Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the limits of the special wishes department?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the limits of the special wishes department?

Just like the title says, what are their limits?
If someone, for example, said "I want the turbo engine in a Targa" (assuming the 997 targa comes or this was a 996) would they say "too bad?" or would they do it? They turn down some colours, however would they turn down someone wanting to have that special model?
There was 6 911 Carrera4's exported to the us market in 2004, when technically that model no longer existed.
So, would they make a targa4? A targa 4S? A targa turbo?
One guy had a 996 turbo with a GT3 engine in it (in 2001 when the GT3 wasn't yet available in the US)
Just a thought....
Old 02-14-2006, 05:58 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

From my observations Porsche has gotten out of the special wishes business for the most part for the average guy. Sure, you can order through the Porsche Tequipment route or some other such vehicle but the days of the TRUE special Wishes are over unless you happen to be royalty or have the bankroll of royalty (or own a lot of oil pumping acreage in the ME). For them, Porsche do pretty much anything. For the rest of us,--they say, go look at the list. I believe that money talks and if you REALLY want a special thing Porsche will bend over backwards for you,--all at a price. For us average folks who THINK we're getting something custom,--check the approved list. In defense, however, of Porsche, many of these things are so tightly controlled by the various national transportation departments, e.g., DOT. Everything has to be tested ad nauseum, that certain combinations are virtually unaffordable as they would have to crash a car or two to get you your certification. I think that's what has stopped the ultimate customization they were known for.

dan
Old 02-14-2006, 06:51 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Exclusive or Special Wishes virtually does not exhist in the US where everything must go thru PCNA.

Take for example Diviating Stitching, available in Germany for sure...ah but PCNA says no.

If it is not in the order guide in the US forget about it.

Elsewhere in the world you want your seats done in Ostrich leather no problem...it's only money.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:53 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think they could do a Turbo Targa anyways because they'd have to federalize it first. Now custom colored leather and paint to your heart's content can be done. I read that they even offer leather covered brake calipers in lime green.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so pretty much, pretty paint is the limit.
lame

Quick Reply: What are the limits of the special wishes department?