Sponsored by:

clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 12:24 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default clutch noise

When feathering the clutch in first gear I sometimes hear a metal scraping noise. It only happens when I give it more gas than normal and I release the clutch slowly.

I mentioned this to the dealer when I took it in for the 20k service. They said that there had been some recalls, and that they cleaned or greased {something}.....and that it should be fine. A few days later I heard it again.

Has anyone had any expereince with this??
Old 02-22-2006, 07:01 PM
stevenshin
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if you are talking about the same noise but I hear a squeaking sound. The dealer has twice "greased" it and it comes back almost minutes after I leave the dealer lot. If anyone else has info about a recall please share! (I don't trust my dealership after learning from these forums that a lot of what they tell me is just fluff.)
Old 02-22-2006, 07:21 PM
raffi
Pro

I have both scraping and squeaky noise on occasion, although I only noticed it after i read about them on the forums...
I will ask the dealer to take a look into it when the car is in for exhaust recall and report back to you guys
Old 05-07-2007, 04:47 PM
P-Nuts
Racer

Originally Posted by jcf7
When feathering the clutch in first gear I sometimes hear a metal scraping noise. It only happens when I give it more gas than normal and I release the clutch slowly.

I mentioned this to the dealer when I took it in for the 20k service. They said that there had been some recalls, and that they cleaned or greased {something}.....and that it should be fine. A few days later I heard it again.

Has anyone had any expereince with this??
I have heard this noise a few times in the last month. It only happens when I have been driving for more than an hour in slow start/stop traffic. It happens when pulling away in 1st gear. I have not been to the dealer yet. It's the clutch rather then clutch pedal.

Any other peope had this since the posts from 2005?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:05 PM
entdoc
Instructor

I have a 2005 C2 coupe that has made the scraping noise since almost new. It only occurs when letting out the clutch in first while the car is under load (particularly when starting up a hill). While the dealer can replicate the noise, they are unable to determine the cause and, to date, have only suggested that I return if the noise worsens.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Just a question for those of you with this symptom,--is this your first 911?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:06 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Same thing happens to me too. Occasionally when I let the clutch out I hear this squeaky noise, similar to the sound of a belt slipping. It does not happen all the time, but I did notice it more when I take off on an inclined road. I took it to the dealer but they could not duplicate it. My car is a 2006 C2S Cab built in March and yes I have owned 3 other 911s, a 993 C2S a 996 cab and this one, and I never heard this type of noise with the others.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:55 PM
mxa4250
Intermediate

same thing happening here. I thought it's only me!
squeaky noise in 1st gear especially when stop and go in uphill.
anyone had this problem and found a solution? is it the clutch?
Old 05-08-2007, 04:33 AM
Dr 997
Racer

I have first hand experience with this: It's the clutch plate rubbing. I had a thread about this awhile back. To make a long story short, the dealer who fixed it gave me the old clutch plate and flywheel, and I can see why it made that noise. I'll post better pics of the parts once I dig them out of my dungeon/garage.

Jimmy
Old 05-08-2007, 06:48 AM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never experienced the metal rubbing noise, just a minor squeaking coming from the clutch pedal when engage the clutch, rather than the actual clutch itself.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:30 AM
mxa4250
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Jimmy.
I appreciate your feedback on this.
I just want to confirm it is the same squeaky noise before I go to the dealer.
does it happen sometimes in first gear mostly when starting uphill?
is this covered by warranty? I do not track the car or over rev so i am not sure how this happened! could it be a faulty clutch?

thanks
Max
Old 05-08-2007, 10:22 AM
wdonovan
Instructor

Dry pilot bearing? Is it a needle brg or bushing? A bushing could possibly complain when being loaded.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:57 PM
mxa4250
Intermediate

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. please explain.
tx

Originally Posted by wdonovan
Dry pilot bearing? Is it a needle brg or bushing? A bushing could possibly complain when being loaded.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Tim Fry
5th Gear

I had the same problem with my 997 (C2). At first the dealer's mechanic thought the problem was the "throw out bearing" (part of the clutch). They replaced it under warranty. That fixed the problem for about a week, then the noise came back with a vengence. They then received permission from Porsche America to replace the whole darn clutch assembly (free of charge, of course). So far the problem has been solved. That was about 1500 mile ago.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:44 AM
wdonovan
Instructor

Pilot brg is the bushing or bearing (not sure which is used) that supports the outboard end of the tranaxle input shaft. It is in a recess in the end of the crankshaft. The trans shaft has a small journal that runs in this bearing. With the clutch engaged, the input shaft turns at the same speed as the crankshaft resulting in no rotation of the shaft in the brg. With the clutch pedal in however, the crankshaft is turning but the transmission input shaft is not. The bearing is now rotating around the stationary shaft journal.

In neutral, there is rotation but no load. In gear and driving there is no rotation. Releasing the clutch into first gives a unique condition of some rotation with a load (imparted from the clutch starting to drive the transaxle). This is the condition that I question as sometimes it can make a noise here.

Throwout bearing is not likely if I read this sentence right "When feathering the clutch in first gear". The throwout bearing usually acts up either the entire time that the clutch pedal is depressed or occassionally just as the pedal is first depressed enough to take up the pedal free play.

As mentioned here, clutch disc is also a strong candidate. Especially if the is a part of the disc in spinning contact other than the friction material.

It's all academic though, I doubt the problem can be resolved without disconnecting the engine and inspecting all the components.

Quick Reply: clutch noise