Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 01:58 AM
Dr 997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mxa4250
Jimmy.
I appreciate your feedback on this.
I just want to confirm it is the same squeaky noise before I go to the dealer.
does it happen sometimes in first gear mostly when starting uphill?
is this covered by warranty? I do not track the car or over rev so i am not sure how this happened! could it be a faulty clutch?

thanks
Max
Max,
For mine, the dealer said the clutch was "abused" and wasn't covered by warranty. Fortunately, the previous owner agreed to pay for it. However, since I posted this, similar reports have been posted here, so I wonder if there is a defect in some of the clutch plates? The plate itself, I learned, is actually a lot like particle board, made of many tiny pieces and fibers glued together. These fibers fall apart after a while, and can rub on the flywheel. Or if you ride the clutch too much, after awhile, you can get a blue glaze on it. Either problem can cause the "squeaky" noise when you just start to engage the clutch slowly from a stop. It actually doesn't make a noise if you engage the clutch quickly. Mine used to make noise engaging into first OR reverse. Either way, since your car is new, you could probably get your dealer to cover it under warranty. Mine was used (hardly-9K), but apparently, the fiberous damage to the clutch plate can happen with just one bad shift, according to the dealer...

Good luck! When I get a break from taking care of my Avatar model, I'll try to post pictures of my old clutch plate.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: clutch noise