Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 12:48 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

What the heck....I guess I'll visit the GT3 board too. Maybe this will take my mind off of the wait.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:56 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

A close friend just took delivery (from a shipping co) of his 2005 997. He was driving it home then heard some vibration noise coming from the rear of the car. Forward gears were shifting just fine he says. When he put the car in reverse after washing it to put it away in his garage it didn't and won't stay in reverse.

Are you saying that your friend bought the car without benefit of a test drive? If so, your friend is a risk taker. Lots of people are mislead by the low miles on used Porsches. About a year ago I took a test drive of a 996 which had less than 1K miles on the odometer. The salesman told me that the prior owner of the car was a lady who traded the car in on a Lexus. She told the salesman that the suspension was too stiff for her. A quick check of the car indicated that the story was total BS. The outter edges of the rear tires on the car were completely worn which indicted to me that the car was either tracked or this lady had one hell of a commute to work.

So I basically ignore what salesmen tell me, and always take extensive test drives. It's far better to identify problem areas before purchase rather than after you own the car.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:14 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey fast1, I'm just curious, but why don't you quote like everyone else here and show who you're quoting by using the quote feature on the lower right hand corner of the post? It seems like you go out of your way all the time to copy and paste and then put into bold text someone else's words, creating more work for youself than you have to. You do know how to use the quote feature, don't you?
Old 02-07-2006, 01:08 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fast1,
While I agree with your point I think the fact that this was a car from a Porsche dealership with a full warranty was the difference between him feeling the need to drive the car or not. In the past he or someone else has driven the cars to see how they are but at $70 large from a P-car dealership I think he was probably ok. I'm surprised the dealership didn't catch the problem before selling it however. On a side-bar, I would NEVER buy a car for that kind of money w/out driving it first unless it were brand spanking new or someone I trusted had checked it out. This friend of mine takes a bit of risk but his cars have always had under 5K miles on them. I do know a guy at my office who purchased a used 996 from the dealer in Westlake Village CA (Rusnak) and they never disclosed that it had some body work done. When he went there to trade it in on an X5 BMW they said there were some spots where paint had run due to poorly done repainting over the damaged areas. He never even knew the car had been hit! He took an even bigger bath than normal on that trade in. I think the suggestion should be to have a full PPI done on a car first. My friend simply expected that a reputable dealer would have done this up front. In the end its his money and he can do what he wants. He thinks of things after the fact. Last night he said he wished his car sounded more like my car instead of a Honda Accord. I told him I have a drilled airbox and Mille Miglia mufflers and that it cost me some $$$ to get the sound. I explained about some sort of package the 997s have (an option of some kind I think) which you press a button and the computer settings change along with the exhaust note. I said another way to fix the problem is to really put your right foot into it....that should wake up the neighbors!
Old 02-07-2006, 02:45 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

News Flash!!!! A NEW TRANNY HAS BEEN RECOMMENDED.......Tech said that although it was shifting fine this morning it was still making an unusual noise when decellerating. Just needs authorization from that rep that denied the 996TT tranny. Stay tuned.

Quick Reply: Bad Tranny