997 purchasing advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:27 PM
F1 Kevin
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 997 purchasing advice

Hello,

New to the list, have popped in here and there in the past to read up on Porsche discussions and have now finally registered as I am strongly considering purchasing my first Porsche. My current lease is coming to an end very soon and there seems to be a decent selection in my area (D.C./Baltimore).

Anyone have any advice on purchasing a new or slightly used 997 (would have to be CPO)? In your experience how much are dealers typically willing to come down off of MSRP (one dealer has already come down from $90K to $86K on a silver 07 S model)? I'm not too up to spec on the new 997 market, so I don't really know what to ask for. The S model definitely seems worth the difference in price, but I'm kind of stretching my car budget with the base 911 as it is, so it might take some wife convincing.

Dealers that I plan on looking at this weekend are:
Tischer Porsche
Tysons Corner Porsche (pretty large 911 inventory)
Porsche of Arlington
Rockville Porsche
Porsche of Hunt Valley

Any experience with these dealers? I'm targeting black on sand beige.

Sorry for the long post. I just want to be able to go into the dealers as informed as possible.

Cheers,

Kevin
Old 05-01-2007, 02:34 PM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My best advise is call them and get to know someone at each dealership. Buy a CPO car at KBB price or better from the dealer you feel comfortable with.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:37 PM
wetstuff
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin: I'm 2hrs Southeast of you and I flew to Cleveland to buy a great '05 'S' from Porsche North Olmstead. I view the purchase as completely separate from the service - perhaps because my choices are a min. 2hrs at three points on the compass. Don't know what you drove before but this is a perfect cross between a sailplane and a single engine jet. ...and my wife loves driving it too.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:12 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

my experience with Porsche North Olmstead was quite different, When I went to look at a car there, they quoted my a price a few thousand $ higher than their price listed on their web site.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

First of all, take your time. You have no reason to rush into buying a Porsche. Since you apparently simply lease your cars then I don't understand your concern about a dealer relationship. What are terms on leases? 2-3 years? Why do you want a Porsche? Why a 997? It sounds to me like marketing hype has caught you.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:19 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mal28
my experience with Porsche North Olmstead was quite different, When I went to look at a car there, they quoted my a price a few thousand $ higher than their price listed on their web site.
I would tell them to pound sand. Just like the good things about dealers we should also share the bad things as well.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:28 PM
F1 Kevin
Intermediate

Thanks for everyones responses!

Originally Posted by Edgy01
First of all, take your time. You have no reason to rush into buying a Porsche. Since you apparently simply lease your cars then I don't understand your concern about a dealer relationship. What are terms on leases? 2-3 years? Why do you want a Porsche? Why a 997? It sounds to me like marketing hype has caught you.
I've been seriously looking at a new car for some time now (in fact, I'm always looking at my next potential car) and the 997 has been at the top of my list. I will lease (3 years) or buy a car based upon the type of car, value of either option and its use. The 997 is something that I will want to hold onto for longer than a typical lease and will probably purchase.

I'm in here to see what others went through when picking up a new 997. I'm not to up to spec on what these cars are going for in relation to the MSRP. I'm trying to get a feel for what price I should be negotiating towards. I want this to be an educated purchase, hence this post.

I want a Porsche because I've admired them for years but never really had the opportunity to get a 911 (no Boxter, Cayman, Cayenne for me). Loved the 993, didn't care too much for the 996 appearance wise, and have the same love for the looks of the 997 (have to admit, round headlights belong on a 911). I recently drove a 996 turbo and it really set me on a path to get a 911.

If marketing hype has caught me, then it did many many years ago. This isn't the case here, I'm a life long car enthusiast and have appreciated Porsches forever.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:33 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wetstuff
Don't know what you drove before but this is a perfect cross between a sailplane and a single engine jet. ...and my wife loves driving it too.
Jim is right. I've wanted a 911 for 35 years. The 997 is my first Porsche. It's an incredible piece of engineering, and will bring a smile to your face constantly - it's just that much fun to drive.

Are there faster cars? Sure. There are faster cars that cost 1/2 as much as the 911 - as long as you only measure speed in a straight line. Are there more exotic cars? Oh, Hell yes - the Ferraris are incredible. Lambos are outrageous.

Are there better cars than the 911? I don't think that there is anything else available today that meets the all-around nature of the 997. Docile as a Honda Civic in traffic; 27mpg on the highway at 70mph. The ride quality is _much_ better than one would ever suspect, looking at the tires... and if you need additional "smoothness", just go to the 18" wheels. Interior fit and finish is good, the look is classic. And it starts when you turn the key - everytime, for me (so far). My buddy can't say the same for his F355 - Hell, I can't say the same for my BMW 7er!

And, OMG, when you get on the right pedal, be prepared for a cross between a roller-coaster and Jim's "single engine jet". I still can't imagine what the 997TT is like; I can't use all that I've got in the C4S!

Do it. You won't regret it. Promise.

-don
Old 05-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You can certainly talk your dealer down pretty much no matter where in the USA that you reside. Recall theay they make a healthy profict on each one,-and accessories are a higher return for them.

May I suggest that you monitor herein for at least 6 months before you order a car. Understand that probably the smartest people on the 997 are here on Rennlist,--and on the more European Rennteam. The dealers just can't keep up on al the cofiguration differences. I'm sorry taht this is your first Porsche. (Years of self-denial?) That being the case you need to be test driving a couople of the model to see if it truly what you want.

There (at my last count) someting like 65 pages of options available. Thus, you can have it your way. My syggestion,--don't fall into the usual trap of choosing a silver paint job and a full black leather interior. With those options you can go to virtually any dealeship here or even Europe and buy one from their street ad into yours.

Another suggestion is to order everything you want in the car from the start. So many are driven toward modifying their cars to make them reflect THEIR personality. Remember, many also buy them simply to turn them over to owner number two. I beleive that's the simple answer. Buyers are buying for the next guy. It's a rare breed when you see something truly custom. Don't be afraid to experiment! In the grand scheme of things get what YOU want Don't skimp. Don't think about residual value.

If you're a daily driver just understand that tires will bethe first to go. This sould be understaood and accepted without tought. It's the price you pay for such handling.

Time. You have plenty of time.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:55 PM
tgenoyer
Track Day

I just bought a convertible black on sand beige with very few options. List was $87K. Got it for $81K. Bought it by phone from Don Rosen Imports in PA, and then shipped it to FL. Sales guy was Paul Mlinko. Would recommend him.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:55 AM
F1 Kevin
Intermediate

Mission success. Hit 4 dealers on Friday. Called 1 more. Stuck to a really low target price. On saturday I picked up a 07 Black on Sand Beige Carrera S coupe. $91K sticker and beat him down to $82K from Tysons Corner Porsche.

Phenominal car. Alot stiffer than I thought it would be, but thats not a bad thing.

p.s. Arlington Porsche was a joke.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:32 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Well done, Kevin. Congratulations on the car.

I disagree with Edgy01's assertion that "you have plenty of time." Life is fleeting: provided you have the means, buy what you want, when you want it. Some of us (including myself) pored over options pages for hours/days/weeks, but in the end, we all got what we wanted. Sounds like you did too, and that's really what matters.

Now you have to post pics of the new car!
Old 05-06-2007, 02:00 PM
MartyB
Racer

Congrats Kevin Black/sand beige is a great combination. We are closing on a new home this week and trying to sell ours, but I am seriously considering purchasing an '06 c2s with low miles as soon as the dust settles. The colors you chose will be on my short list. Please get us some pics and a full shakedown when time permits.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:14 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations,, great deal, 10% off sticker.

I bought my 2003 cab at HBL also at Tysons.

Did you deal with Pat Driscoll? He really wheels and deals,, except on 991 turbos unfortunately.

Don
Old 05-07-2007, 05:44 PM
F1 Kevin
Intermediate

Thanks everyone!

Basically had a new 911 within 24hrs. If the dealer didn't come off so much in price I wouldn't be typing about the new car right now. We wanted to stay at $80K max, and I didn't suspect it was going to happen for an S model (I read on here that about $5K off MSRP is as good as it gets), but it did. Furthermore, it had the color combination and options that I wanted in the first place, so once the price was settled on, it was a no brainer.

Will post pictures later.

Quick Reply: 997 purchasing advice