Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

poll..sports chrono..to order or not

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 02:43 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scycle2020
no tracking , at least in the foreseeable future...
Not only does it make the car's performamce more "fun, " but it also offers a bunch of other odds and ends you might want. A whole list of odd but interesting stuff like changing default values for "home" lighting.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:37 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

get it man. on the street it is very rewarding when driving on twisty back road where you will not be able to be to the floor out of turns. the crispy throttle response is so sweet.

on the track it is not necessary if you plan to turn PSM off and rely on your driving skill to correct for big mistakes. i personally like sc on the track because it waters down PSM and you enjoy drivng hard more yet PSM is still there as a safety net.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:51 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You started a thread on this very topic less than a month ago, apparently you're looking for others to make your choice for you:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/234235-sport-chrono-revisited.html

Get it if you want it, don't get it if you don't. You already have more than enough info on the subject.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:58 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

Personally, I cannot imagine getting a 997 and not getting sports chrono. But you have to drive one with and without--I like the throttle response, even on the street. Further, mine's a Tiptronic, and the Sports Chrono dramatically changes the shift mapping and character of the shifts--in sport mode it shifts at higher rpms even if your foot isn't in the floorboard; and when you drive in manual mode, it won't upshift until you do it--a first for the tip.

And obviously for the track, it gives you effectively a third choice for PSM--you have full on, off and sport.

And it is nice to be able to set all the various lighting and locking options yourself--as opposed to having to have your dealer do it on cars without sports chrono and then having to return to the dealer if you change you mind on one or more of the settings.

Finally, the chrono on the dash doesn't look bad--actually looks nice, and it gives you a handy place to put your sunglasses.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:52 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Full off <?>

tino
Old 11-20-2005, 12:46 AM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

It just seems like a good thing to have even if just for resale.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:16 AM
OCBen
Banned

Sport Chrono may actually end up hurting resale value. At least according to the arguments presented in the referenced threads.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:09 AM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Not knowing much about Porsches, I fell in love with the base model I drove and bought it on the spot. I am now looking forward to the end of my lease in 2 1/4 years so I can order a new P car, with the strongest engine available and loaded to the max. That said, I am delighted that my base came with the sports chrono option....it helps (a little) make up for the fact that it is not an s.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:58 AM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCBen
Sport Chrono may actually end up hurting resale value. At least according to the arguments presented in the referenced threads.
i think it resale value effect will be a wash....you will sell your car to a pro or anti chrono guy who will be happy with the car....even though the 997 has help up remarkably will in resale value and is still in hot demand, i think its a given the car will take a hit eventually no matt er what the options, ... so i agree with the idead just buying what your heart desires...this is an emotional purchase where practical and wise financial consideratioins have to be thrown out the window
Old 11-20-2005, 09:02 AM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

i am susprised at how overwhelming the chrono is winning....i know that the new ferrari v8s have a sport button and some have a race button, so this push button remapping of the cars responses is becoming a high tech trend in sports cars....the new m5 and m6 have a button that lowers the car, stiffends the susp. and increased the hp from 400 to 505!!!! now that will increase the cars performance!!!! of course in a porsche, who would ever leave such a button off??????
Old 11-20-2005, 11:42 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Lori
It just seems like a good thing to have even if just for resale.
Right you are. Just look at the pole results apart from your own feelings about the matter.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:59 PM
JJGray
Track Day

I have Sport/Chrono in my 997S, and for the first 2k mile break-in, I never once touched the button, so I would have something to look forward to and experience when the break-in was over with.

If you've never experienced Sport/Chrono, you will never miss it. I was already used to the normal throttle, and already very happy with how my car performs. But let me tell you, the first time I hit that Sport button, I was grinning from ear to ear. Just the throttle remapping alone made it worth it. Now THAT feels like a true race car. I don't use Sport all the time, as the car just wants to jump out of gear like an animal when it's on. For my morning commute in crappy 10mph traffic to work, I never have it on. That would be senseless.

And don't let the 'dashwart' argument steer you away either. To me, now that I've had it in my car since August, it just doesn't matter that it's there, and the argument seems petty when you consider all that you get with the package. Once you experience the remapped throttle and the stiffer ride, the stopwatch will become a non-issue. Promise.

I have a feeling that whichever options you choose to go with, you'll love your 997.

John
'06 Arctic Silver 997S
'82 White 911SC Targa
Old 11-20-2005, 01:12 PM
MMD
Banned

I don't think the resale thing is a big deal. You figure a new buyer will be pleased to get the color, leather, seats, tranny, wheels, he wants and if THAT car doesn't have S.C. he'll start to rationalize how it really isn't a big deal. Just like THE car he saw and wants to buy also doesn't have a sport shifter or painted rearcenter console. I mean where do most people draw the line for used cars? Probably on one or two colors and S or non-S. Plus we're all intoxicasted by living at the peak of the HP game with the latest models. When you start to buy used you already are out of the HP game; not being compelled by issues of maximum power or the perception of it will also allow easy rationalization for buying a used car without S.C. . Just a guess on my part.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:20 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by MMD
I don't think the resale thing is a big deal. You figure a new buyer will be pleased to get the color, leather, seats, tranny, wheels, he wants and if THAT car doesn't have S.C. he'll start to rationalize how it really isn't a big deal. Just like THE car he saw and wants to buy also doesn't have a sport shifter or painted rearcenter console. I mean where do most people draw the line for used cars? Probably on one or two colors and S or non-S. Plus we're all intoxicasted by living at the peak of the HP game with the latest models. When you start to buy used you already are out of the HP game; not being compelled by issues of maximum power or the perception of it will also allow easy rationalization for buying a used car without S.C. . Just a guess on my part.
Well said.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:38 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt
Right you are. Just look at the pole results apart from your own feelings about the matter.
Please tell me you're not seriously putting any stock in the poll results here.

Quick Reply: poll..sports chrono..to order or not