Sponsored by:

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 02:50 AM
Azurro_Blue_911
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Storage

I know this topic has probably been discussed to death, but I'm curious anyway.

I live in Reno, NV and don't want to drive my car during the winter months with all the road sand and unpredictable weather. I have a battery maintainer and keep the car covered in my garage. Is there anything I should do other then starting it up occasionally? Thanking you in advance for your response.

Last edited by Azurro_Blue_911; 01-19-2006 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:24 AM
canick
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Azurro_Blue_911
I know this topic has probably been discussed to death, but I'm curious anyway.
If you know or think there is a topic that may have been discussed before, it's best to start off with a search. Type in your topic "winter storage" and I think you'll be suprised at the breadth of topics discussed - probably more than you've even thought about yet. Then, once you've covered the bases and need to drill down deeper into a particular issue, a new thread would be more valuable. Good luck.

P.S. I'm not trying to take OCBen's title, but he seems to have hung it up anyway.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:29 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Actually, you did a better job than I usually do with your detailed instructions. I just usually throw it out like a paperboy tossing it on your front porch.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/217360-winter-storage.html
Old 01-19-2006, 12:34 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Reno also. I have my 997S covered in the garage and have the Porsche battery tender hooked up to it, and its only been driven once this year. Thanks for posting this timely topic, and thanks to OCBen for posting the link to a previous thread on this topic.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

More info on storage can also be found here.

Marc
Old 01-20-2006, 11:04 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

I have read that it's better to take the car out for a 30 minute ride, weather permitting, rather than just starting it up and pulling it back in the garage. Reason being is that if you just start it up and shut it off without riding it you can make the additives within the oil more corrosive over time. This will also slow down any condesation build up as well. Get a car cover,fill the gas tank, place stabilizer in as well, and over inflate the tires slightly. Wash and wax and put it away for a nice day.
If you are not going to take the car out at all, rotate the tires ever three to four weeks. Hope this helps.

Jay

Quick Reply: Winter Storage