Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self wash vs car wash

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 05:04 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wolfgang, if you use a dust cover while your car's in the garage, your kitty cats won't leave paw prints or, worse yet, scratches. And you may not need to wash it but every 2 or 3 weeks. I haven't washed mine this year yet! But then again, it's not a daily driver.

It's really easy to maintain yourself. All it takes to convince you of that is one screw up like what happened to woodranch when he paid others to wash it for him by hand. Hopefully the damage done is not beyond repair.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

This is not an either/or proposition. All "car washes" are not equal. Most will put some scratches on your car's finish, but there are a few that will not. Most major cities have a "hand wash" carwash that caters to high-end vehicles - and they do a pretty good job of cleaning your car without doing damage to the shiny paint.
My car is Black so, I'm at a disadvantage right away. Black is going to show EVERYTHING. However, I'm sometimes too busy to wash it myself. But, there is a "hand wash" in my neck of The Valley that does a good job (Handy J's)...and so far has not added significantly to the tiny-little-scratch collection my car is starting to accumulate.
I do wash it myself - at which time I work on those blemishes, trying to stay ahead of the inevitable. But, you know what? It's much more fun to drive and enjoy my 997 than it is to obsess over its day-to-day appearance. I keep it clean. I keep it shiny. Maybe not to the standards of a councours judge, but, that's okay. I drive it. It gets dirty. It's not sculpture.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:29 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

Self hand wash or have a guy come to the house for a hand wash.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:32 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by JASCLASS
Self hand wash or have a guy come to the house for a hand wash.
You mean the guy from 'Brokeback Mountain'?
Old 01-31-2006, 05:36 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

before or after it on the track in the rain!
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2006, 06:15 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

I take my daughters to the car wash with me (hand wash, not machine) and I buy them beanie babies while we wait.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:21 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey Leader is there still nice Trim at Handy J's.In the old days you would see the most beautiful women there.I think that is when the 2 brothers owned it.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:23 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
This is not an either/or proposition. All "car washes" are not equal. Most will put some scratches on your car's finish, but there are a few that will not. Most major cities have a "hand wash" carwash that caters to high-end vehicles - and they do a pretty good job of cleaning your car without doing damage to the shiny paint.
My car is Black so, I'm at a disadvantage right away. Black is going to show EVERYTHING. However, I'm sometimes too busy to wash it myself. But, there is a "hand wash" in my neck of The Valley that does a good job (Handy J's)...and so far has not added significantly to the tiny-little-scratch collection my car is starting to accumulate.
I do wash it myself - at which time I work on those blemishes, trying to stay ahead of the inevitable. But, you know what? It's much more fun to drive and enjoy my 997 than it is to obsess over its day-to-day appearance. I keep it clean. I keep it shiny. Maybe not to the standards of a councours judge, but, that's okay. I drive it. It gets dirty. It's not sculpture.
I am pretty mucn in agreement with this 100%. I sometimes use a hand wash place, and sometimes do it myself. I drive it every day and keep it clean and shiny, but I am not going to worry about it being showroom quality every single day of the car's life. I was it weekly and polish it when it needs it, wax, etc.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:39 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCBen
All it takes to convince you of that is one screw up like what happened to woodranch
Ben, you are right on the money there. That's when I started thinking. Plus, I read your car wash and detailing threads and got a better idea of what I should be doing to make this a success. I will definitely give it a try and keep you updated.

As far as cats on cars are concerned, leaving the cover off is actually a better idea. Cats are pretty smart and don't use their claws on the car because using claws would actually put them at a disadvantage. Their little rubbery paws are much superior in holding on to those stable, relatively flat, hard surfaces. Once you add the cover, the surface becomes unstable and soft, and their claws come out because it's harder for them to hold on; and, honestly, a cover would be no match for my fat Murphy's huge claws. But I dust out the garage a lot so that the cats don't carry tiny little stones in their paws. THAT would be really bad.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:41 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive around looking for the kids doing the weekend fundraiser car washes
Old 01-31-2006, 06:50 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by SrfCity
That's funny.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:28 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Wait till about noon on a real hot day to do it....helps the paint "cure" a little better
Old 01-31-2006, 08:05 PM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

It's especially fun when they play "snake" by cranking up the water pressure and the nozzle does a tap dance on your car.

i wash @ home.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:15 PM
Cogito
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may have the best solution.
Very careful younger woman comes to my home and washes mine using my Adam's car care products.
The bad news is she charges.

I even had her Rejex the P-car when it was brand new.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:21 PM
MMD
Banned

Would you get into a hot tub that contained a lawnmower to churn up the water?

HAND WASH ONLY! GEEZ!!!

Quick Reply: Self wash vs car wash