Sponsored by:

Update on bad paint and Bondo on my new car

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 06:39 PM
1whobuys
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on bad paint and Bondo on my new car

I posted this elsewhere and thought I'd share it here also...

Well, after being screwed around for 7 months by PCNA, I took my car to their recommended Body Shop for a look-see at my paint and hard top.

I came away with confirmation that there is Bondo in the top and that it has been redone.
I also came away with the fact that the paint on the entire car is full of dirt, pinholes, lifting, orange peel, sanding scratches and clouding.
The factory tried to cover it up with a high speed buffer and burned the paint in several places.

The verdict....The whole car will need to be repainted and the top is still yet to be determined.

Bottom line....The estimate to "FIX" my new car and make it like new starts at $6100 and could go as high as $9600 if the skin on the hard top is damaged under the "Bondo"

I'm still fighting with PCNA over this car...
They still think it's OK to just repaint the car under warranty.
They don't seem to find a "BIG" problem with selling a car that has prior hidden damage.
Even if that damage is close to $10,000.00

What a great Company...
Old 01-01-2006, 07:04 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I would make them take that car back and give me another one.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Exactly how do you make them give someone a new car?

Ever dealt with PCNA Legal? It makes having a root canal without novacaine done by an epileptic dentist who just found out you've been sleeping with his wife AND daughter seem like fun.......trust me.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Did you buy the car new from a dealer? If so, you have rights, and I'd raise hell about it with both the dealer, your states Attorney General's office, and the BBB. The car should be replaced.

Cars are sometimes damaged at port, and are fixed there, but there is a record of it with PCNA and your dealer and they are supposed to notify you. Was it late being delivered?

Did you buy from a previous owner who may have damaged it?

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

In California it's actually not that difficult to get a dealer/manufacturer "give you a new car" if you have a legimate, verifiable beef. While there're two sides to every story, if a Porsche dealer sold the original poster a car with a paint-job as he describes it, the California "Lemon Law" would solve his problems pronto.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:54 PM
1whobuys
Advanced

I bought it brand new...I ordered it while I was in Iraq on Dec. 16th 04, it was delivered to the dealer on April 29, 05.
I picked it up the day I got home...May 28th

PCNA will not tell me if it was damaged before it hit the dealer.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 568 Posts

Is this your first Porsche? If you have been a customer for some time previously, I would make sure that PCNA "knows" that and emphasize that you would like to continue to be a loyal customer, However, what you bargained for "in good faith" is not what you receiving.

It boils down to a contract - good faith/bad faith. Have you talked to an attorney? I would. You may find some interesting angles to pursue. I assume that you want this made right and the current condition of the car is not what comes out of the factory new.

Just keep your cool about this. I know the frustration, but you have to keep your eye on the ball. Keep in mind what you want as the end result and work hard to make that happen.

Good luck!
Old 01-01-2006, 11:08 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I would suggest reading the 'warranty book' that PCNA provides with each new Porsche; specifically for your particular state.
That will tell you what rights you have (or which rights you don't have) regarding dispute resolution process.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:59 PM
frayed
Race Car

I am usually level headed and try to be reasoned about folks' whining on web boards, particularly after moderating BMW boards for years. However, after reading your post I'm phocking outraged!

The famous BMW paint case, food for thought:

http://www.gtla.org/public/cases/bmw.html

I can't believe others in this thread aren't pissed. Really. I'm shocked and the original poster has been defrauded.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:01 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by ltc
I would suggest reading the 'warranty book' that PCNA provides with each new Porsche; specifically for your particular state.
That will tell you what rights you have (or which rights you don't have) regarding dispute resolution process.
This issue has nothing to do with the car's warranty; it has everything to do with the dealer and/or PCNA defrauding a customer. . . well outside the scope of warranty.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:03 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff, you are 100% correct
Old 01-02-2006, 12:40 AM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

My initial reaction would be been to drop the keys on my saleman's desk, walk out, and call a hard nosed, great reputation lawyer. A "perfect" letter from a top lawyer/law firm may do the trick. Porsche will not want litigation over something like this. if they do, I would fight it.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:51 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by frayed
This issue has nothing to do with the car's warranty; it has everything to do with the dealer and/or PCNA defrauding a customer. . . well outside the scope of warranty.
I would respectfully disagree.
Since it is unknown when/where the repaint/damage occured, who is liable?
Did the customer sign for delivery of the car?
Did the customer accept delivery of the car?
Under the terms of the warranty, the manufacturer (or its agent) has every opportunity to correct a 'defect'.
If it is not to the owner's satisfaction, then the aforementioned warranty book describes the remedies that the owner implicitly agreed to upon purchase and delivery of his vehicle.
Why the warranty book? Because the current owner is attempting to have the vehicle 'repaired' at the expense of the dealer/manufacturer/agent.
Furthermore, a letter from a top lawyer/law firm would likely to nothing in so far as PCNA Legal is concerned. Try dealing with PCNA legal sometimes.
They have so many cases pending with current Porsche customers, I don't think vehicle buyback is in their current vocabulary.
And in conclusion, if you did pursue this via the court system, you might find yourself in front of an unsympathetic jury. It's sometimes difficult to not assume that 12 jurors will feel sympathy for someone they perceive to be a 'rich guy whining about a car' that very few of the jurors would likely ever own.

I was in no way 'defrauding' the original poster, as I do share in his frustration.
My apologies if it came across in any other fashion.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:52 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jcf7
My initial reaction would be been to drop the keys on my saleman's desk, walk out, and call a hard nosed, great reputation lawyer. A "perfect" letter from a top lawyer/law firm may do the trick. Porsche will not want litigation over something like this. if they do, I would fight it.
As I mentioned (from experience), trust me, they don't care about litigation over something like this.
If you fight it, they will fight it in return. It will likely devolve into a game of diminishing financial return for the current owner/customer.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:59 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. You should lucky if they willing to re-print the car for you. If I were you, I will sattle with that.

Quick Reply: Update on bad paint and Bondo on my new car