997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Porsche Pinocchio Files

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006 | 07:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Sales guy told my uncle when he asked "what kind of gas mileage does this car get?" he responded with "if you can afford a Porsche it doesn't matter".

No so much a Pinocchio file but rather one of those idiot sales quotes. Needless to say, my uncle left and bought his P-Car at another dealer.
Old 01-22-2006 | 07:21 PM
rickrsm
Intermediate

Two tales;
The sales idiot at Auto Gallery in the LA area actually told me after I test drove a 911S and discussed what color and options I wanted, that Porsche was not taking any new orders. (This was mid November 2005). I had to accept whatever the dealers had in inventory. He actually told me that Porsche was doing the same as Ferrari, manfacturing only a few thousand per model.
Pacific Porsche was even worse. The next day they took my deposit and order, but told me a fairy tale about the production and delivery dates. They actually couldn't deliver my car until late May, and would't bother to try and find a car for me.
Searched the internet and in one phone call bought a 911S to my spec from Rodney Bell at Motor Werks in IL. My car will be delivered this week to my home.
Old 01-22-2006 | 08:12 PM
Maryle8802
Advanced

"Salesman said I can date younger girls ................. "

Sobe,
Let me down gently, you mean that isn't true????
Old 01-22-2006 | 08:22 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Speaking of the Auto Gallery in L.A. - when I first started shopping for my 997 a salesman there told me they didn't give ANY test drives - AT ALL! When I asked if he'd unlock one of the 997's so I could at least sit in it, he said he couldn't.
Then, as he saw me get into my '88 911, he suddenly wanted to "change his tune." Needless to say I bought my car elsewhere. Whoever manages those sales guys must have no experience selling Porsches...probably a Ferrari guy.
Old 01-22-2006 | 09:46 PM
Paul523
Pro

I did not end up buying from the dealer who told me at the test-drive stage, "oh, I've seen the 19" Carrera Classics and they're TOO BIG, they look ridiculous on these cars"....of course he had 3 cars in stock with the S lobster forks at the time.

.....a real moonrock at another dealer exploiting the Holy Grail-- "the buyer of this Carrera GT is taking delivery this weekend, give me your number and once we prep it, I'll let you drive it around the block"... course I hadn't asked for or expected it, didn't happen, but how obliged I would've been the new lifetime customer if the sales assoc made good on the offer! ....well unless he made the same offer to someone else with my ordered car .

Last edited by stan523; 01-22-2006 at 10:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-22-2006 | 11:17 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rickrsm
Two tales;
The sales idiot at Auto Gallery in the LA area actually told me after I test drove a 911S and discussed what color and options I wanted, that Porsche was not taking any new orders...
Sounds like the same idiot I talked to last year at Auto Gallery; his logic was "our final price on the vehicle you're interested in is immaterial, because other dealerships mark up their financing, so we have the true best deal around."
Old 01-23-2006 | 12:55 AM
rickrsm
Intermediate

it must be the same Auto Gallery loser. He told my accountant the best lease he could offer was 4 years, and he jacked up the money factor to over 9%.
Old 01-23-2006 | 03:20 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

I hate stupid people.
i wish I could just buy a car straight from the factory.
Old 01-23-2006 | 10:44 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Some are sleaze, but most car salespeople are nice, yet they're forced to operate a certain way by their higher-ups. This is pretty interesting:

On Edmunds.com
Old 01-23-2006 | 12:14 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I'm fortunate to say that my salesman, who I sought out after talking initially with a moron, has been upfront and truthful from the start. He's also a PCA member and the guy who orders all the cars that are the dealership's spec cars. Thus, he has pretty good judgement on what's available, what looks good together, and ultimately, what sells. Unfortunately, which he and I both learned together, Porsche no longer paints to sample,--at least not all colors. About a year or so ago they discovered production problems with certain colors. Apparently they are testing colors all the time, as their outside vendors provide parts already painted that are merely slapped on the cars. In particular, light colors (non-metallic) are difficult and often result in a two-tone appearance. As a result of complaints over the past couple years, Porsche has started a list of do-not-paint colors. At last count it was around 149,--about 2 years ago. So, if you have your heart set on a particular color just have a back up in mind in the event they come back and say no go. My salesman was totally unaware of this and we learned of this together. As with most salesmen, he said (to my earlier inquiry) "no problem" to my color choice,--until PCNA came back and said no can do.

Dan
Old 01-23-2006 | 09:38 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

"Because we're the most successful dealership in the region Porsche always gives new models before any other dealer. If you want to buy the new X you will only be able to buy it at us for the next 3 months." [said to me after noticing that this dealer had a "unique" black C4S with sand beige interior...]
Old 01-24-2006 | 02:45 AM
Salespunk
Instructor

Hoehn told my wife last week that I would not spend the money on a 997 and that she should look at a 996. This was after she specifically asked to see a 997.
Old 01-24-2006 | 03:47 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Hoehn told me (and others) that the six identical slightly used 996's they were selling as "new" were Porsche "executive" cars. Turned out they were PDE cars (which another guy found out after making his deal, doing the paperwork, and only then being confronted with a waiver form.

General manager at another Porsche dealer (which also sells Audi/VW), after I asked who in their right mind would buy the fugly two-tone VW they were moving onto the showroom floor "As I always say, there's a seat for every ***, and an *** for every seat".
Old 01-24-2006 | 04:56 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

PDE?
Old 01-24-2006 | 07:34 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

PDE = Porsche Driving Experience

Quick Reply: The Porsche Pinocchio Files