My transmission was made in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006 | 11:32 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by MJones
997 Manual gearboxes come from Japan

Tips are still German
My S gearbox is from Germany (sez on sticker). Are you saying non-S units are from japan?
Old 01-15-2006 | 12:00 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'll say this again.....
The port must have screwed up when they printed the Monroney label (window sticker) for your vehicle When the 997 was released the same thing occured, now its the 4 & 4S models
All 997 Transmissions for the 997 are made in Japan by Aisin AI and have the same gear ratios...
997 Transmission OEM Aisin AI
Old 01-15-2006 | 12:04 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Geez, I never thought posting a pic of my Monroney could generate such a commotion!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2006 | 12:18 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

September 16, 2004
First transaction with Porsche, Aisin AI started to deliver the 6-speed MT for 911 CARRERA

Aisin AI Co.,Ltd. (home office: Nishio City, Aichi, president: Masahiro Suo) received an order and started to delivery the MT that are for Porsche 911 CARRERA and this is our first transaction with Porsche. This product is our first RR( Rear engine, Rear drive) MT that has high-power and response in high torque, and also have good operational performance. It is newly developed product to our company. We are producing this product in brewery, and sell to Porsche through AISIN EUROPE S.A. (home office: Belgium, president: Osamu Tajima).
Old 01-15-2006 | 01:08 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

I think they are made in China. Then sent to Japan. Then sent to Germany where the drain plug is screwed in.
Old 01-15-2006 | 01:13 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Or, maybe just the speed yellow transmissions are made in Japan.
Old 01-15-2006 | 02:32 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lawjdc
I wouldn't so quick to say that workers in Germany are all German. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that the German economy is dependent on foreign workers, just like California. I recall that there is a sizeable number of Turkish immigrants that work in German factories.

Many years ago when I was going on a factory tour I watched them assemble 928s. The majority of the guys assembling the bodies were Turks. The engines are still restricted to German builders.

I think Porsche was wise to go with the Japanese tranny folks. I hear good things about them.

Dan
Old 01-15-2006 | 04:41 AM
boolala
Race Car

Who, in Germany, makes the tiptronic?
Old 01-15-2006 | 08:08 PM
jhott66
Intermediate

Who, in Germany, makes the tiptronic?

It's a Mercedes. I believe it's the DaimlerChrysler W5A580.
Old 01-15-2006 | 08:09 PM
jhott66
Intermediate

the 5-spd in the 987 is a Getrag 'box.
the 6spd is made by Aisin.
Old 01-15-2006 | 08:47 PM
dhartger
Intermediate

In some of the pictures I have seen of the Porsche assembly line it looks like there are very few German workers on the line. By in large Germans don’t work very much, it is way too profitable to be un-employed. Even the folks who are employed don’t spend much time on the job.
Old 01-15-2006 | 09:09 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Well, everyone, just because these people in the pictures lack blond hair and blue eyes doesn't mean they are not German. Many of them are the children of Turkish or Greek or Yugoslavian or other immigrants, but they were born in Germany and are as German as I am. Others are - in fact - individuals who immigrated during their own liftetime. In my opinion, these are the people who are still running the show in Germany; many others who already grew up spoiled are not willing to do many of these jobs and - as somebody mentioned before - prefer falling back on the social security system or on jobs that have their wages inflated by union pressure.

In either case, however, what is commonly referred to as "German quality" has very little to do with the nationality of the workers, but with the rigorous training these people have to go through before they ever get to touch our cars. What makes German engineering and other products so expensive is the apprenticeship system. Even a wall painter or a hair stylist have to go through a 4-5 year training before they are certified to work independently on a customer (or an engine). And, yes, I said YEARS, not months.
Old 01-15-2006 | 09:27 PM
dhartger
Intermediate

Soulteacher,

Agreed. But I was not certain if it was possible to attain German citizenship without having a German ancestry. I know that one cannot apply for and become a German, it involves birth etc. but I’m not sure about the details.

The apprenticeship system is something sorely lacking here in the U.S. although it does not lend itself to rapid technological progress it has its place.

Dan
Old 01-15-2006 | 10:13 PM
Cogito
Racer

MMD, you bought a German wife??
WOW!!

Guys, you don't really think Germans assemble our P-cars do you? I read that no self-respecting German would "lower" himself to work on "the line". They import Arabs and Turks for that.
Old 01-16-2006 | 12:33 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Dan, you are absolutely right, it's more complicated to obtain citizenship in Germany than it is in the United States. Being born in Germany does not automatically mean you are a German citizen (one parent has to be German). And the apprenticeship system... its downside is that it makes labor really expensive.

Dweiser, if only German firms were allowed to hire more foreigners from outside western Europe. It's really difficult because of labor legislation. Things may ease up a little bit eventually once the EU free movement of labor is extended to the 10 new member nations, many of which are from eastern Europe (including Poland); if and when that takes place, it will provide Germany with a less expensive labor force for some occupations, making them more competitive in the global market again. Will it affect the quality of Porsche cars? I really don't think so.

Quick Reply: My transmission was made in Japan