illuminated door sills thumbs up

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 03:16 PM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MHC2S
Robster,
We know this. It's just that none of us have ever seen a C4S illuminated door sill. Those that have a C4S and have ordered the illuminated door sill option have gotten a "Carrera S" illuminated door sill. Not very good on Porsches part.

Robster have you seen a C4S illuminated door sill??? We would all love to know if such a thing exists!
Yes, they are out there-- since new year's I've looked at two showroom C4S cars which had them, at dealers in Pittsburgh and Chicago (below pic-from 12/05 build) & they look trick! A dealer who tells you they aren't available is not doing his diligence.

The funniest one was someone - a Rennlister if I recall- an early buyer who got the non-illuminated "Turbo S" door sills from the 996 bin on his new 997S. ...(did he get the 444 bhp engine too?)

Maybe initially PAG's illumi sills supplier were slow in tooling up to do the parts for C4/4S. Not to be overly harsh but if you're the guy on the production queue responsible for cementing door sills, how do you botch that up? It's not like translating arabic numbers to cyrillic numerals.

p s- these were attached correctly to a C4S!!!!
Old 02-20-2006, 06:16 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Paul and CRG...
Thank you both very much for your posts,...this has been killing me and Alfie. Now we know that I do indeed have the wrong sills.
Other thing I noticed was that instead of one, I have two air intakes with a CF airbox on my engine, ...just kidding!
Old 02-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Robster1958
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<<<Robster have you seen a C4S illuminated door sill??? We would all love to know if such a thing exists!>>>

I have now!!! hahahah.

also, MHC2S, you converted me....i just changed my order to include them too. exactly how much kickback are you getting for each $780??
Old 02-20-2006, 07:57 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm glad to see they finally exist. Coochas you may want to take that pic and go down to your dealer and have them get you the correct ones for your car. Clearly a mistake on Porsches part. I'm happy we finally cleared this up. Stan thank you for posting that pic. After all a photo of worth a thousand words!!!!!
Old 02-20-2006, 07:58 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robster1958
<<<Robster have you seen a C4S illuminated door sill??? We would all love to know if such a thing exists!>>>

I have now!!! hahahah.

also, MHC2S, you converted me....i just changed my order to include them too. exactly how much kickback are you getting for each $780??
LOL,Me too thats the first ones I've ever seen with the C4S logo. Thank god they exist for those that have such a wounderful car
Old 02-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Sills

Changed my order last week or so to the illuminated sills and still in ORDXMC .

Let's hope I don't get bumped to the end of the line for the change

I got to view these on another local RENNLIST members car. Man they look good, so the change was made. Thanks RSHANHOLTZ!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 02-21-2006, 08:50 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

so, where do the wires go? I took out the original plastic one and installed the regular SS just a couple months ago...all double sided tapes...and now this illuminated sills come out! this forum is costing me $$
Old 02-21-2006, 11:53 PM
jfraser
Instructor

THPorsche,
It's not really a DIY job...I tried, and it was a PITA...I knocked the power off in the driver's door, I was pretty sure I knew what had happened, but I took it as a sign to have the dealer finish the job before I really f@$ked something up....driver's side install, there's a ribbon cable from the ss door sill, it goes under the door seal, into the wiring duct of the inner door sill, to the fuse box area, up the corrugated rubber hose into the door and then wire tapped into the door control unit cable!!! and if that doesn't scare you, you have to remove the following....door seal, inner door sill, side carpet, door wire harness, door trim panel & bass speaker!!!! Talk about overly complicated !!!
Old 02-22-2006, 12:06 AM
jfraser
Instructor

Sorry, I should have told you what the problem was in case anyone decides to throw caution to the wind and install it themselves....It is essential when you re-assemble the door control unit connector to reseat the pins properly, otherwise you'll kill all power to the door.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:46 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jfraser
THPorsche,
It's not really a DIY job...I tried, and it was a PITA...I knocked the power off in the driver's door, I was pretty sure I knew what had happened, but I took it as a sign to have the dealer finish the job before I really f@$ked something up....driver's side install, there's a ribbon cable from the ss door sill, it goes under the door seal, into the wiring duct of the inner door sill, to the fuse box area, up the corrugated rubber hose into the door and then wire tapped into the door control unit cable!!! and if that doesn't scare you, you have to remove the following....door seal, inner door sill, side carpet, door wire harness, door trim panel & bass speaker!!!! Talk about overly complicated !!!
I guess I won't be spending $1000 ($500 parts + labor) on this then. I am going to paint mine with glow in the dark paint...
Old 05-09-2006, 01:12 AM
blkc4sny
Instructor

I'm picking up my 2004 996 C4S this week, Does anyone know whether or not I can get an illluminated door sil on my new ride? I love the way they look!
Old 05-09-2006, 10:41 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by blkc4sny
I'm picking up my 2004 996 C4S this week, Does anyone know whether or not I can get an illluminated door sil on my new ride? I love the way they look!
Yes, you can order it from the dealer. Quite a few guys here have retro fitted the illiminated door sills after taking delivery on their cars.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:35 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Maybe: "Ich liebe es!" ?

I don't know, my German is keine gut.

Was soll das?

<g>
Old 05-09-2006, 05:00 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
Maybe: "Ich liebe es!" ?

I don't know, my German is keine gut.

Was soll das?

<g>
Yah g Ich auch, Just got down to your local dealer and order a pair. You'll feel better and your car will look great everytime you open it up
Old 05-09-2006, 11:21 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Coochas - do you have the illuminated sills on your SY 997? I'm thinking of ordering mine in SY and I just don't know how the sills would look against the yellow.

Quick Reply: illuminated door sills thumbs up