Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forget invoice.. what does it cost Porsche to build a 997?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 03:36 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Forget invoice.. what does it cost Porsche to build a 997?

Porsche has managed to make the $100k 911 commonplace. Does anybody know what it costs them to build one (in US $)?

Given that they know how many units they plan to produce, and given that they are a sophisticated company that probably allocates their indirect costs by model, there should be some info on the final cost per unit including overhead.

Anybody know?
Old 12-23-2005, 09:03 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only Porsche knows and they ain't telling.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:27 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world, so my guess would be that their profit margin on each car is around 20%. This is an extraordinay accomplishment considering the relatively small number of cars they manufacture each year.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:34 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure, but I think it costs them about $983 and the rest is pure profit.

Old 12-23-2005, 10:36 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

PCNA invoice to dealer spread runs around 15%.
If you have a car on order, and you ask nicely, an invoice cost pro-forma can be generated thru eDCS.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:41 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say 20% is low.
Let's face it.
Parts are parts. Even though a Porsche is a Porsche and a Chevy is a Chevy, plastic is plastic, metal is metal, how much more expensive is a wheel, a piece of dash plastic, or seat rails, or plastic housing for front light assemblies etc etc etc on a Porsche vs a Chevy - not much difference really. Most parts for all cars are made by about 5 worldwide manufacturers and they make parts for ALL cars.

The point is that every car is made up from a bunch of parts put together. Most cars have the same components, basically 4 wheels and a steering wheel. So if Chrysler can build a 300C and sell it for $30,000 and still make a profit, figure that if you break down all the parts Porsche puts into a 997 it costs Porsche probably about $25,000 to build a 997.

Most money is spent on R&D and marketing.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:53 AM
GT3BB
Racer

Parts may be parts alright, but when Porsche puts them together, they sure don't look like a Chevy.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:35 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
I would say 20% is low.
Let's face it.
Parts are parts. Even though a Porsche is a Porsche and a Chevy is a Chevy, plastic is plastic, metal is metal, how much more expensive is a wheel, a piece of dash plastic, or seat rails, or plastic housing for front light assemblies etc etc etc on a Porsche vs a Chevy - not much difference really. Most parts for all cars are made by about 5 worldwide manufacturers and they make parts for ALL cars.

The point is that every car is made up from a bunch of parts put together. Most cars have the same components, basically 4 wheels and a steering wheel. So if Chrysler can build a 300C and sell it for $30,000 and still make a profit, figure that if you break down all the parts Porsche puts into a 997 it costs Porsche probably about $25,000 to build a 997.

It is true plastic is plastic and metal is metal, etc. But, If I told you to make a custom plastic square gear shift ****, you would need to design and engineer it first (hence, labor cost), then build a mold & machine it (equipment & tooling cost), and then actually produce the 'widget'. So, its more than the actual cost of plastic, if you consider the soup to nuts cost so to speak to bring it from idea to your hands. The total cost is then spread over all the anticipated quantities of the part.

You are right the prifit margins are ridiculous, but it 'is' more than just the actual cost of the final part.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:39 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

And then you have the testing, etc.

Me thinks Porsche spends more time engineering and testing their products (thus higher cost) then GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc...
Old 12-23-2005, 11:50 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by RR
I would say 20% is low.
Let's face it.

I'm talking about bottom line profit after all expenses are deducted. Keep in mind that Porsche has a considerable R&D budget that is spread over a relatively small number of cars. Also, Porsche doesn't have the extensive lineup that enables them to use the same patform for two models as do other car makers. The Lexus ES 330 is built on the same platform as the Toyota Camry, the Infiniti G35 shares its platform with the Nissan Z,the Audi TT uses the VW Jetta platform, etc.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:05 PM
sato
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MJones
PCNA invoice to dealer spread runs around 15%.
If you have a car on order, and you ask nicely, an invoice cost pro-forma can be generated thru eDCS.
Do you mean dealer invoice versus MSRP is 15%? If that is the case then let's assume Porsche manufacture cost to dealer invoice is twice that at 30%. Working backwards from a base 997 at MSRP of $71,300 (I can't imagine an S costs much more to produce), dealer invoice would be $62,000 and Porsche cost is around $48,000. Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if the true costs are considerably lower such that it costs Porsche half as much as MSRP to produce, therefore around $35,000 per car.

The question I have though, is the discounted US pricing due to Porsche's currency hedging the best place to start or should we work backwards from German Euro (excluding VAT) pricing? If my guestimates are right then in the extreme Porsche is charging at least 2x their cost in the US and at least 2.5x their cost ROW.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:10 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RR
Most parts for all cars are made by about 5 worldwide manufacturers and they make parts for ALL cars.
I would like to think that the parts used in my Porsche are of a higher quality and consistency than a Chevy's. You pay more for the stricter tolerances which result in parts that fit together better and last longer. Hopefully Porsche uses parts manufactured from better raw material too.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:10 PM
boolala
Race Car

Don't know about Porsche but MBs SL500 (the previous R129 generation) reportedly costs 45 K to produce and retailed for 90K. I would expect Porsche to make an even greater profit and thus cost less than half its MSRP.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:14 PM
fast1
Race Car

Porsche is charging at least 2x their cost in the US

That's a 50% margin. I read somewhere that the average car manufacturer's profit is in the single digits. My guess is that Porsche's profit is a lot closer to 20% than 50%, and even 20% is fantastic when compared to their competition.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:55 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
I would say 20% is low.
Let's face it.

I don't know the cost of a 911--I do know this. Crash a 911 and crash a 300 C. There's a lot more to a Porsche than plastic dash pieces, and the stuff you don't see is where a lot of Porsche's engineering and production costs are.

Quick Reply: Forget invoice.. what does it cost Porsche to build a 997?