Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RTFM? Fabspeed & Air Filter Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 12:14 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

MJ, fabspeed is the real deal, ALL others are bull****. I've seen and driven his car(997S) before and after mods. His stuff flat out works, at least 20rwhp. Face it, porsche tuned down the 3.8 on purpose not to upset the 3.6GT3 boys, just look at the headers they went back to, the prev generation 3.6 had the x51 headers after '02. Don't believe me, check out Joe's website, or better yet, visit his shop like I did. Joe is a good guy, he's not trying to rip anybody off, his stuff is first class, don't knock it, 'til you've tried it!
Old 12-20-2005, 08:41 PM
raffi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Driveby, did you install the cold air kit yet?
I just did mine right now and noticed a few differences from the 996:
there is no hexagon bolt holding the box in place, after you disconnect the 2 sensors and move the oil filter snorkel out of the way you just pull the whole thing out.
then, instead of a phillips screw driver (996) you need a torx 20 to loosen the 7 screws holding the box together.
I just installed the schnell tube and K&N filter there is a subtle difference in sound, lets see if the gas mileage improves...
MJ I dont think anybody expects that much from this little mod but it keeps us busy until we figure out the next upgrade...
Old 12-23-2005, 07:52 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by raffi
Hey Driveby, did you install the cold air kit yet?
I just did mine right now and noticed a few differences from the 996:
there is no hexagon bolt holding the box in place, after you disconnect the 2 sensors and move the oil filter snorkel out of the way you just pull the whole thing out.
then, instead of a phillips screw driver (996) you need a torx 20 to loosen the 7 screws holding the box together.
I just installed the schnell tube and K&N filter there is a subtle difference in sound, lets see if the gas mileage improves...
MJ I dont think anybody expects that much from this little mod but it keeps us busy until we figure out the next upgrade...

I installed the Fabspeed tube and resonator plug. I did not put the BMW F1 filter in yet. I will do this after Christmas. I did noticed a tad more sound. Besides it looks nice.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:47 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the Fabspeed tube but decided against a K&N Filter. I like the slightly louder intake sound but can't say I notice any performance change. I read several negative comments about the K&N filters, most said they improved performance when they are new but they quickly get dirty and rob any performance gain. Also lots of warnings about over-oiling them and causing MAF detector malfunctions.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Originally Posted by SamG
I have the Fabspeed tube but decided against a K&N Filter. I like the slightly louder intake sound but can't say I notice any performance change. I read several negative comments about the K&N filters, most said they improved performance when they are new but they quickly get dirty and rob any performance gain. Also lots of warnings about over-oiling them and causing MAF detector malfunctions.
SamG,

Yeah the problem with over-oiling only comes in when you clean the filter and physically put too much red oil back on the filter. I have used the K&N filters for years without one MAF malfunction. I have always had good luck with the cotton filters and if I could figure out how to open my airbox I would be running with it right now. For now I am slick red tube and cap minus the air filer.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Driveby
Instructor

I figure people want this thread to die by now. LOL

The only part of the airbox I am stuck on with my C4S is the sensor on the back of the airbox directly in front of the central pulley. Help a brother out for Christmas!
Old 12-24-2005, 12:46 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

If I remember correctly, when I removed my airbox the trick to removing the wire from the MAF sensor was figuring out how to unclip the wiring connector. It is a bit tricky, you have to find the little release clip and gently pull the connector off. Then you cn just lift out the airbox, it just snaps into its mounting points. Then you'll need a torx screwdriver to remove the airbox cover.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:36 PM
raffi
Pro

What you remembered is correct SamG, just pull the metal piece out and then pull the sensor off.
the other sensor is described in Loren's diy, you just squeeze from the sides and gently pull.
They both disconnect without much effort.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

Fabspeed's stuff is great! I bought the muffler bypass kit and made my own cold air intake hose and plug. I thought it was going to make it a lot louder inside the car, but it doesn't do much. I'm still thinking about putting the bypass pipes on. Fabspeed says the pipes will not void the factory warranty. Anybody checked on that? I think I will before I put these on. When I first saw the pipes, I thought, "Well, I could have made that!". Then you look at the subtle angles, and they are not just plain "U" pipes. Part of them goes off at an angle.....no way to bend that into thick stainless pipe, so it is cut and welded.....and I swear you cannot tell there is a weld anywhere unless you feel the inside of the pipe. They are really nicely done. I hope the bypasses aren't too loud.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Originally Posted by Buzz911S
Fabspeed's stuff is great! I bought the muffler bypass kit and made my own cold air intake hose and plug. I thought it was going to make it a lot louder inside the car, but it doesn't do much. I'm still thinking about putting the bypass pipes on. Fabspeed says the pipes will not void the factory warranty. Anybody checked on that? I think I will before I put these on. When I first saw the pipes, I thought, "Well, I could have made that!". Then you look at the subtle angles, and they are not just plain "U" pipes. Part of them goes off at an angle.....no way to bend that into thick stainless pipe, so it is cut and welded.....and I swear you cannot tell there is a weld anywhere unless you feel the inside of the pipe. They are really nicely done. I hope the bypasses aren't too loud.
I am just down the road from you in Orlando. When do you plan on putting the pipes on the car?
Old 12-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Driveby
I am just down the road from you in Orlando. When do you plan on putting the pipes on the car?
Hi neighbor! I decided not to put them on at all. I talked to the dealership over there and they really didn't think it was a good idea. If it caused a "run lean" engine problem and they were on the car, they said it MAY not be warrantied. So, Fabspeed was kind enough to take them back.

Did you buy your Pcar at the dealership on 17-92? I've found them to be very fair and honest so far. I have too much negative camber in the rear axles and it has worn my tires prematurely. They are willing to change the camber angle to get more tire on the road.... and they may give me a free pair of new rear tires. Can't ask for much more than that!
Old 12-29-2005, 08:23 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I put the Fabspeed intake on and I noticed a nice sound difference, hope your experience is similar. I have a BMC filter that I never got around to installing - will be anxious to hear your comments after you get yours in. Good luck with the DIY!
Old 01-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Driveby ,
I just installed a BMC filter in my 997 S.
If you are a little careful you do NOT have to remove any wiring from the box.

1. Disconnect the air intake hose and remove ( 3 st.stl. clamps )
2. Unclip the oil filler tube.
3. Pull the entire box ( with air intake duct ) straight up .
(There is nothing holding it down, other than the rubber press fitting which you can see near the
engine cover release . Also , there are two plastic pins located at the bottom of the box, which
fit into holes in the chassis below.There is a rubber grommet in each hole , which can come out
of their hole when you lift up the box, so be careful to replace them before re installing the box.)

4. I DID NOT have to remove any wiring from the box. With a little patience and jiggling , you can
turn the entire assembly forward , so you can get to the screws on the bottom .
You will need a T-20 Torx screwdiver and be careful not to scratch the top of the box anywhere.

5. Clean out the box and replace the filter , close up the box and youre done.

Once you have done it , the whole thing should not take more than ~ 20 minutes .
Old 01-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Originally Posted by Buzz911S
Hi neighbor! I decided not to put them on at all. I talked to the dealership over there and they really didn't think it was a good idea. If it caused a "run lean" engine problem and they were on the car, they said it MAY not be warrantied. So, Fabspeed was kind enough to take them back.

Did you buy your Pcar at the dealership on 17-92? I've found them to be very fair and honest so far. I have too much negative camber in the rear axles and it has worn my tires prematurely. They are willing to change the camber angle to get more tire on the road.... and they may give me a free pair of new rear tires. Can't ask for much more than that!

Yeah, we are within 50 minutes of each other at legal speeds. LOL

I understand not wanting to risk a lean condition. Sounds like a reprogram of the ECU might be able to help as long as it does not necessitate bigger fuel injectors/pump. Maybe a trip to BertSmith in St. Pete to talk with them about an EVOMs ECU? I think I am going to have to talk with those guys.

I bought from Porsche Orlando (17-92 in Maitland). I have known them for a long time. They are good guys and much more customer focused now than in the past -- I ended up purchasing from Champion in Pompano Beach a few times.

We could plan on meeting up next time you are in town at the dealership.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rolf Stumberger
Driveby ,
I just installed a BMC filter in my 997 S.
If you are a little careful you do NOT have to remove any wiring from the box.

1. Disconnect the air intake hose and remove ( 3 st.stl. clamps )
2. Unclip the oil filler tube.
3. Pull the entire box ( with air intake duct ) straight up .
(There is nothing holding it down, other than the rubber press fitting which you can see near the
engine cover release . Also , there are two plastic pins located at the bottom of the box, which
fit into holes in the chassis below.There is a rubber grommet in each hole , which can come out
of their hole when you lift up the box, so be careful to replace them before re installing the box.)

4. I DID NOT have to remove any wiring from the box. With a little patience and jiggling , you can
turn the entire assembly forward , so you can get to the screws on the bottom .
You will need a T-20 Torx screwdiver and be careful not to scratch the top of the box anywhere.

5. Clean out the box and replace the filter , close up the box and youre done.

Once you have done it , the whole thing should not take more than ~ 20 minutes .

Never mind, finally got it all done tonight. Turns out I just needed to unplug the vacuum line from the pressure switch for the Helmolz resonator. Sure sounds pretty with the BMC.

Thanks to those who mentioned the HR cap can sometimes pop off. I decided to use nylon cable tie to strap that puppy down tight.

A sincere thanks to all. I need to post a DIY for the 997 now that I am an veteran expert.

Last edited by Driveby; 01-03-2006 at 10:46 PM.

Quick Reply: RTFM? Fabspeed & Air Filter Installation