Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I would order the Flava Flav Sport Chrono option:
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

I find the throttle too jerky, no SC for me. Normal linear throttle response is just fine, thanks. OTOH, I don't mind the leather colored wart so much.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:24 AM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PSM is never "fully off, is it <?>

tino
Old 02-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soltino
PSM is never "fully off, is it <?>

tino
No.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:23 PM
P997C2S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
It's a must not have, IMO.
Well unless you can figure out how to hack the DME (and other control units) if you want the following features you're pretty much stuck with configuring the car with the SCP option. I am happy with the enhanced throttle sensitivity and individual memory configuration options. For those reasons alone it was a must have option for me. If the wart is really objectionable it can be removed and the dash can be covered in leather (which I might do).

Excerpts from the 2006 997 Brochure:

When Sport mode is selected on the optional Sport Chrono Package Plus, the PSM threshold is extended even further to enable greater driver involvement, particularly at speeds up to 44 mph. Also included in the Chrono Package is a modified ABS, offering shorter braking distances.

More than a collection of the world’s most refined race-bred technologies, the Porsche 911 is a driving experience. One that can now be elevated with Sport Chrono Package Plus, an optional system providing simultaneous enhancements for engine, chassis and the optional Tiptronic S transmission. Behind the wheel, you’ll experience greater levels of performance and driving pleasure.

Sport mode with a touch of a button. Pressing the Sport button on the center console is all that’s required to begin exploiting the generous reserves of power and agility in a more immediate manner. In Sport mode, the engine management system’s variable parameters are recalibrated to enhance engine response. A modified throttle map empowers your right foot with a more progressive reaction to each tap of the accelerator. In higher gears, a rev-limiter works in tandem to offer additional protection for the engine under acceleration. On vehicles fitted with Tiptronic S transmission, automatic gearshifts also become faster and more dynamic. Lift off the throttle— even at high revs—and the system immediately shifts down to apply engine braking. Unwanted upshifts in manual mode are also prevented, even as you approach the engine’s rev limit. The payoff? More secure and predictable handling, particularly in the corners. While all of this is happening, PASM switches to a more rigid setup with firmer electronic damper settings for precise cornering, improved high-speed stability and tenacious road-holding traction. (Note: PASM, or Porsche Active Suspension Management, is standard on all 911 Carrera S models and optional on all 911 Carrera models.) Porsche Stability Management also optimizes performance by raising the thresholds for triggering any automatic intervention by the ABS and engine management systems, resulting in a more natural response, but less forgiving to lateral and longitudinal g-forces.

A digital/analog timer mounted on the center dashboard keeps score, measuring time as deftly as the 911 transcends it. Exhilarating? Count on it. To help you gauge the performance of your 911 in a more exacting manner, a digital/analog stopwatch tracks time from hours down to hundredths of a second. Driving times can be recorded for any stretch of road, and benchmark times can be defined. Stopwatch functions are operated using a control stalk mounted to the side of the steering wheel, and data is continuously fed to an onboard computer integrated into the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system. A second digital display located on the instrument cluster gives your eyes another option for viewing time information, while the PCM display lets you analyze detailed performance data at your leisure.The system records and displays the time and distance traveled on the current segment, number of segments completed with respective times, and the fastest segment. Other useful features include a memory function controlled via the PCM system, which can store a range of personal preferences.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:46 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by P997C2S
Well unless you can figure out how to hack the DME (and other control units) if you want the following features you're pretty much stuck with configuring the car with the SCP option.
Bingo! ... That's the whole point. I don't want those other features and I couldn't care less about them either. My car will never see a track as long as I'm the owner. ... I, however, will choose to beat a PDE car if and when I go on a track, and I don't intend to use Sport Chrono if I go. I want to learn on a car with the same settings as mine.
Excerpts from the 2006 997 Brochure:
You're quoting slick sales spiel??? Oh my!

The whole thrust behind advertisement copy is to persuade the reader to buy whatever it is they're hawking, be it snake oil, or in this case, a gimmicky gadget.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:51 PM
P997C2S
Advanced

The whole thrust behind advertisement copy is to persuade the reader to buy whatever it is they're hawking, be it snake oil, or in this case, a gimmicky gadget.
That might be true but the fact remains that there is a very noticeable difference in the throttle response in Sport mode. That is not advertising hype. You also don't have to be on a track to take advantage of the remapped engine, ABS/PASM/PSM threshold settings as well as the individual memory PCM options.

The only "gadget" is the timer which you can just choose to use, not use or have removed.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:09 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by P997C2S
That might be true but the fact remains that there is a very noticeable difference in the throttle response in Sport mode.
Yes, we all know that. Perhaps you may have missed this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...5&postcount=25
Old 02-01-2006, 03:25 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

riad, the Flav Chrono Option is one of the funniest things I have ever seen...

"YO FLAV! What's my lap time?"
Old 02-01-2006, 03:42 PM
P997C2S
Advanced

Yes, we all know that. Perhaps you may have missed this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...5&postcount=25
Thanks for the drama. I only drive the car in sport mode and the throttle response is no more "touchy" then the sensitive steering or brake response is. My only compliant is that it defaults back to sport mode off at engine shutdown.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:49 PM
OCBen
Banned

Yes, I also noted the same shortcoming, that it doesn't stay on all the time, which would make it easier to acclimate oneself to only one throttle mapping.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsh-uh
riad, the Flav Chrono Option is one of the funniest things I have ever seen...

"YO FLAV! What's my lap time?"

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono question