Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much profit is enough?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 03:38 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took delivery on my base 997 and I got $3K off a $84K MSRP in Bay Area. It was a order car and I think you can do better on the lot car. I can give you my sale person and dealer info. PM me and good luck.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:39 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

The car has an MSRP of $113K and doesn't have a CD Changer or Power Seats. I bought my Boxster from them over the summer so I was a previous customer but they let me walk rather than taking $1500 less profit.

I was already taking a huge hit on my trade in and I know they were just passing that part of the deal through. No profit or loss on their side

I never mix the purchase and tradein in one negotiation. My experience is that Boxsters depreciate quickly and it's even worse this time of year in the northeast. The wholesale value of your Boxster may be a lot less than you think. Take your car to a place like CarMax, and see what they will pay you for your car. It will probably be a lot less than you think. So the deal that your dealer is offering could be much better than you think.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:49 AM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fast1 - I wasn't trading the Boxster.

Thanks for all the advice. I've pretty much figured this dealer would rather hold on to a car in the hopes that an uneducated buyer will come along and pay full price. There are plenty of dealers in the area and I'll shop around.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:00 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by mrpc12
fast1 - I wasn't trading the Boxster.

Thanks for all the advice. I've pretty much figured this dealer would rather hold on to a car in the hopes that an uneducated buyer will come along and pay full price. There are plenty of dealers in the area and I'll shop around.
I took from what you posted as meaning that the Dealer was buying your car:I was already taking a huge hit on my trade in and I know they were just passing that part of the deal through. No profit or loss on their side. Since I misinterpreted this, I find it incredible that a Dealer would turn away from a deal when the differance is only $1500 on a $100K car. The Dealer probably has over $12K to play with. It just doesn't make sense to me.

If you really like the car, call the Dealer again on 12/30 and make the same offer. He'll more than likely accept.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:13 AM
GT3BB
Racer

Call him on New Years eve(last day of year and quarter), and he will probably double your requested discount.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:27 AM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

fast1 - That's my point. They have more than $10K profit on these cars right now but they would rather hold out for full profit rather than make a sale at a little less for a previous customer who was in the showroon ready to buy now.

I'm not going to call them. And I'm pretty sure they won't call me either. I'm just going to order one from someone else.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:41 AM
fast1
Race Car

I'm not going to call them. And I'm pretty sure they won't call me either. I'm just going to order one from someone else.

I'll be surprised if they don't call you again. Nevertheless, I understand your feelings. You made a reasonable offer, and they told you to take a hike.

I remember one time I was selling one of my Porsches at a price just a little above wholesale. Any way some guy drove the car and told me he wanted to buy the car, but he kept on making offers that were well below the wholesale price that the Dealer was going to pay me. So finally I got so pissed off, that I told the guy that the car wasn't for sale to him at any price.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:07 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's kind of how I feel. I almost don't want to buy from them even if they meet my price now.

I should have known better though. I didn't mention the fact that I tried to buy a 2005 Cayenne Turbo from them a couple of months ago. They offered a reasonable discount but I knew from other people posting on Rennlist that more was available. Well they wouldn't budge from their initial offer so I ended up with a Lexus LX470 because they were easier to do business with. That Cayenne Turbo is still sitting on their lot.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:30 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

try another dealer-as i told you, there are many different deals around. don't fixate on a bad deal-look for a better one.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:09 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Have you ever sold a home? In the bay area I have known of people selling a WW2 era bungalow, that cost 20K new, for over 750K. If you were the seller would you turn the money down? Your dealer, rightly or wrongly believes he can sell this car at the price he is asking, this may change as time marches on. It is up to you to forget the feelings aspect of your negotiations and to focus on the facts and to be ready if and when he responds later.
IT IS NOT PERSONAL, IT'S THE MARKET!
Old 12-23-2005, 04:43 PM
yomike
7th Gear

How much profit is enough? I went into my local dealer yesterday to investigate ordering a Cayman S -
I understand I would probably pay MSRP - $8000 over invoice. Armed with the search results from Porsche dealers nationwide who have my model and year ('02), there were six cars ranging in price from $55,900 to $64,988, including one at a Porsche dealer 20 miles away with the same mileage and equipment as mine for $59,900. I understand the difference between retail and wholesale, but he offered me $38,000 in trade! How much profit is enough, indeed?!
Old 12-23-2005, 05:06 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

yomike-your post is a bit confusing-what are you trading in? forget what they are trying to get for your car. you should find the wholesale value in galves, or for an estimate, check the trade in value in edmonds or kelly blue book online. use those as a figure to try and work up from. secondly, why would you pay any dealer over list for a cayman? if it is real hot, msrp is the highest you should go. remember, soon the cayman will be discounted.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by mrpc12
How much profit is there in a C4S Cab with $13K in options?

I walked away from a deal to buy a new C4S Cab today because the dealer would only give me a very small discount on a car that is sitting in the showroom and was not probably going to sell immeditely. The car has an MSRP of $113K and doesn't have a CD Changer or Power Seats. I bought my Boxster from them over the summer so I was a previous customer but they let me walk rather than taking $1500 less profit.

I was already taking a huge hit on my trade in and I know they were just passing that part of the deal through. No profit or loss on their side.

Oh well, just venting.....they lost me as a customer for life.

UPDATE: Sales person calls me and says he is willing to put in $500 of his money into the deal. No budge from the dealership. I politely declined.

I used to sell Mercedes Benz and manage the largest MB stores in New England. That "I'll give you $500 bucks out of my commission" trick is such crap. 1st, if a dealership would actually ALLOW a sales person to do that, they are scum. 2nd, if the sales person was actually trying to ploy you back with that bullsh*t line, DON'T GO BACK.

Listen guys, like I said, I managed at one of the largest MB stores in New England. We would blow cars out the door just to get our 'units' up for the end of year.

$1500 off a show room C4S cab?? Call Herb Chambers in Boston. Or even Ira, they'll treat you better. I used to work for a HC Dealership, so I know.

Regardless, I'm in sales. I negotiate thousands per deal, let alone $ 1500 bucks. Porsche is one of THE if not THE most profitable car companies out there. Don't believe me?

If you see a high rate of turn over in the car industry, you usually WON'T find it at a P-car dealer. Just stupid money to be had, if they'll let you in.

I say F'em and move on to a bigger, better dealer. And also, make your deal either TOMORROW, or literally the last day of the year/month. If they won't move, it's because A) they think they'll get a better offer or B) they can't. They're too small a dealer to do with out the profit. or C) BOTH. Which happens all the time.

Case in point. When the SL's (new body style) came out. The honey moon was over within months. You just need to know where to buy the car for a great deal.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:52 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by yomike
How much profit is enough? I went into my local dealer yesterday to investigate ordering a Cayman S -
I understand I would probably pay MSRP - $8000 over invoice. Armed with the search results from Porsche dealers nationwide who have my model and year ('02), there were six cars ranging in price from $55,900 to $64,988, including one at a Porsche dealer 20 miles away with the same mileage and equipment as mine for $59,900. I understand the difference between retail and wholesale, but he offered me $38,000 in trade! How much profit is enough, indeed?!

What's the mileage on the car? What's the make/model/style of the car? Options?

I'll help you out just tell me. Also, tell me honestly........any body work? damage? dings?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:29 PM
yomike
7th Gear

2002 Targa, Black/ Gray, 43300 miles, placed in service 3/02, no damage or paint work - one door ding. Equipped with flared rocker panels, Bose, 6 disc changer,
18" wheels, heated/power seats, 6 speed, bi xenons. Kelly Blue Book on the car is $45,000+ wholesale and $51,000+ private market value. Again, they said they would offer $38000 as a trade in on a Cayman S at almost $64,000 (MSRP).

Quick Reply: How much profit is enough?