Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How Did You Pay For Your Car?
I paid cash
54.09%
I make payments
30.25%
I lease my car
15.66%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Cash, Payments, or Lease ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 03:27 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i realized, but don't like to admit, that i change cars way too often.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Paid cash for my wife's 987S and financed my 997. Class A or better muni bonds pay from 3.5 to 6% tax free. Got a lot of them. The interest on them pays my 997 pymnt with $$ to spare.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:14 AM
searching4996
Racer

i have usually paid cash for all my cars. AW is correct in that "lease or cash are about the same. Interests paid on the lease are often about the same amount of money that is paid in sales taxes when buying cash in vice versa." however, at end of lease you just turn the car back and no worries where as if you purchased it, you have to try to sell it and deal with tire kickers. i realized, but don't like to admit, that i change cars way too often. so it's much cleaner just to lease and forget.

This is one of the best arguments for leasing. If you know you're not the type to keep a car for more than 5 years, leasing becomes a smarter option. Trying to sell a 40-50k used car privately is a real hassle.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:26 PM
wetstuff
Pro

Cash.

Instead of trying to remember: Namu–de–bang–kwang–bul–hwa–um–gyung. My mantra is: Zero-Debt-Pencils-to-Porsches.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:11 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I always lease my cars...especially a p-car Even though I love the car, I am damn sure going to want the latest / greatest in 3 years, so let someone else take the depreciation hit. Plus, I have always heard that UNLESS you plan to keep the car 5+ years, buying is nutz....anyway, all personal preference.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:39 AM
habbud
AutoX

CASH
Old 07-31-2008, 02:17 AM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Cash or don't buy it.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:57 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
I always lease my cars...especially a p-car Even though I love the car, I am damn sure going to want the latest / greatest in 3 years, so let someone else take the depreciation hit. Plus, I have always heard that UNLESS you plan to keep the car 5+ years, buying is nutz....anyway, all personal preference.
Just so you know, you are taking the depreciation hit in the first 3 years. So someone else should be able to buy your car for about 60% of the msrp as you find a new car.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:41 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Geez, paying interest on a rapidly depreciating, non-income producing asset is insane.

Not that buying a Porsche in any way fits into a PPT Presentation on the topic of...

"Sanity in the Human Condition".

But, if you can't write the check for your toys, don't buy 'em. Rationalizations about tax write-offs, only-live-once, better-deployment-of-capital (the only people that use this cherry are the people without the capital), etc. etc. ARE bullets in a PPT Presentation on the topic of...

"How to Stay Poor for Life".
Old 07-31-2008, 01:24 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by purrybonker
Not that buying a Porsche in any way fits into a PPT Presentation on the topic of "Sanity in the Human Condition"
Yupp, that has been a favorite, highly debated topic of the past. See, for example:

How Much Income Do You Need To Buy a 997
Target Customer for 997
997 Financial Questions

Personally, I still don't know how anyone could look at his Porsche from a rational point of view, and I still believe in what I already said over two years ago after buying my first Porsche:

Originally Posted by MMD
The money spent on a Porsche is pi**ed away. It's not an investment.
Originally Posted by Soulteacher
I agree it's not a financial investment, but that does not mean there aren't tons of benefits associated with owning a Porsche. It's an investment into my quality of life and I have experienced the benefits at the cognitive, affective, and behavioral level. It has been absolutely awesome and I haven't had a single moment during which I thought I had wasted ("pi**ed away") my money or even part of it. In every single respect, buying the 997 was the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:39 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

yeah, but then they have my old sloppy seconds... I LOVE driving new cars, and change cars often Thus, leasing is a no brainer
Old 07-31-2008, 02:10 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by cole328
yeah, but then they have my old sloppy seconds... I LOVE driving new cars, and change cars often Thus, leasing is a no brainer

In other words, you like to have waaay more car than you can afford AND want to willingly pay waaay more for that car than the next guy. Yep, that's pretty much the crack-cocaine kinda economics/lifestyle that the financial and marketing geniuses have got America hooked on (and is now turning the place into a third-world country).

There's nothing in your statement that's inconsistent with buying. You can still do the samething as you do with leasing if that's really your motivation and circumstance. Pay cash, trade up every 2-3 years and pay the difference - it will cost you waaaay less than doing it with leasing, plus you open the door to many more other alternatives.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:15 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

I wholeheartedly disagree with your comments. a) you have no idea of my economic background, as I am CERTAINLY not stretching to lease this car, b) leasing makes me immune from model year changes or other issues, as I drive, enjoy and give it back and the end....next!! So, I'll let guys like you depart with $90K in one lump sum, with no indication of what you'll get back on the back end. Enjoy.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:19 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
I agree it's not a financial investment, but that does not mean there aren't tons of benefits associated with owning a Porsche. It's an investment into my quality of life and I have experienced the benefits at the cognitive, affective, and behavioral level. It has been absolutely awesome and I haven't had a single moment during which I thought I had wasted ("pi**ed away") my money or even part of it. In every single respect, buying the 997 was the best thing I have ever done for myself.
here, here... well said. But you can't finance that feel-good. Many have tried.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:58 PM
MartyB
Racer

Originally Posted by purrybonker
There's nothing in your statement that's inconsistent with buying. You can still do the samething as you do with leasing if that's really your motivation and circumstance. Pay cash, trade up every 2-3 years and pay the difference - it will cost you waaaay less than doing it with leasing, plus you open the door to many more other alternatives.
I agree with you. No argument can convince me that leasing is a financially sound thing to do - too many hands in the purse. Regarding depreciation, Cole, I assure you that you DO take the depreciation hit and then some while you are "renting" the car. They aren't going to be left holding the bag when your lease term ends. However, I don't think it is reasonable to assume that Cole can't afford to buy a car just because he leases. Admittedly, Purry's assumption may be spot on, but probably not fair.

Quick Reply: Cash, Payments, or Lease ?