Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anybody having problems with the alarm going off for no reason?

Old 12-07-2005, 09:13 PM
jjporsch43
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Posted earlier-had another weird experience-my alarm went off again in my garage. Garage locked and alarm on(garage had been open prior). Started microwave and it did it again-second time with alarm on starting microwave in kitchen....about 12/14 feet from car....

JJ in SA Texas
PS-I have an A3 and the alarm never goes off when it has alarm on and I start microwave....
Old 02-19-2007, 09:25 PM
RedRocket
Instructor

waking up thread....

i have had a problem almost every night with my alarm going off for no apparant reason at all. no cell phone in the car, windows and sunroof closed....its really weird...and annoying. the only thing i can think that changed, cause it never did that before, is that i accidentally drained the battery to the point where it wouldnt start. Had to roll it down a hill and pop the clutch to get her going. havent had any battery issues as of lately, but the damn alarm thing is driving me nuts! guess ill have to have the dealership check for codes...
Old 02-19-2007, 09:39 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Okay, here's a dumb question. Having never heard it, what does the alarm sound like? Is it the standard, common pulsed horn beep accompanied by synchronized flashing lights that everyone ignores except when they're trying to sleep?

Make that two of us. I didn't know there was an alarm.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:53 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Let us know what you find out. Mine has continued to go off intermittently with no apparent reason - sometimes several times in a couple days, then not at all for a while.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:27 AM
jaf996cab
Instructor

My alarm is also triggered intermittently by use of our microwave oven - any solutions? Weird. MY07 C2S.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:28 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard of this in a long-term test report from some auto journal. They got it fixed under warranty and it was a known issue from what they said. Water got on some sensor that wasn't sealed propertly and it rusted and thus caused this problem.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:52 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjporsch43
Posted earlier-had another weird experience-my alarm went off again in my garage. Garage locked and alarm on(garage had been open prior). Started microwave and it did it again-second time with alarm on starting microwave in kitchen....about 12/14 feet from car....

JJ in SA Texas
PS-I have an A3 and the alarm never goes off when it has alarm on and I start microwave....
I'd be getting a new Microwave - seriously

If it's setting of your alarm, through walls, at 12-14 feet!!

What's it doing to your more personal items ?
Old 02-20-2007, 06:54 PM
RedRocket
Instructor

i talked to the shop today and they said that there is a known connection between a short or something in the horn and some sort of ring? sorry so vague...ill post more when I get it figured out and fixed.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I started the thread, but now have another issue. The dealer had no explanation for random alarm activation, but since then the high-pitched half of the horn has quit working altogether (which, if I'm not mistaken, is the alarm sound). Just a low, mono-tone, American-sounding horn now. I'll be bringing the car in for another service soon; I'll let y'all know what they say...
Old 02-20-2007, 10:33 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Speed
If you double lock the doors in quick succession it disables the cockpit motion sensor. Meant to be used when you leave pets in the car and don't want them setting off the alarm.
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2011, 02:16 AM
madporsche
Racer

So how did you guys fix the problem? I'm having the same issue here
Old 01-23-2011, 09:48 AM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey MadPorsche, I responded over at Renntech. If you have access to a durametric tool or PIWIS at the dealer, you can find out which sensor is tripping the alarm. There's a trunk switch sensor both in the trunk and in the cabin in the trunk release mechanism. There is also a motion sensor in the the arm rest storage area which can sometimes become faulty with use. As I alluded to on Renntech, my problem was/is the cabin trunk switch.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:55 AM
madporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by ajayabb
Hey MadPorsche, I responded over at Renntech. If you have access to a durametric tool or PIWIS at the dealer, you can find out which sensor is tripping the alarm. There's a trunk switch sensor both in the trunk and in the cabin in the trunk release mechanism. There is also a motion sensor in the the arm rest storage area which can sometimes become faulty with use. As I alluded to on Renntech, my problem was/is the cabin trunk switch.
I see. Then I would take my car to the local dealer to replace them.
However, was the problem covered by the factory warranty?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:03 AM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If your car is still under warranty, it should be covered
Old 01-23-2011, 10:07 AM
madporsche
Racer

Great. Fortunately, my car is still under the factory warranty.
Thank you for your help, ajayabb!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is anybody having problems with the alarm going off for no reason?