Sponsored by:

Update on bad paint and Bondo on my new car

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 08:43 PM
rmklaw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failure to disclose

What many dealers and manufacturers seem to ignore is that a failure to disclose, whether intentional or negligent, is actionable and cannot be remedied by offering to handle under a warranty claim. I would tender the car to the dealer and void the transaction if there was misreprecentation. Legally is called "fraud in the inducement," making a contract voidable.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:45 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

On a similar note Infinity is on the verge of replicating BMW with their sports sedans. Pretty cool for us consumers.

In 2007 Nissan will be releasing its Skyline performance car to the US probably under the Infinit badge. The car will supposedly offer over 400 HP and be built on the G35 platform. So there's no question that Infiniti is going right after BMW. They offer the G35 to compete with the 3 series, the M35/45 to compete with the 5 series, and the Skyline will compete with the M3.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:43 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where do you live? I like the TV or radio station idea along with the BBB and A.G.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

I think these guys owe you a brand new car,...Bondo on the roof? What the hell happened to your car before you got it?????? Did it come over on the SS Poseidon on New Year's Eve?
Old 01-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

I recently drove a 2005 NSX and fell in love with it. If it had 325-355 HP my 997 would only see taillights from the NSX.

PS: Didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:23 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

This is truly unacceptable and in your shoes I'd probably seek counsel...just my $.02
Old 01-03-2006, 03:44 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Harris
I recently drove a 2005 NSX and fell in love with it. If it had 325-355 HP my 997 would only see taillights from the NSX.

PS: Didn't mean to hijack the thread.
The next version of the NSX will be a car to covet.

As for this thread here, I personally don't believe that this has happened and suspect the original poster of trying to generate trouble. I may be wrong, but something doesn't smell right to me.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:42 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni

As for this thread here, I personally don't believe that this has happened and suspect the original poster of trying to generate trouble. I may be wrong, but something doesn't smell right to me.

I agree that it doesn't make much sense to me either, but there are some unscrupulous people in the car business so I guess anything is possible.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:57 PM
1whobuys
Advanced

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni

Paul,
Before you call me a liar please explain who I'm tring to generate trouble for.
I haven't named a Dealer or listed who at PCNA I am talking with.
I also did not name the Body Shop that Porsche recommended for repairs that trashed the car, pointed out the bondo and said it needs to be redone.

So, Paul I'm asking you now what does a seasonal hourly worker that spent a year in Iraq to buy his $121,000.00 dream car have to gain by making up a story like this?

I hold in my hand a starting estimate to fix the car at $6082.17 and that doen't include any hidden damage to the hard top under the bondo.
If there is hidden damage ie. a dent or crease in the sheet metal that will add another $3500 to fix the car.
Now Paul add to that the flatbed towing to the Bodyshop (167 miles @ way) and back, the R&R of the 3M clear bra, the rear window that has ding marks in it, the $1500.00 shopping spree PCNA offered me for my trouble and a loaner car while it is being repainted and tell me which part I made up.

Next you'll be telling me the little chips in the back glass are because I'm driving to fast in reverse.

Give me a break...

My mistake was that I flew 8000 miles from Baghdad to Dubai to London to Chicago to home in 18 hours and picked the car up at 5:30 pm on a very cloudy day.
I did point out the glass and what looked like light scrathes on the rear that I was told would be fixed right away.
I took the car, had a flat tire, it sat on my driveway for two days.(Memorial Day)
I aired it up and back to the Dealer on Tuesday, had to buy a new tire because of a screw next to the sidewall.
Waited two days to get the tire shipped in and took off on a trip to Atlanta Ga. the next day.
I drove 600 miles in the rain going and waited until I was back home to clean up my "Baby".
That is when I started finding the big damage, 1st it was swirlmarks, then sanding marks and dirt in the paint, etc, etc...

I went straight to the Dealer and they said it was a factory deal..I waited two months for the PCNA Service Rep., he looked at it and stated the car should have never been delivered.
Then another month before they sent me a letter stating they would pick the car up and take it to their prefered Body Shop, have it repainted and delivered back to me.
AND...for my trouble I would get a $1500.00 coupon for a 1 time Tequipment purchase!

So...now I have a car that is going to cost right at $12,000.00 plus a loaner car to get "Fixed!"

From the very begining I asked for an assisted trade from Porsche, they took a hard line on it and are insisting that the car be repainted.
Why...I think it's a test case for them.
They have a Bodyshop that does great work and this car would put it to the ultimate test.
I have told them after they replsce my car they car test it all they want...
I don't want a $121K car that has been repainted.

Sorry to everyone else for the rant, but I am not a liar Paul!!!!
Old 01-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1whobuys
Sorry to everyone else for the rant, but I am not a liar Paul!!!!
Okay, okay....it sounds like you're not spinning a tale. I just find it unbelievable that Porsche would knowingly do this to anyone. They've already treated you like ****, but if they don't come through with a new car for you I have no hope for Porsche as a company.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Seamus H
AutoX

I would not accept a repainted car. After 4 years and 50,000 miles without a scratch or ding I had a real estate broker back her SUV into my parked 996, damaging the front bumper. With her insurance firm paying I went to one of the best paint shops in the Bay Area (they had a new Bentley Continental GT, and 1950s Bentley S2 drop head, a couple of Ferraris and other assotred exotica alongside my car). They matched the color (AC) perfectly on the new front bumper and there were no blemishes of anykind on the paint. After a couple of thousand miles I noticed that the new front bumper was much more prone to paint chipping that the factory painted one. This experience cured me of any desire to fit an aftermarket front bumper on any future car.

Most people would probably not notice the repaint, but you will know and the trained eye and hard will identify the repaint. Despite want the dealer may tell you there will be paint longevity and chipping issues.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:13 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Seamus H
I would not accept a repainted car. .......
........After a couple of thousand miles I noticed that the new front bumper was much more prone to paint chipping that the factory painted one. This experience cured me of any desire to fit an aftermarket front bumper on any future car.

Most people would probably not notice the repaint, but you will know and the trained eye and hard will identify the repaint. Despite want the dealer may tell you there will be paint longevity and chipping issues.
You cannot compare a car painted by Germans in a German Prosche plant to a paint job from any body shop in the USA.

I just don't understand why he didn't get lawyers on this right away. It's a case worth fighting all the way to court.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:16 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Exactly how do you make them give someone a new car?

Ever dealt with PCNA Legal? It makes having a root canal without novacaine done by an epileptic dentist who just found out you've been sleeping with his wife AND daughter seem like fun.......trust me.
Holy crap! He found out? Dude, you're toast.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

1who....

First, a big thank-you for serving our country (if I read that correctly).

Second, you need to find a local attorney with clout, spill the story to them (won't cost you a nickel) and let them tell you your options.

Third, is the DSM still the one for your region? Get their contact info and get back to THEM. The dealer dropped the ball on this one, and the DSM is as much at fault as anyone. If the DSM says it should never have been delivered, get that in writing. If not, get them on the phone, in person or any other way, and get this on the table.

Last, stir the local media. If necessary. I would not go there until all else fails (which sounds like it is close). Definitely get this in writing with the BBB in your area.

Then I'd hire the attorney with the most clout who will take this and beat this until it's right.

Best of luck, you deserve better.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-03-2006, 06:17 PM
rmklaw
Instructor

1whobuys:
Do yourself a favor and before proceeding to do anything related to the car with the dealer or Porsche, talk to an attorney familiar with the consumer protection laws and unfair trade practices act. You cannot afford to make a $110,000 mistake.

Quick Reply: Update on bad paint and Bondo on my new car