Sponsored by:

Cool License Frames

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 10:23 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
What if some nut case you "offended" decides to even the score with you and has access to the license plate database and can put a name and address to that plate?

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
(Btw, congrats on the upgrade, Boo.)

Good point. ... Here in Kahlifohnia (sorry, just heard Ahnold's State of the State Address) it's impossible to access that database. The law was passed after a young actress, Rebecca Shaeffer, was gunned down by a crazed stalker who found her address by accessing the DMV database. Thanks to this law it's much easier to get access into Fort Knox than it is to hack into that database.

Last edited by OCBen; 01-06-2006 at 01:32 AM. Reason: corrected link
Old 02-03-2006, 03:27 AM
aaoun
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

i don't know ben. i know PLENTY of people that can access that database like they're turning on the TV.

plus, i think another advantage of blurring the plate is merely in case your insurance company or porsche themselves want to look at these boards and use them in a case (e.g., void warranty for racing/moficiations, etc). simple precaution

m.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:50 AM
raffi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

regarding frames:
either get a plain one and paint it the same as your exterior color or if you are in los angeles pick up one of the lapd or chp ones (the sheriff ones are garbage), or get the one representing law enforcement in your area.
if you must put a frame at least let it serve a purpose or look really good.
The question on my mind is the front license plate...
I have been thinking about printing my plate on a vinyl sticker and putting it on the front bumper, avoiding holes, making it look more aerodynamic and avoiding tickets at the same time.
Although, (i doubt this will happen but) if the cop notices that it is a sticker I will probably face a big penalty since you are not supposed to tamper with your plates...
what do you guys think about this?
Old 02-03-2006, 10:51 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by maoun
i don't know ben. i know PLENTY of people that can access that database like they're turning on the TV.
Do you know them personally? Or are you speaking generally of DMV employees? And what makes you think any DMV employee can access that database? Seems like a no-brainer for a secured system to have safeguards in place to prevent a friend of an employee from gaining access through him. That's an obvious loophole to close, along with many others. I'm sure as a minimum only those who have a security clearance and a need to know can access it, and every inquiry into the database logged and monitored. Otherwise, it can't really be secure, can it?
plus, i think another advantage of blurring the plate is merely in case your insurance company or porsche themselves want to look at these boards and use them in a case (e.g., void warranty for racing/moficiations, etc). simple precaution

m.
Sounds a bit like paranoia to me. But to each his own.

I have nothing to hide myself. I don't engage in illegal activity, nor do I intend to make modifications that will void any kind of warranty whatsoever.

I think, if anything, by blurring your plate you're raising a red flag and raising suspicions about yourself and your activities, and you may be drawing the attention of the very ones you're trying to hide from. And so they may monitor your posts and watch you closely to see when you'll slip up!
Old 02-03-2006, 12:20 PM
rmklaw
Instructor

The best and proven way to difuse the front license plate is not to have it nor the frame. Looks clean and is worth a potential ticket.

Last edited by rmklaw; 02-03-2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:10 PM
aaoun
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

OCBen,

I recently had 2 vehicles stolen. One appeared in several magazines...so I'm definitely being a little paranoid :-)

As for the DMV database, keep in mind that it has to link up to MANY agencies (DA's office, every police department...sheriff,LAPD,CHP,state officers, etc). The second you open a system this much, especially over the Internet, you're asking for loopholes. I work in the tech industry, and have seen people access the DB over the net several times. It's too cost inefficient to try securing it very well....unfortunately. Hence why DA's and officers get their information unlisted in it (driver's licenses w/o addresses, etc)

just my 2 cents
m.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:13 PM
OCBen
Banned

I recently had 2 vehicles stolen. One appeared in several magazines...so I'm definitely being a little paranoid :-)
Yeah, I suppose I might feel differently if something like that happened to me.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:14 PM
rmklaw
Instructor

Not having the front plate or holes is worth the minor inconvenience

Quick Reply: Cool License Frames