Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning and Conditioning the Leather

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 12:26 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Deanski, I appreciate your sharing your experience with us. I want to know more about this Zaino Z-10. Have you tried it in a full leather 996 or 997? Does it restore and enhance the original leather smell that the car came with when new? I'm looking to explore and possibly find something that will enhance the natural leather smell instead of add an artificial overpowering smell to it. So I guess I'm looking for something with a neutral smell. What would you recommend?
Old 02-04-2006, 12:52 AM
Snoopy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone use the Porsche Tequipment leather products? I want something that keeps the leather as natural as possible. No greasy shine, no weird smells.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:36 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I want something that keeps the leather as natural as possible. No greasy shine, no weird smells.
Me too. I like the smooth, mat finish of the leather. Don't want to use anything that will make it greasy or shiny.

Deanski. I too like the 303 for tires (Ben Performance Products carries this if you're interested)
Old 02-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OCBen
Thanks Deanski, I appreciate your sharing your experience with us. I want to know more about this Zaino Z-10. Have you tried it in a full leather 996 or 997? Does it restore and enhance the original leather smell that the car came with when new? I'm looking to explore and possibly find something that will enhance the natural leather smell instead of add an artificial overpowering smell to it. So I guess I'm looking for something with a neutral smell. What would you recommend?
OCBen,

You're welcome. First, clean any leather with the Woolite mix (cheaper and does a superb job) at 6 to 1, wipe off and repeat until the cloth is not picking up dirt shown on the cloth surface. Dry with another clean cloth. Treat with Zaino Z-10 for that new leather smell. It's so damn close to new leather that's why they call it "Leather in a bottle" and rightly so. I reminded me of the SC430 when it was new without the plastic smell from vinyl from the dash areas.

I've done 996 and past with this combo and people just are so happy with the results and the smell of the leather in the cockpit when they get it. They always ask how did I get the leather to smell brand new again. I then offer a bottle and leave them with the instructions on how to properly clean and treat the leather for those willing to do it themselves.

For all others really wanting to learn how to keep their car looking new and those into being as **** as I am, please check out www.Autopia.org for all types of detail info and results. This way, you can see and read for yourself before purchasing products that may or may not work for your application. This site is one of the best reference sites and has sponsors, professionals as well. Another well informed site: www.Detailcity.com. You will find me on both forums quite often.

One other trick was to use Griots leather interior sent. Not bad as well, but I like the Zaino Z-10 better for true new leather smell.

On older Porsche interior leathers, I use Leatherique which is an oil and cleaner and is more labor intensive, but restores leather back to the way it should be. The oil draws out any contamination by applying liberal amounts, covering it with plastic wrap and parking it in the sun to increase the heat which draws all the dirt out. Then the cleaner is used. You can see what's involved at the website: www.Leatherique.com.

There is another product I use for leather from 1Z called Lederpflege which is somewhat of a 1-step product. It cleans AND conditions. Not overly leather smelling, but nice as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 02-04-2006, 11:15 AM
OCBen
Banned

Deanski, have you ever used any of the Porsche Tequipment leather products, as Snoopy above is also interested in knowing?

P.S. I'll check with Dave Bynon and see what he recommends, though I suspect it's something from his own product line.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:11 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a timely thread, as new products become available all the time. Many of us have used the Connolly Hide Food and also Lexol for years and years and have been generally satisfied with the results. Meguiars has a new 2 step Gold Class aloe leather cleaner and conditioner that I used on the BMW a few months ago. (At least I think its a relatively new product) It cleaned and restored the black leather to a new look, without any greasiness or unnatural shine. I was thrilled with the results, but haven't used anything on the 997S yet (full leather) because the interior still has that wonderful new car leather smell. But I appreciate the educational value of this forum and welcome the input on your experiences.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:47 PM
P997C2S
Advanced

I'm reluctant to use anything other then Lexol which I have been using for many years and has kept my leather looking like new. It doesn't leave any "greasy" feel to the leather and I've never smelled anything objectionable after its been applied.

I would not choose a leather product based on its leather like smell. The manufacturer has simply added a leather scent to the product. The leather scent is available commercially and can be added to any leather conditioner. It can also be sprayed on the carpet or under the seats as is commonly done by detailers.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:14 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I also have used lexol for 20 plus years with excellent results. I like the fact it is non greasy as well and does not attract dust and dirt.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Lexol also should be wiped after appying. At times it can make seats feel a bit slippery. Also, Lexol smell seems very flat and more like new clothing leather as opposed to new car leather.

Try the Z-10. It's truly Leather in a bottle!

I've used all types: Hide food, Meguiars, 1Z, Autoglym etc but still go back and stick with Z-10

Deanski
Old 02-06-2006, 10:34 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Deanski
Try the Z-10. It's truly Leather in a bottle!
I just don't want anything that has an artificial leather smell. Sounds like this Z-10 product has such a smell, according to your "leather in a bottle" description.

A neutral smelling product should bring out the natural leather smell of the unholstery and not contribute any artificial smell that will mask or clash with that particular leather's natural scent.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:06 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in the auto interior repair business and the Woolite mix is a great cleaner. I have used this on seats that are really soiled. Spray on and use a soft bristle brush, then whip with a clean cloth. I have never used Z-10 but sounds like a good product.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Look at it this way, Lexol is easy to aquire, and has been used for years and years. It's when you start working directly on auto detailing and auto leather care that you start to look for that one product that can make leather soft and smell like new car leathers. I've found that Z-10 smells just like new car leather, nothing more and not an overpowering smell.

For really bad leather, Leatherique system is the only last resort prior to recovering.

Woolite works as one of the best leather cleaners and can be made quickly. One of the best ways to clean leather safely.

Z-10 does not have a artificial smell and again brings back that new car smell. Try it and see for yourself! Small price for such a great product. If you want more objective discussion, search Autopia.org.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 02-06-2006, 11:20 AM
OCBen
Banned

Deanski, I already posted the autopia link in this thread. You may have missed it. Scroll half way down to the section entitled "Detailing Leather Upholstery."

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...98&postcount=5
Old 02-06-2006, 11:59 AM
P997C2S
Advanced

The "natural leather smell" of new leather is not the natural smell of the leather. It is an artificial scent that the tanners use to mask the very unpleasant rancid smell of new leather. The leather scent the tanners use is available commercially and many leather conditioning products already contain it.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Leather Cleaning

Ben, I see the link. I just reccomend those just to browes the site as well.

Anyway, Lexol to me smells like urine going on, then leave the seats tacky feeling even after wiping. The smell goes away after the wipe though. Meguiars smells like aloe lotion. Hide Food smells like Kerosene.

Problem with Lexol is that everyone has seen or used it most of their lifetime. Don't get me wrong, Lexol is a great product. However, auto seats/leathers are different. Some are coated, some are not. Some are cured a much different way than normal "tanned" leathers.

Tanners include: Elmo Sweden, Wollsdorf Austria, Gosh Leather, Connolly England and Muirhead. Some leathers are coated some are not. Most new auto leathers ARE coated, so oils etc have a very hard time passing through the coating and into the leather. FOr the most part, you're just "feeding" the coatings.

Same can be said to car polishes. 3M rules in the finish trade, but there are much higher quality polishes that can smoke 3M's best. Menzerna polishes can be one of the best or finest polishes out. Made in Germany by a company that makes the finest abrasives in the world.

Another product I used is made by 4 Star for leather. Another good product.

If you like Lexol then stick with what works for you. If you want a more true feel and smell of new leather than look into Z-10 or 4-Star. For really poor maintained and neglected leather, there's Leatherique.

Zaino name can provoke some users I know.

Deanski

Quick Reply: Cleaning and Conditioning the Leather