Sponsored by:

First oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First oil change.

My 06 has 1800 miles on it. I plan on having the dealer change the oil at 2000 miles. Some of you may feel this is premature and perhaps a waste of money.
I have always been a believer in 3000 mile oil changes and have never lost an engine. I know this subject has been discussed many times before and have read almost everything ever posted. The car has used 1 quart of Mobil 1 in the 1800 miles. The car runs perfect and I want to keep it that way. After the initial change I will do subsequent changes twice a year, June and December.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:06 AM
kasendorf
Advanced

Was just at the dealer for something and asked the service manager to change the oil on my 05 with 3k miles. They told me not to and to keep driving it until 7500 before I have the oil changed.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:24 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the dealer change the oil at 3100 miles. The service rep didn't object.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:15 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it is smart. I made a consession to Mobile One and upped the milage to 4000 before a change. It is an inexpensive way to protect the motor... well, it's much more inexpensive to do yourself... it is really easy to do yourself, too. I like to test my memory -

Just gather up a $25 dollar Mann LS7 filter housing wrench ( available online everywhere and last forever ), a 1 1/16 inch socket for the wrench, a good torque wrench for the socket, a socket driven 8mm hex key, a Porsche P/N 996 107 225 53 oil filter ( I buy 'em in bunches from Brandywine Porsche in PA and remember to ask for free aluminum drain plug crush washers ), a black plastic lid sealed oil catcher from Kragen and 9 qts. of 0-40 Mobile One ( though you'll only need 8 to 8.5 )

If you don't have an Dover scissor lift table in your garage ( I don't either ) you can do what I do and use four Rhino ramps. Drive it up on the front ramps, jack up the rear and slide the ramps under the back tires so it is level with plenty of room to lay underneath and stare at the beauty of her.

Once it's on the ramps it is a 20 minute easy job. Re-torque the filter housing to 19 ft. lbs and the drain plug to 37 ft. lbs.

Cake.

Oh, don't forget to put in the new oil... that would be BAD.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:05 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Good grief, you're using a non-metric socket on the drain plug? Oh, I see you live in NV--never mind. The laws are different in CA
Old 12-22-2005, 06:34 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

As mentioned, this has been discussed before....nevertheless, I lease a car, the maker tells me to change the oil at 20k miles....the dealer tells me 10k miles and then adds, “….or if it will make you feel better, you may want to change it at 5k miles..." So, I compromise, being my first Porsche and all, and change it at 8k miles. Went to pick it up and got hit with a $250 bill for the oil change! No wonder the dealer just wants to “make me feel better…”.

My grandfather believed in 3k mile oil changes and he was right….but he wasn’t driving a modern engine….

Having said all that, I am sure that you guys that change the oil frequently are doing what’s best for the car….on the other hand, why argue with Porsche?

By the way, a few weeks after my first oil change, something broke and the engine needed to be replaced....at least the broken engine had clean oil…sort of like having clean underwear and having an accident….I was proud that my oil was clean and argued (successfully) for a refund on the oil change.

Dealers….the other day I called Manhattan and Fairfield Porsche regarding wheel alignments, one quoted $550 and the other $275! Go figure.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:55 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by uzj100
Good grief, you're using a non-metric socket on the drain plug? Oh, I see you live in NV--never mind. The laws are different in CA
Wait, wait... the 1 1/16 inch socket is for the Mann LS7 filter housing wrench... which is basically a big socket for the filter housing. That's needed to properly set the torque on the filter housing at 19 ft. lb. The drain plug hex key is metric at 8mm. Technically, the Mann LS7 filter housing wrench could also use 27mm socket and the torques could be converted to Newtons.

Everything is different in CA... I miss it way much.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:41 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Everything is different in CA... I miss it way much.
Yeah, ain't that the truth!

I've always just put the filters on hand tight. And glad you picked up on my tounge in cheek comment. I only have metric stuff, so any time I need "regular" size sockets, I just grab a socket rail and run down the line until one fits
Old 12-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Cogito
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found Larry Harris' post slightly strange. He stated (unequivacally) when he will have his oil & filter changed w/o asking for any input or advice or other opinion. O.K., so why bother to even post that? Saves postage by not having to send out little cards telling everyone when you'll be changing your oil & filter? A heads up for when we should purchase Mobil stock perhaps? Other than those reasons I don't get it.
Here's my post, I will take my P-car for a drive tomorrow, Friday.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:45 PM
atao
8th Gear

how much should an oil change cost? a local shop quoted $250. should i be buying the oil separately to save money?
Old 12-23-2005, 12:26 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

Yowzer. Alignment should be more like $175.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:33 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Doubt any of you will keep the car long enough for it to make a difference.....If you leased it why the heck would you pay to change it early?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:07 AM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rss997
Doubt any of you will keep the car long enough for it to make a difference.....If you leased it why the heck would you pay to change it early?
I know! I only changed it early 'cause I got caught up with rennlist and the way many on the board treat their cars. I also had no idea I'd get hit with a $250 bill for an oil change. But at the end of the day, who cares? I'm driving a Porsche.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:28 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by uzj100
I've always just put the filters on hand tight.
Sounds like you may not have changed the oil filter on a P-car before. They're not the one piece units like Fram that you screw in by hand. On a P-car the filter is actually an internal insert made of paper-like/cardboard material that you simply throw away and replace. The external cannister, which is threaded at the top, is the piece that is removed with that special socket Johnny speaks of. It's really simple to do, but you need that special socket to make the job easy.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:35 PM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

I attended a Mobile seminar and the speaker was asked the same question. Change the oil at 3 to 5000 miles and then go to the 20,000 oil change. The only one who benifits from more often oil changes is the guy who gets paid to do it.

I asked if the oil needs to be changed sooner since I dirve on the track. I was shocked at the answer but it makes sense. When driving hard the oil heats up and gets rid of moisture and it makes the oil last longer.

Quick Reply: First oil change.