997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello and a question re the seat belt chime

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006 | 12:29 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

The seat belt issue is pretty annoying...........It should shut off after a couple minutes at least...
Old 01-09-2006 | 12:45 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I never hear the chime...since I just buckle-up as a matter of habit.

If you don't like to hear the chime you could just buckle the bel, then sit on it and consider yourself smarter since you beat the system as you drive down the road
Old 01-09-2006 | 01:07 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Originally Posted by riad
You should also disable the airbags.
oh no here we go again. lol
if the airbag constantly chimed there were be plenty of threads on it as well. however, the airbag does not make annoying sounds.
bottom line is its because of our sue happy attitude. thats why we have to see all the warnings stickers on sun visors, accept warnings on nav screen each time, traction control electronics default to on, etc....
im surprised some of you dont argue that we shouldnt have a chioce whether to turn off the traction control, psm, sport mode, etc because u know wed be much safer and less likely to hurt ourselves that way lol
Old 01-09-2006 | 01:34 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

"this is the most stupid thread i have ever seen.......wear the belt jackass"

thanks for the well thought out response. If you read my post, I said that I DO wear my belt. But you had to be a wise-***. Hope you get the same quality response when you have a question.
Old 01-09-2006 | 01:39 PM
OCBen
Banned

The fact remains that it is an annoying feature, this seatbelt warning bell. It wasn’t this way on the 996/986s. A more intelligent system that would assume some intelligence on the part of the driver (beyond being able to turn on the car and put it in gear) could have the alarm quit after 5 secs of gonging, after which it could be assumed that the driver is not hard of hearing and not visually impaired (not being able to see the warning light – heck, if the driver’s blind he has a way bigger problem than not having his seat belt on), and is therefore making a conscientious decision not to wear the belt, which is his free choice to make. We’ve already discussed those occasions where you need to move the car a few feet down the driveway or move it in a parking lot and not have that darn alarm go off like an idiot device.

Has anyone looked into the possibility that maybe our government (DOT) has mandated in ‘05 that the seat belt alarm operate as such? I wouldn’t think so, otherwise we would have heard reports that other cars’ alarms operated the same way now.
Old 01-09-2006 | 02:12 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

In reading the posts it seems that there are four respone-types: (1) Those who don't bother with a response; (2) Those who respond and have the opinion that it is up to the individual and the question (how to disable) is a legitimate one; (3) those who want the damn chime OFF; and (4) those who echo the same arrogant presumptions I hear about motorcycle helmets – namely, “you have to put up with the chime because we have decided what is best for you.”

Those in (4) presume that because one is annoyed at the chime that one eschews the seatbelt. Wake up and read the posts. Many want the chime disabled. Period! That wish does not go hand-in-hand with not wearing seat belts. Man, what is the real reason for the vitriol directed at those who want the chime disabled?

BTW, as a former road racer and regular track day attendee, I do wear a helmet. I don't, however, make the leap to presume that everyone should wear a helmet always; only that it is dangerous to not wear one.
Old 01-09-2006 | 02:49 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Raptor
In reading the posts it seems that there are four respone-types: (1) Those who don't bother with a response; (2) Those who respond and have the opinion that it is up to the individual and the question (how to disable) is a legitimate one; (3) those who want the damn chime OFF; and (4) those who echo the same arrogant presumptions I hear about motorcycle helmets – namely, “you have to put up with the chime because we have decided what is best for you.”

Those in (4) presume that because one is annoyed at the chime that one eschews the seatbelt. Wake up and read the posts. Many want the chime disabled. Period! That wish does not go hand-in-hand with not wearing seat belts. Man, what is the real reason for the vitriol directed at those who want the chime disabled?

BTW, as a former road racer and regular track day attendee, I do wear a helmet. I don't, however, make the leap to presume that everyone should wear a helmet always; only that it is dangerous to not wear one.
Because when some dim wit puts themselves through the windshield, he/she wont always die (which would be the desired outcome especially if that person hasn't had the chance to reproduce yet) the resulting injuries will require hefty medical bills, which increases health care cost, which I pay for.

So if you're going to ride around without your seat belt, just make sure you wear a DNR tag around your neck, thanks.
Old 01-09-2006 | 03:07 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

You should also disable the airbags.
Nice Rob.
I had my airbags disabled because I'm always afraid that if it goes off I'll get burned by my coffee or lose my call.
Old 01-09-2006 | 03:17 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

From your comments, one would assume that you never speed and always wear a helmet and a shoulder harness when you drive your great looking 4S on those nasty NY-winter roads. BTW, that age-old argument about health care costs is devoid of actuarial support. Same old crap that for years has been foisted on an ignorant and emotional public about motorcycles. General theme is "I know best how you should lead your life because I'm so qualified."
Old 01-09-2006 | 03:19 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Raptor
From your comments, one would assume that you never speed and always wear a helmet and a shoulder harness when you drive your great looking 4S on those nasty NY-winter roads. BTW, that age-old argument about health care costs is devoid of actuarial support. Same old crap that for years has been foisted on an ignorant and emotional public about motorcycles. General theme is "I know best how you should lead your life because I'm so qualified."
Well thanks for chiming in.
Old 01-09-2006 | 03:23 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Because when some dim wit puts themselves through the windshield, he/she wont always die (which would be the desired outcome especially if that person hasn't had the chance to reproduce yet) the resulting injuries will require hefty medical bills, which increases health care cost, which I pay for.

So if you're going to ride around without your seat belt, just make sure you wear a DNR tag around your neck, thanks.
that arguement comes up frequently too. you would then have to ban smoking alltogether. also, heart conditons cause more deaths and hospital bills than auto accidents. so then youd have to ban overweight people from eating at mcdonalds. lets see, what ese should we let the govt control in our daily lives...
Old 01-09-2006 | 03:23 PM
texas911
Race Car

Those in (4) presume that because one is annoyed at the chime that one eschews the seatbelt.

Well DUH! If you buckle up then you don't hear the chime. And actually, the chime goes on if you don't have your belt buckled when you start up but then shuts off in a few seconds IF you are not moving. Then if you do start moving, it will chime only after you drive for a few seconds. So basically the guys who are "annoyed" by this are driving around without their seatbelts. Again, how freaking hard is it to take the half second to buckle up.

You can't teach stupid people anyway. Just like you can't convince people to stop smoking.

BTW Raptor you forgot number (5) the self centered egomaniac that thinks he's the center of the universe and NO ONE can tell him what to do.
Old 01-09-2006 | 03:30 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
that arguement comes up frequently too. you would then have to ban smoking alltogether. also, heart conditons cause more deaths and hospital bills than auto accidents. so then youd have to ban overweight people from eating at mcdonalds. lets see, what ese should we let the govt control in our daily lives...
Like I said, don't forget that DNR necklace Dr.
Old 01-09-2006 | 03:35 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Like I said, don't forget that DNR necklace Dr.
lol.
yea thats how things work in health care. if it were only that easy.
i guess if u have an accident and were over the speed limit, they should be a DNR too. cuz u know only stupid people drive over speed limits. haha.
Old 01-09-2006 | 03:44 PM
P997C2S
Advanced

AFAIK no one here is advocating driving without a seat belt. Anyone who doesn't want to wear a seatbelt will simply buckle it up and sit on it or stick a seat buckle end into it.

I don't need an annoying .gov chime to remind me to wear my seatbelt. If I move my car into the garage from the driveway or simply start the engine it serves no useful purpose.

Quick Reply: Hello and a question re the seat belt chime