Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra: Maintainance

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005 | 10:51 AM
humbug
Advanced

Default Clear Bra: Maintainance

How to care for your clear bras? Can you wax them? Any special care? Is there any problems applying a clear bra if your car was treated with a telfon clear coat protectant? Any sense applying a clear bra to a leased car? Random thoughts. Thanks, patiently waiting for my C4S!
Old 12-26-2005 | 12:33 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Yes, just wax them when you wax the rest of the car. I don't know that there is any special care for clear bras. I don't think they should be applied over any wax or polymer protectant, but I'm not sure about teflon because I've never seen teflon specifically mentioned. It would make sense to apply it on a leased car if you want to avoid chips showing while you have it. I know very little about leasing, but a lease contract might include a clause relating your final cost to their costs for necessary repairs to the car for resale. I plan to clear bra my car when it arrives, but don't know what I'd do if I leased the car and didn't plan to track it. I just touched up paint chips on my previous car which I bought used, but it was white, so easier to touch up and look right than the metallics are.
Old 12-26-2005 | 01:17 PM
mss8022
Track Day

Some elements of the maintenance vary depending on what brand of clear bra you buy.

I own one car with a 3M bra and have been told to use wax or polish (Zaino for example) or whatever product I use to maintain the car in general. Because the 3M product has a clear coat on it, 3M says that you can use isopropyl alcohol on it to take out scratches.

My 911 has a Venture clear bra. I was told only to wax it (and to not use polishes like Zaino) and not use alcohol to take out scratches since it does not have a clear coat.

I would check with my installer and the manufacturer's web site for your particular brand.

By the way, I think that the Venture bra looks a lot nicer on the car. Much clearer and seems to stay nicer.
Old 12-27-2005 | 01:01 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I too own the 3m product - and after some wax on it WoW!!!
Old 12-27-2005 | 06:52 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Pretend its not even on. Just wash and wax the whole car as usual. I've gone 3 years with 3M film on my daily car and its great. No problems at all. Hasn't turned yellow, or faded, or gotten cloudy.
Old 12-28-2005 | 02:13 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

My installer said to wax the film along with the car.

If you are using a wax that leaves a residue, you might wish to use some narrow low-tack tape on the film edges, because the wax tends to accumulate there in an annoyingly visible way.
Old 12-30-2005 | 02:29 AM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Most installers fail to inform their customers of how wax lines are formed. Treat the film as a separate panel and wax the covered and uncovered portions separately. It's waxing over the seam and leaving it to bake in the sun that makes it difficult to remove later.
Spectra PhotoSync IRD - Highest heat blocking window film in industry
Authorized Modesta and Nanolex Dealer

Checkout our Youtube Channel!
Premier's Youtube

B: 510-623-1308
42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA 94538
sales@premiermobilegroup.com
http://www.facebook.com/premierprotectivefilms

Old 12-30-2005 | 05:23 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Humbug: For cleaning a product I use with great results is Plexus Aircraft Plastic Cleaner. Developed for use in aviation for cleaning and protecting aircraft windshields and painted surfaces. Its quite simply the most effective product you can buy for cleaning, polishing and protecting all clear and colored plastics and painted surfaces. Link. (No afiliation)

Best!
Old 12-31-2005 | 12:11 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Q-tip with some meguiars quick detailer removes the wax buildup along the edges very easily. My daily car is black so the edges are always visible if there is wax or dirt. Cleaning the edges in this way takes care of that problem.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra: Maintainance