Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much profit is enough?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 02:03 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want to locate a good deal on a new Porsche you will have to search outside the SF Bay Area. The local dealers are counting on people with more money than brains....Carlsen, Stevens Creek, etc.

Good luck and be patient

Old 12-24-2005, 07:46 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by yomike
2002 Targa, Black/ Gray, 43300 miles, placed in service 3/02, no damage or paint work - one door ding. Equipped with flared rocker panels, Bose, 6 disc changer,
18" wheels, heated/power seats, 6 speed, bi xenons. Kelly Blue Book on the car is $45,000+ wholesale and $51,000+ private market value. Again, they said they would offer $38000 as a trade in on a Cayman S at almost $64,000 (MSRP).
You probably evaluated your car as excellent and maybe the Dealer gave it a good rating which would knock down the price a couple of thousand. The demand for Targas in my area isn't strong, so maybe the Dealer is simply going to wholesale your car and that's what the base wholesale price is for your car. In any case it's easy enough to determine the wholesale value of your car. Simply take it to a couple of Dealers and ask them what they will pay you for your car. I don't think that you'll be happy with what they'll offer you. This is one of the reasons that it's a good idea to lease a Porsche. You don't have to worry about being rapped by the Dealer when you go to tradein your car.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:19 AM
searching4996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
You probably evaluated your car as excellent and maybe the Dealer gave it a good rating which would knock down the price a couple of thousand. The demand for Targas in my area isn't strong, so maybe the Dealer is simply going to wholesale your car and that's what the base wholesale price is for your car. In any case it's easy enough to determine the wholesale value of your car. Simply take it to a couple of Dealers and ask them what they will pay you for your car. I don't think that you'll be happy with what they'll offer you. This is one of the reasons that it's a good idea to lease a Porsche. You don't have to worry about being rapped by the Dealer when you go to tradein your car.

Sadly, trade-ins are the place where the dealer makes most of his money. Since most people do not want to go through the hassle of selling a car themselves, they typically offer 2-7 thousand less than what the car would get even at an auction. Your best bet is to put in on autotrader and ebayat an excellent price and sell the car yourself. I know it's a hassle, but I doubt you'll find a dealer out there who will offer you a fair price for your car. You could try consignment selling with some of the ebay guys as well, cost's a little but eliminates the work. Good Luck
Old 12-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by yomike
2002 Targa, Black/ Gray, 43300 miles, placed in service 3/02, no damage or paint work - one door ding. Equipped with flared rocker panels, Bose, 6 disc changer,
18" wheels, heated/power seats, 6 speed, bi xenons. Kelly Blue Book on the car is $45,000+ wholesale and $51,000+ private market value. Again, they said they would offer $38000 as a trade in on a Cayman S at almost $64,000 (MSRP).

Florida • December 24, 2005
2003 Porsche 911 Targa 2D

Engine: 6-Cyl. 3.6 Liter
Trans: 6 Speed Manual
Drive: RWD
Mileage: 43,300

Search Listings for This Car

List Your Car For Sale Online

Quick New Car Price Quote

Free CARFAX Record Check

Auto Loans from 5.39% APR

Insurance Quote

Payment Calculator

Equipment
Aero Kit
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Telescoping Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
Multi Compact Disc
Bose Premium Sound
Dual Front Air Bags
Front Side Air Bags
ABS (4-Wheel)
Leather
Dual Power Seats
Power Sun Roof
Rear Spoiler
Premium Wheels

Consumer Rated Condition: Good
"Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. This vehicle has a clean title history , the paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. There should be little or no rust on this vehicle. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail. Most consumer owned vehicles fall into this category.

Trade-In Value List Your Car For Sale Online $48,985
Trade-in Value is what consumers can expect to receive from a dealer for a trade-in vehicle assuming an accurate appraisal of condition. This value will likely be less than the Private Party Value because the reselling dealer incurs the cost of safety inspections, reconditioning and other costs of doing business

That is priced as in "GOOD" conditition. I even check it out as in "FAIR" condition, and the quote was $43,965 , AND just for sh*ts and giggles I prices it out as "POOR" .....-it came back with no Value.

"Excellent" valued on trade in was $51,750.

According to KBB, Retail (what they want to put it out on the lot for) was $66,600.

That number they gave you was total BS, and I wouldn't bite on it. And the fact they let you walk was they're not too motivated, for whatever reason, to give you a good deal on that Cab.

I'll stick to my original position. Go do business with someone who recognizes someone who's motivated to buy.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
If you want to locate a good deal on a new Porsche you will have to search outside the SF Bay Area. The local dealers are counting on people with more money than brains....Carlsen, Stevens Creek, etc.

Good luck and be patient

FlatSix911.......SICK avatar!! Me likey!!
Old 12-24-2005, 04:06 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

That is priced as in "GOOD" conditition. I even check it out as in "FAIR" condition, and the quote was $43,965 , AND just for sh*ts and giggles I prices it out as "POOR" .....-it came back with no Value.

CarMax has given me a few hundred dollars more than KBB excellent on the two cars that I've sold to them, but they were both Audis that listed in the mid $20s. I'm not sure if they would do the same for a $50K+ Porsche. I notice that CarMax always seems to have lots of Boxsters for sale. If there's a CarMax nearby, it wouldn't hurt to see what they would offer.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by fast1

CarMax has given me a few hundred dollars more than KBB excellent on the two cars that I've sold to them, but they were both Audis that listed in the mid $20s. I'm not sure if they would do the same for a $50K+ Porsche. I notice that CarMax always seems to have lots of Boxsters for sale. If there's a CarMax nearby, it wouldn't hurt to see what they would offer.
Yup. Unfortunately, Boxsters plunge in resale value. If I were him it'd look at carmax too. Ya never know really.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:43 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
No, those guys are too nice..... To get that bad of an offer he must of been trying to deal with CLAIRIDGES in Fremont! Home of the "We only sell for MSRP, and we will glady give you $10K below wholesale for you trade!

Actually I just noticed on the Porsche website it is now Porsche of Fremont,
I hope they changed the managment as well as the name.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:26 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FredGarvin
I'm just wondering what you do for a living and if you would mind discounting your services or product for $1500.00 knowing full well you and your product are worth more than you are asking?
Are you saying C4S Cab is is worth more than $113K?!

Please explain.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:26 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

finn-i think that the posts on the board come from a broad collection of people who have various backrounds and causes in life. most everyone who is in the market for a porsche understands that a 997 carries an almost 10k profit at full retail. taking into account trade-ins, past purchases and future repair service with the dealer, there is obviously room for discounting with the preservation of healthy dealer profit. that respondant is trying to compare discounting his services to that of a complex interaction like buying a porsche, which obviously has no relavence,
Old 12-26-2005, 05:57 PM
Chilipadi
Track Day

Originally Posted by docjackson1
finn-i think that the posts on the board come from a broad collection of people who have various backrounds and causes in life. most everyone who is in the market for a porsche understands that a 997 carries an almost 10k profit at full retail. taking into account trade-ins, past purchases and future repair service with the dealer, there is obviously room for discounting with the preservation of healthy dealer profit. that respondant is trying to compare discounting his services to that of a complex interaction like buying a porsche, which obviously has no relavence,
Exactly! I assume he always pays full retail for anything they buy. Incredible!
Old 12-26-2005, 06:07 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Looks like some dealers are "dealing"....

10% off MSRP....

2006 997 base
Old 12-26-2005, 08:12 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by docjackson1
I agree.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:23 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a physician and my "prices" are discounted all the time by insurance companies, HMOs and the federal and state government.

So what's this guy's problem again?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by boolala
I'm a physician and my "prices" are discounted all the time by insurance companies, HMOs and the federal and state government.

So what's this guy's problem again?

As someone who has insurance, all I can say about that is "I'm sorry". HMO's ect are pure evil in my book. But I digress...

He's taking a sort of emotional (as car purchases tend to be) questionary posture. His problem is that he's dealing with a sh*t bag dealership. That's what it is.

They're too stupid to understand a 'repeat' customer when they're on their front doorstep.

Quick Reply: How much profit is enough?