Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RTFM? Fabspeed & Air Filter Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 04:52 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a K&N filter....didn't install it yet....I thought it would be a better option because of the improved airflow...this in combination with the fabspeed cold air intake....am a little worried about the message i read about the dirt and red oil!?!?

Anybody else had these problems with K&N filters??
Old 02-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Driveby
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Oiled cotton filters Vs. paper are another long running debate. You will find stories on both sides of the debate.

Personally, I have used K&N filters since I bought my first car without any issue. A new filter is the first mod I put on all my cars including my wife's. As my post said, I now have the BMC filter in my '06 C4S along with the Fabspeed, my '03 M3 in since day 0, and my wife's '04 BMW SUV thingy. No issues at all.

With that said, the only thing to be carefui is when it comes time to clean the filter. Some people over oil the filter (you use a cleaner first and then rinse & dry followed by a re-oiling) when they clean it. If you over oil the filter than you can get some on the mass airflow sensor (MAF) which will cause the engine to stumble. Guys on the M3 board have cleaned their MAF with electronic parts cleaner (no physical contact with the film) with perfect results. If you are worried about cleaning/re-oiling process, you always buy a new one. Of course, that will defeat the cost benefit of having a lifetime filter. Oh well.

I am putting my shields up in preparation of a flame war.

Quick Reply: RTFM? Fabspeed & Air Filter Installation