feel like I'm missing much, if anything at all. Like others have said, you can have fun in this car at 40 mph. To have fun in my car I need to do about 150 or more!! That gets dangerous.

My two problems are now my wife and color choice (in that order). I had actuallyl had gotten kind of ambivalent about doing this based on my first test drive, so stopped talking to my wife about it. She (and my kids) say that they will "miss my car", and that "we go out as a family in that car", blah, blah, blah.

There are two car on the water that I can have both pretty much with the options I want. I want a pretty lightly optioned car - chrono, shifter, heated seats, I'll take the carrera sport wheels if they're on it. colors are either Black or Silver. I know a very subjective call.

Maybe I'll make a separate thread, but was wondering if the manual seats offer the same adjustability that the power seats do?

Vancouver83LTD 02-20-2006 06:28 PM

haha well sounds like you had a fantastic time!
this car beat the M5 by a large margin on a closed road on the isle of man, simply because it's more effective at putting the power to the road.
Have you considered ordering a car? Yoiur dealer may have a few slots coming up soon for dealership cars that he may be able to put you into... I'm just thinking that this may take care of problem #1 - women love decorating, if she picked the colours or had some say, she might be happy.
blah blah blah cry over the MB yeah they love it, we get it - but they'll love this car too
my mom is crazy, she is scared of new things it almost seems - like she wouldn't get a camera phone when her cellphone plan recently expired just because she didn't understand it, you know? might be sorta' the same situation

E55AMG 02-20-2006 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
haha well sounds like you had a fantastic time!
this car beat the M5 by a large margin on a closed road on the isle of man, simply because it's more effective at putting the power to the road.
Have you considered ordering a car? Yoiur dealer may have a few slots coming up soon for dealership cars that he may be able to put you into... I'm just thinking that this may take care of problem #1 - women love decorating, if she picked the colours or had some say, she might be happy.
blah blah blah cry over the MB yeah they love it, we get it - but they'll love this car too
my mom is crazy, she is scared of new things it almost seems - like she wouldn't get a camera phone when her cellphone plan recently expired just because she didn't understand it, you know? might be sorta' the same situation

Dealer does have a spot that I can take for an April build. I don't think it's necessary as both cars have what I want, plus I'll get it a month earlier. As far as my wife picking stuff, she couldn't care less LOL. Yeah, I've watched that Top Gear episode many times in the last several weeks. Very impressive. Of course, if you got to M5board.com they'll have all kind of excuses of how the test was flawed etc.

500 02-20-2006 10:36 PM

Wait for the 07's..they'll start being built in July.

Vancouver83LTD 02-20-2006 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by E55AMG
Dealer does have a spot that I can take for an April build. I don't think it's necessary as both cars have what I want, plus I'll get it a month earlier. As far as my wife picking stuff, she couldn't care less LOL. Yeah, I've watched that Top Gear episode many times in the last several weeks. Very impressive. Of course, if you got to M5board.com they'll have all kind of excuses of how the test was flawed etc.

ifs and buts hahaha
well if she doesn't care, then go for the one on the lot and pick it up ASAP
Plus you're getting a decent chunk off and over book on your renntech, right?

MHC2S 02-20-2006 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I own both a 997S and an E55. They are so very different. My 997S is way more fun to drive. Having said that I am not getting ride of my E55. It's a great car and it sure is fast but it is Not a sports car. My 997S has 6K on it and is well broken in. It will hang with the E55 believe it or not :D Don't forget the 997 is like 1,000lbs. or more lighter than the E, and when they are broken in they are faster.

RAKLAW 02-20-2006 11:41 PM

I know there was a good reason why over the years I have NEVER considered buying a car that sat on a dealer's showroom floor.

Vancouver83LTD 02-21-2006 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by MHC2S
I own both a 997S and an E55. They are so very different. My 997S is way more fun to drive. Having said that I am not getting ride of my E55. It's a great car and it sure is fast but it is Not a sports car. My 997S has 6K on it and is well broken in. It will hang with the E55 believe it or not :D Don't forget the 997 is like 1,000lbs. or more lighter than the E, and when they are broken in they are faster.

uhhh - actually, he said that he had a renntech.
He knows something about fast mercedes

Dave I 02-21-2006 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by RAKLAW
I know there was a good reason why over the years I have NEVER considered buying a car that sat on a dealer's showroom floor.

Lol, I was just thinking the same thing. I'll make sure I look for a car with less than 10 miles on it.

MHC2S 02-21-2006 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
uhhh - actually, he said that he had a renntech.
He knows something about fast mercedes

I figured since I own a 997S and an E55 I would give my 02cents. If he thinks a stock 997S is faster than a Renntech E55 than he is dreaming. A bone stock E55 is a monster I can only imagine what his Renntech is like.

Vancouver what you driving these days??

E55AMG 02-21-2006 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by MHC2S
I figured since I own a 997S and an E55 I would give my 02cents. If he thinks a stock 997S is faster than a Renntech E55 than he is dreaming. A bone stock E55 is a monster I can only imagine what his Renntech is like.

Vancouver what you driving these days??

I didn't say the 997 was faster than a Renntech (mine's actually Kleemann - same difference). I was surprised though at how fast and hard the 997 pulled. Where my E55 is just insane is you could be cruising at 80, 90, even 100 mph and hit the gas and forget it- your gone! Really doesn't matter what speed you're at. A flick of the right foot and BOOM. With that being said, the weight difference between the two cars is pretty significant which certainly helps the 997. Now, someday I may change my mind but based on my test drive yesterday I don't think I will miss the acceleration more than I'll appreciate the handling and other dynamics the 997 offers over the Benz. I've had my car at the track and It has broken into the 11's at around 120-122 mph.

Parting ways with this car does make me feel a bit like :crying: