Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any recommend AGAINST putting on protective film (Venture)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jfraser
OCBen
The 3M aerospace film you refer to...is it this product?
http://www.clearmask.com/aerogard.htm

I'm looking to install film over the illuminated stainless steel door sills I just purchased. My film criteria is thin, clear & minimal orange peel look.....Do you think aero film is the best bet....How does it differ from the original 3M paint protection film?
I wanted to do that also, but the wording is etched or laser cut into the plate. The installer said it would look bad on the recessed part. If your plate is flat, i think it is a great idea.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:34 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jfraser
OCBen
The 3M aerospace film you refer to...is it this product?
http://www.clearmask.com/aerogard.htm

I'm looking to install film over the illuminated stainless steel door sills I just purchased. My film criteria is thin, clear & minimal orange peel look.....Do you think aero film is the best bet....How does it differ from the original 3M paint protection film?
Yep, that looks like it - the three layers are unique to the aerospace film. And thanks for providing that link for all of us to check out.

It differs primarily in optical clarity from the original 3M film, which I think is referred to as 3M automotive film. Optical clarity is another name for transparency quality - that quality of a material that the more it allows light to pass through undistorted the more the material medium appears invisible.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:36 AM
littlebigfish
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
3M Aerospace film is far superior to Venture. It's a little more expensive, but if you're very particular, like me, it's well worth the premium.

Tell us where you live and we can direct you to the best installers in your area.

OC, don't want to hijack this but as you are aware, I have a 4S coming into Phoenix very soon. Do you know anyone there or should I just use the dealer?
Old 02-08-2006, 02:18 AM
OCBen
Banned

I only can recommend a few installers in the Southern Cal area, as I personally know first hand the quality of work they do. Perhaps other Rennlisters in your area can chime in here and recommend someone they know.

If no one in your area speaks up ask the dealer to go to this installer's place of business to see samples of his work. That's what I had to do when I finally settled on an installer. After observing them apply it on a car and seeing a few of their completed cars, I was convinced that they were the ones for me.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:48 AM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Picking up my car on Friday with clear bra installed. Was going to ask advice on waxing over bra, but happened to click on Waxing & Basic Detailing tips. THANK YOU for the time and devotion spent in those posts!!
Old 02-08-2006, 12:03 PM
OCBen
Banned

You're very welcome. Yes, it is highly recommended to keep a coat of wax on the clear film in order to prevent the plastic from drying up and cracking over time.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:15 PM
mr997
Advanced

Let me offer my 2 cents about this aerospace film. I am an aviation technician and see this Aerospace protective coating on many of the 727s, 737s, 747s, and 757s. It looks darn good when it is first put on, however, it begins to turn into this dullish gray look that is pretty visible over time. For those who do quite a bit of traveling, next time, just take a look at the noses of the planes you are boarding and you will spot it immediately from several hundred feet.

I talk to the local 3m aerospace guys quite a bit when they come in to replace the protective coating they tell me that if it stays on for too long there will definitely be 2 toning if it's ever removed because the aerospace coating blocks off most ultraviolet rays. How true it is? Not sure, but they replace it quite often for this reason and with complaints about how it turns color so soon. Just take a look at Southwest's planes and you will see what I'm talking about.

In the end, it's up to you to decide whether this stuff is worth it over rock chips. For me, it is worth it, but see this aerospace film every day and believe it to be more hype than anything else.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:55 PM
tcetta
Intermediate

Ben I am in Wisconsin Chicago, Milwaukee area, Who would be a recommended installer
Old 02-09-2006, 03:05 PM
OCBen
Banned

TC, you misunderstood my original post. I said, "Tell us where you live and we can direct you to the best installers in your area." And if you read post #19 above you would have seen that I can only vouch for and recommend installers in my area. You'll need to hear from Rennlisters in your specific area for their recommendations. Sorry if you misunderstood that.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:08 AM
emmros
Instructor

Originally Posted by mr997
Let me offer my 2 cents about this aerospace film. I am an aviation technician and see this Aerospace protective coating on many of the 727s, 737s, 747s, and 757s. It looks darn good when it is first put on, however, it begins to turn into this dullish gray look that is pretty visible over time. For those who do quite a bit of traveling, next time, just take a look at the noses of the planes you are boarding and you will spot it immediately from several hundred feet.

I talk to the local 3m aerospace guys quite a bit when they come in to replace the protective coating they tell me that if it stays on for too long there will definitely be 2 toning if it's ever removed because the aerospace coating blocks off most ultraviolet rays. How true it is? Not sure, but they replace it quite often for this reason and with complaints about how it turns color so soon. Just take a look at Southwest's planes and you will see what I'm talking about.

In the end, it's up to you to decide whether this stuff is worth it over rock chips. For me, it is worth it, but see this aerospace film every day and believe it to be more hype than anything else.
Great info. Although the clearity of the film is important, more so is the skill level of the installer. I've seen many clear bras on Pcars, and what makes the bra even more noticeable are the seams and the dirt and wax that can accru on it. I had mine done by Premier and with the wrapped and hidden edges, the bra is virtually invisible. I was at a local meet a month ago, and a 997 (with the aerospace film) was parked next to my GT3. Everyone noticed the bra on the 997 but not on mine. The bra was done by a reputable installer from Southern California, so it definitely wasn't a bad installation. It seems like sometimes we get too caught up in the product and fail to recognize that it is the installer that puts on the product. I learned my lesson when I first got a hackjob clear bra from the dealership. From then on, I no longer shop for the product, but for the person installing it.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:47 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by emmros
From then on, I no longer shop for the product, but for the person installing it.
Why not shop for both?

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...58&postcount=4

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...06&postcount=7

Quick Reply: Any recommend AGAINST putting on protective film (Venture)