Self wash vs car wash

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 08:45 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dweiser
I may have the best solution.
Very careful younger woman comes to my home and washes mine using my Adam's car care products.
The bad news is she charges.
They all charge. ... And we all pay one way or the other.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:12 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to be obsessive about hand washing the car myself many years ago. It didn't take long, however, for me to scratch the door when I got too close to it with the wand. Since then it's been automatic car washes for me. Granted if you drive a dark colored car you will eventually get swirls from this. If you have a light colored vehicle then swirls are much less of a problem. Also Mercedes uses a very good "nano paint" technology that is much more resistant to scrathes and swirls and on my black S class I have no swirls after one year of automatic car washes.

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/...tid=21942&pg=1
Old 02-01-2006, 01:22 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by boolala
Also Mercedes uses a very good "nano paint" technology that is much more resistant to scrathes and swirls and on my black S class I have no swirls after one year of automatic car washes.
Direct links to Mercedes nano particle CeramiClear™ technology can be found here, especially the last link which has excellent illustrations:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...2&postcount=46
Old 02-01-2006, 01:46 AM
mdonline
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in a condo which doesn't have a place that I can wash the car. So I takes it to my mother in laws house and wash it there, only to get lectured on how penny-wise-pound-foolish I am about spending 100k on a car but yet too cheap to pay the poor car wash guy who needs my $10 to feed his family. Get the same lecture every single time!

I crank up my IPOD at max volume, put a grin on my face, nod to the music, and keep on washing....Then I lay down some rubber, leave some smoke behind...and I am gone...with a bigger grin on my face.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:18 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Leader
It's not sculpture.
Actually, it is - however it's functional sculpture - there's a whole market for that in the art world....

anyways, one advantage to driving a car with **** paint is I have no qualms about putting it away wet. The paint is oxidized, it ain't getting any worse. I'll just power wash the dirt off occasionally, hardly ever bother with soap. When I get something decent it will be a different story however.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:40 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do our rear tires fit into the track that is used to rinse the hand wash? I would be afraid to scuff them.

When I still had warranty, I would visit the dealer all the time. You get a loaner and a hand wash. Sure it wasn't a full detail but it was nice.

If the car wash is 100% by hand, it's okay to paid someone else do it. The towel they use is cheap though so a black car will end with with fine scratches. Most other color are fine.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:16 AM
Crivens
Instructor

Im not happy to scratch it myself, im even less happy to pay someone else to scratch it for me.

www.red964.com/html/dyndex.php
www.projectsonly.co.uk
Old 02-01-2006, 09:03 AM
Weissy
Instructor

At the end of the day these are just cars right???? I love my c2s but its still just a car, nothing that cant be fixed or replaced. I know some guys like to do everything them selves be it washing there car or putting a deck on there house. However I get no joy out of doing stuff like that, nor do I really have the time. I would rather be on the golf course then in my driveway with a hose. If the car wash I use put a big scratch in my door lets say...... Whats the worst that happens???? I am out 1k to get it fixed perfectly and in the end never know it was there?? I mean I am all for not throwing away money but if we are driving around in these cars we should be able to fix them up if by some chance a car wash maybe puts a scratch on it.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Wash by two-bucket method. Always used real sheepskin mitts. Dry with blade and waffel weave towels or if the area is fully wet with little dirt then hand held leaf blower.

As long as the finish is glass smooth, a few wipes with a QD and micro-fiber and I'm done. If it's not smooth, clay, then glaze or wax.

Never would bring a car to an auto car wash if you value your finish. Too many variables. And I subscribe to Professional Carwash & Detaling. No matter what they claim as to "touchless" etc, the items that DO touch your finish are full of dirt, the chemicals are harsh and are designed to remove dirt and attempt to shine as well. Same for "hand wash" conveyor washes, all mitts are LOADED with dirt.

If you really want a flawless finish, do it yourself with a two-bucket method with grit guards. Get as much off prior to "touching" the finish with clean water or water/soap mix to float off dirt.

More info can be found on Autopia.org or Detailcity.com on all types of washing, detailing etc.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 02-01-2006, 10:10 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OCBen
They all charge. ... And we all pay one way or the other.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

what about those powerwash thingys? Or those ones where the thing has the arms that go over your car....?
Old 02-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 99 Posts

I recently discovered the main source or swirls on my black 997S and I thought I was doing everything correctly...When I couldn't wash it myself, I would go to the touchless laser wash- nothing but water touches the car. Then I would hand dry myself what the air dry didn't get and that's where I picked up the swirls. The water only wash didn't get all the fine particles off the paint and my diligent drying slowly burnished the residual dirt into the paint. And I thought I was so careful. Any other color would probably be ok.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:22 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Deanski
If you really want a flawless finish, do it yourself with a two-bucket method with grit guards. Get as much off prior to "touching" the finish with clean water or water/soap mix to float off dirt.
You may not be aware of it but I've already laid down a decent method for everyone here if they're interested:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...53&postcount=1
Old 02-01-2006, 10:26 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Kevin Keating
I recently discovered the main source or swirls on my black 997S and I thought I was doing everything correctly...When I couldn't wash it myself, I would go to the touchless laser wash- nothing but water touches the car. Then I would hand dry myself what the air dry didn't get and that's where I picked up the swirls. The water only wash didn't get all the fine particles off the paint and my diligent drying slowly burnished the residual dirt into the paint. And I thought I was so careful. Any other color would probably be ok.
Check out my drying technique for avoiding scratches, especially on black cars:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/232170-preventing-fine-micro-scratches-and-keeping-your-new-car-looking-new.html
Old 02-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Wash link

Originally Posted by OCBen
You may not be aware of it but I've already laid down a decent method for everyone here if they're interested:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...53&postcount=1
Thanks big guy! Very nice write up!

Also going to read your version on BLACK as this IS my color of my new spec C2S with Aero Kit AND PCCB's!

Deanski

Quick Reply: Self wash vs car wash