Sobe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive careful over the holidays

Old 12-27-2005, 11:14 AM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Wow that is scary, do you know the details of the accident?
Old 12-27-2005, 02:00 PM
MMD
Banned

Aw Cr*p! That's terrible. You never think of them crashing, I just worry about dings in the doors and rock chips.

As for "having a few" and then driving this New Year's? I will NOT have even ONE drink and get behind the wheel. It's a damn witch hunt around here. If they stop you and don't like how you look (i.e. you're driving a Porsche) AND smell alcohol you're screwed.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:22 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MMD
Aw Cr*p! That's terrible. You never think of them crashing, I just worry about dings in the doors and rock chips.

As for "having a few" and then driving this New Year's? I will NOT have even ONE drink and get behind the wheel. It's a damn witch hunt around here. If they stop you and don't like how you look (i.e. you're driving a Porsche) AND smell alcohol you're screwed.
Thats a GOOD thing. Otherwise too many people would die driving home.

So - where did you get the picture and what happened??
Old 12-27-2005, 02:47 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by crispenigl
Thats a GOOD thing. Otherwise too many people would die driving home.
Agreed. The sad thing is the ZEAL with which laws are enforced. My friends think one drink is okay. Until you get a cop who thinks otherwise. Better to make blood alcohol limit 0.0 (i.e. ANY alcohol in blood while driving is a crime). UGH, what a sad picture!
Old 12-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

In the early part of my career, and while working for my first degree, I worked traffic for three years+ in a small police department. I can't remember the number of taxis I had the dispatcher call for slightly intoxicated residents. On occasion I have even had the inebriated driver park his/her car, give me the keys and had then walk home. This practice became very old, very fast...not to mention the liability it created.
A memo eventually came down from administration dictating these "public service" practices would cease IMMEDIATELY. I all came to a head when a fellow officer stopped a drunk driver, then had the drunk park his car legally and walk home. About a half mile down the street the drunk staggered into traffic, was run over and killed.
Today such latitude is unheard of. It doesn't happen anymore.
If you are arrested for DUI in California you had better have a fat checkbook and an alternate way to work, and plans for a long-term babysitter.
Personally I don't drink anymore, as I am an alcoholic who has been "on the wagon" over 14 years.
If each of you could have witnessed the fatal TCs I have worked the ultimate plan would be more clear. Don't drink and drive, its just not worth it.
I'm not trying to be a preacher so you all do what you want. I just don't want to be the one delivering the death message to your loved ones.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:30 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good reminder there Larry, thanks!!
Old 12-28-2005, 01:29 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that the result of a "Type 2" over rev?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:30 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

No drinking and driving. Shockingly all the Bar applications ask you more about DUI and alcohol related offenses then misdemeanors. Why? Because it is such a pervasive problem. Don't do it. You can kill yourself all you like, but exposing other people to your reckless disabandon is not cool.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:11 PM
MMD
Banned

Since alcohol effects everybody differently, if an individual's blood alcohol is slightly above the legal limit he still MAY BE a safe driver. The opposite might be true. Each individual would have to be tested individually to determine the safe limit for HIM/HER. Maybe stamp that value on your license!

My point? Don't even play the game! I refuse to drink and drive because I don't want to get sucked into a dipsh*t DUI/DWI system. One that isn't applied fairly and resembles more of a witchhunt than anything else.

I don't believe a person with a LITERALLY only a couple drinks in him/her should be arrested and thrown in the slammer because his response time has degraded to become equal to that of a 70 year old woman with a license. That's what airbags and speedlimits are for.

Of course of your frickin plastered you're an a**hole to be driving and should be stopped.

Quick Reply: Drive careful over the holidays