Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 04:50 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sport Chrono question

For all of you that opted for the Sport Chrono option. I have a question.

When I push the sport button and engage the Sport Chrono option from a stand still and start to drive I am having clutch issues. For some reason the clutch does not want to engage properly. When I turn off the Sport Chrono the car seems normal. Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 01-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope. Mine works beautifully. you have to be much s m o o t h e r with your throttle though, or it will feel jerky as if there's a problem with the clutch.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:33 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Nope. Mine works beautifully. you have to be much s m o o t h e r with your throttle though, or it will feel jerky as if there's a problem with the clutch.
Yes that must be it. It really feels jerky when you engage sport chrono from a standing start. Never felt anything like it.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:45 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Another black mark against the Sport Chrono option.
Keep 'em coming guys, that's what I like to hear.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:54 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

personally i like the chrono - havent used it much (only had the car 3 days) - bit its a cool toy...i think it looks good too - everyone i show my car to says wow, whats the that!!??!!
Old 01-30-2006, 07:00 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't find the throttle sensitive at all on the sport mode. I prefer it over the standard setting. I wish they had a separate button for the pse though like the non chrono cars. There may be a time when my pse is broken in and louder that I might want the sport on without the pse.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:59 PM
steve775
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very happy with sport chrono, this is my first 911 so I have no pre-conceived notion of what the interior is supposed to look like, i.e. no stop watch, I think it looks fine and it's covered in full leather, and it appears to be of very high quality.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:15 AM
Moderato
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would order Sport Crono for the reasons that it supposedly has extra parameters for PASM, and increases the thresholds for PSM. The throttle response is just something you get used to, whether it's fast or slow, either way if you're a good driver you'll adapt and get the desired result. OTOH heel & toe will be easier with a more responsive throttle, for these reasons Sport Crono is a must have option, IMO.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:46 PM
Ian C
Advanced

IMHO the Sports Chrono is a must - I would happily do without the stopwatch sitting on top of the dash but for me there are other advantages:
- Ultra-sharp throttle response
- PSM parameters are wider and there is less interference from traction control etc
- Heel and toe is so much easier - cannot understand why Porsche altered pedal position compared with 996 and this seems to affect for RHD and LHD cars. 996 pedals were perfectly positioned for heel and toe but in non-sport mode I find it difficult on 997S.
- In combination with PSE it is more of a "special occasion" sensation when driving compared with standard mode and car feels so much more responsive
Old 01-31-2006, 03:03 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian C
IMHO the Sports Chrono is a must - I would happily do without the stopwatch sitting on top of the dash but for me there are other advantages:
- Ultra-sharp throttle response
- PSM parameters are wider and there is less interference from traction control etc
- Heel and toe is so much easier - cannot understand why Porsche altered pedal position compared with 996 and this seems to affect for RHD and LHD cars. 996 pedals were perfectly positioned for heel and toe but in non-sport mode I find it difficult on 997S.
- In combination with PSE it is more of a "special occasion" sensation when driving compared with standard mode and car feels so much more responsive
Hopefully I get confirmation of your views as the car that I just bought today from the dealer lot has Sport Chrono and the Sport Exhaust... so by the weekend I should have figured it out if its really worth it or not.

The PSM threshold I already know it does little for me as if I feel like pushing it I drive with PSM fully off and when I'm doing regular commuter driving not being 100% concentrated or in terrible weather I rather have the full safety net ON (Same applies as when my wife will ocasionally drive the car).

I was thinking that a great aftermarket upgrade could be to link Sportchrono and GPS functionality and have nice applications like Auto-Lap-timming, sector timing, etc.... Does anyone now if PCM can be hacked?
Old 01-31-2006, 03:19 PM
P997C2S
Advanced

It's a must have IMO.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:27 PM
OCBen
Banned

It's a must not have, IMO.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:41 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

Originally Posted by OCBen
Another black mark against the Sport Chrono option.
Keep 'em coming guys, that's what I like to hear.
Shut up Ben or I'll kick your ***!
Old 01-31-2006, 04:54 PM
OCBen
Banned

Old 01-31-2006, 10:16 PM
zffnhsn
Rennlist Member

When you go to Sport, engine and chassis parameters change. You might just be experiencing those not so subtle differences. The stop watch function is kind of useless, the best way to view your times on the track is with an external lap timer unless your lightning fast and super accurate on pushing the set button each time you cross a given point on the road course. Having said all that, I'm envious. That's one fine car you're playing around in.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono question