Sponsored by:

Lowering a 997 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 01:06 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lori
Yes, I think a true performance car should have a Limited Slip Differential. I remember someone explaining why it's not as critical on the rear engine Porsche but still if they get it in Europe then it must be worth something. Am I correct.
Because the car already has massive traction due to the engine placement and an LSD can add to the already massive understeer.

The Elise is faster around a track in the car without the LSD. The option was only added to appease the whining owners but the engineers preferred the car without it.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:08 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jjporsch43
Running H&R Springs with PASM-no issues. Doubt if it'll ruin PASM-more tales of unsubstansiated data........................

JohnJ in SA Texas.
You're running with a reduced amount of suspension travel and a different spring rate than the shocks were originally valved for. You can't honestly believe that this has no adverse wear and handling effects.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:48 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Because the car already has massive traction due to the engine placement and an LSD can add to the already massive understeer.

The Elise is faster around a track in the car without the LSD. The option was only added to appease the whining owners but the engineers preferred the car without it.

Not exactly right. If you make the necessary alignment changes to the car with LSD it shouldn't be any slower than the car without.
Agree that on fast turns (60mph+) and given the lowly torque of the 1.8L the LSD provides no benefit, but I felt the need not only at AutoX but on most hairpins at any track, and on 2nd gear tight corners.

I also have a Carrera S and that car for the little time I've driven it, it seems that ABD is doing a neat job of substituting a real LSD, but nevertheless the real thing will always be better and that's why it is an option in Europe and standard on the GTx cars.

Quick Reply: Lowering a 997 C2S