Sponsored by:

997 TT Car & Driver

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 04:23 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two thoughts at 3AM
1. With all the emphasis on plastic bumper appearances, are you guys underestimating 997 chasis improvements? (ie the 997S is nearly as fast at the "ring" as the 996 based gt3).

2. Re PSM, today's WSJ reported the the gov plans to requre a PSM equivalent on ALL cars sold in the good ole USA.

Jack
Old 02-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by maoun
agreed. and i was referring to a slide....not a full on fish-tail. so i think we're in the same boat.

though there is something VERY fun about sliding. (see my previous car www.marwane.com/mag )....it's the great part of some american cars.
doubt you really want to full fishtail a 911 anyways - the rear engine acts as a pendulum, it'll carry you in a half turn, and if your car is not PSM equipped (i.e. the GT3) you'll quickly be reading the front license plate of the car behind you.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:09 PM
aaoun
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

agreed. :-)

i think that's how most newbies end up crashin their 911's
Old 02-02-2006, 07:13 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by LVDell
And what reason do you have for going sideways??? I understand it is fun to try and control a beast in that manner (and quite the adrenaline rush) but you realize that is the slower way around the track?
I don't need a reason. I just want to.

And please, while I am not the fastest guy on the track, I am in the fast group. So spare me about the slowest way around the corner.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:18 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
doubt you really want to full fishtail a 911 anyways - the rear engine acts as a pendulum, it'll carry you in a half turn, and if your car is not PSM equipped (i.e. the GT3) you'll quickly be reading the front license plate of the car behind you.
Sigh, then you are simply not capable of controlling the car.

Modern P cars, even with PSM, can really bite you hard if you get it sideways via momentum. This is tricky to control, but can be done. Happened to me at my first track event with the P car at the Vegas outside track.

This is different than the power on oversteer that is quite safe and fun at 30mph that the PSM will not allow.

Oversteer is not a big deal, not being able to control it is. Mod the driver before modding the car.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:24 PM
stuka
Pro

agreed. :-)

i think that's how most newbies end up crashin their 911's
It takes talent to crash new 911's, what with the Please Save Me system and all.

I don't know why PAG is so scared to have a system like BMW that allows the drivers aide to be fully turned of. But I suppose most "porsh" poseurs are probably better off with it than without, seeing as though most are ordered with tippy magic tronic anyway.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:44 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

stuka...you are quite the jerk-off. At no point did I insult you nor attack you. And who really cares what group you are in. Are you that insecure? You remind of those guys I see at the golf course that insist on playing the tips (back tees) when they are nowhere close to a scratch (zero handicap) golfer. Just want to make sure the resst of us are aware they have the "right" to play there. Please.

Moral to the story? If you are not the fastest guy on the track and are holding poeple up with all your sliding (because you just want to) do us all a favor and get your butt in a group comensurate with your laps times.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:49 PM
aaoun
Instructor

stuka,

what exactly is "stuk" up your ***?

i've been racing for years, and when i disagreed with one of LVDell's points, we discussed them logically and reasonably, rather than whipping our dicks out to measure them.

get over yourself for a minute.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 221 Posts

stuka...you are quite the jerk-off....
Dell...
This guy stuka posts every few weeks or so in the same peculiar inflammatory fashion. He trolls the forum making "poser" and "tippy magic tronic" comments and when called on it will start talking about his 996 turbo.
He is just a troll.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:10 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the heads up Dave since I don't spend as much time over here on the 997 board I wasn't aware. Off to the ignore bin for him.

ps. hows that beauty of a C4S treating you?
Old 02-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 221 Posts

Thanks for the heads up Dave since I don't spend as much time over here on the 997 board I wasn't aware. Off to the ignore bin for him.

ps. hows that beauty of a C4S treating you?
Car is fantastic. I'm not sure how else to say it!
I just love it.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:15 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

stuka,

what exactly is "stuk" up your ***?
Good one.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:27 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True, but not to go faster. That is a by-product of them pushing the car to (or near) 10/10th. In a perfect world we (mainly the professionals) would take the car right to the break point before the slide and as it break control with maximum traction and speed.
Hey Dell, I am NOT trying to get into the Stuka vs. rest of world fight, but your comment reminded me of the constructive criticism I recently got at the Skip Barber 3-Day racing school at Laguna Seca.

They said I am within the top 10 to 15 percentile of drivers (presumably who come through the school), and that my technique and ability to catch the car when it breaks loose is solid. I consistently drive right up to the point at which the car starts to break loose. However, (here comes the criticism), until I become comfortable sliding the car all the time through every corner, I will never be "fast," because all the fast guys develop maximum traction by generating the proper degree of slip angle. Specifically, maximum traction for most tires is generated when you hit a slip angle of between 2-7 degrees. So, although throwing a car sideways through the turns is slow, it is also slow driving right up to the point that you start generating slip angle. I "think" this is what maoun was trying to say.

My homework for the year is to start becoming more comfortable with driving through the corners while "sliding" with the right amount of slip angle. Until then, I will remain slow.

With respect to the PSM, I think I read that the new one will allow you to deactivate it, and that is will only reactivate if your slip angle exceeds 7 degrees AND are braking hard enough to activate ABS (whereas the current version activate merely by touching the brake when you exceed a slip angle of 7 degrees). If that is the case, then it probably wouldn't be so bad. However, I wish that they would allow you just to shut it off completely. If you consciously disable your PSM and you wreck your car, then you have nobody to blame but yourself. I am becoming a better driver, but I would like PSM for a daily driver.

Last edited by TD in DC; 02-02-2006 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:48 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Absolutely spot on Todd. Maoun and I figured out that's what we were really trying to discuss. You just defined it better for us

That is exactly what I was trying to get at when I said you should be able to take the car right to the slip angle and control it not fish tail it sideways like stucka was wanting to do.

Anyway, glad to hear you chime in. Haven't seen you on the board lately. FYI....we will be in Raleigh this summer (DC just didn't have the job opps we needed to come back for). Good news is that we are only 4 hours from DC and VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY close to VIR!!!!!!!

We'll hook up when I get back. This time on the track. Besdies, the wife and I owe you drinks
Old 02-02-2006, 08:54 PM
aaoun
Instructor

exactly :-)

Quick Reply: 997 TT Car & Driver