Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Aerokit or just rear spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Full Aerokit or just rear spoiler?

Since my last 911 did not have a full aerokit (TechArt rear spoiler added later), I have a couple of questions regarding the aerokit.

1. Does the aerokit (full or just the rear spoiler) add any return resale value?
2. Does anyone reqret not ordering the aerokit?
3. The full aerokit is $7k and the stealer wants $4k for the rear spoiler installed -- is the $3k worthit for the funky front?

I would love to see pictures of aerokits. POST AWAY!!!
Old 11-17-2005, 11:30 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Didn't think they would install ONLY the rear wing. You are asking for some serious stability issues. You can install the front only since you have the retractable rear wing at speed. Not to mention your car would look SOOOOOOO unbalanced.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:53 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Driveby
Since my last 911 did not have a full aerokit (TechArt rear spoiler added later), I have a couple of questions regarding the aerokit.

1. Does the aerokit (full or just the rear spoiler) add any return resale value?
2. Does anyone reqret not ordering the aerokit?
3. The full aerokit is $7k and the stealer wants $4k for the rear spoiler installed -- is the $3k worthit for the funky front?

I would love to see pictures of aerokits. POST AWAY!!!
Porsche DOES NOT sell the aero kit separately for a good reason -- they were designed to be to used together. Take a look at the attached article from Porsche and some pics of it. DO NOT GET THEM SEPARATELY!
Attached Images     
Old 11-18-2005, 01:12 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Can't read that article. Possible to post larger or host it?
Old 11-18-2005, 02:01 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Can't read that article. Possible to post larger or host it?
The pages are about 2MB each. I've sent you an e-mail. If you reply to me I'll send it to you via e-mail.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:39 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Brandywine Porsche has the full aerokit on ebay for $4,399, but also a make best offer button (maybe you could get it for less). Have dealt with them and they are reputable. Of course you have painting and installation to add to that. Wish I had the money to buy it!

I'm not enamored with the Porsche aerokit, but I think Techart has a new small rear spoiler (not their original 997 version) which looks kind of interesting for a nice mod without going overboard, and which probably wouldn't require the front end to be changed. Waiting to see it in person or at least better pics of it - this is all I have seen so far.
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2005, 07:08 AM
Driveby
Instructor

Thanks folks.

As you guys pointed out, Porsche will not sell the Aerokit part-by-part; however, the dealer agreed to just order the rear spoiler and have it installed when the car arrives - $4K.

I actually like the TechArt rear spoiler II; they want a whopping $5500 for that thing installed.

I know the Aerokit from Porsche looks a little ricey ... but I miss having a tail from my last 993 ... and from experience if I don't do it in the beginning it won't happen at all. (I was without my car for over two weeks as the *artists* tried to paint my TechArt bi-plane spoiler Iris Blue without missing spots.)

I think I understand why the car becomes unbalanced if I am adding downforce to the rear -- are you saying I would notice more understeer at the limit? I guess I just want to make sure no one thinks the car would be unstable -- cause that is hard for me to understand why that would be the case.

Do you guys honestly think the Aerokit Kit is a waste of money? Also, don't you think it would add some measure of resale -- obviously not the full amount?

Thanks. I need to decide Saturday.

Last edited by Driveby; 11-18-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:39 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

From the TSB

"The aerokit comprises a front spoiler and a rear lid with a rigid spoiler. The tested parts reduce the lift coefficient on the front and rear axle. The aerokit may only be installed on the vehicle as a complete unit.The installation of individual components is not permitted or approved! "
What sets the real deal aerokit apart is that it is a fully tested, engineered, functional solution and has the numbers to back it up.

Since all you seem to want is a "wing", perhaps an untested aftermarket "bling" piece is your best route.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:05 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Driveby.....you can edit your post instead of just re-posting a new one.

Ron.....thanks for the offer. I pinged you.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the full areo kit on my 00 C2... It will not get you much in resale. But it may make someone buy your car over another.

All these items are a personal opinions. Buy what YOU like. The car is what 80K? maybe more or less.. Based on what you posted earlier about your last car, I would say spend the 7K and get what you want. I'm not thrilled with the 997 but I saw a red S in the showroom with the aerokit and it looked much better IMHO... (Not ricey IMHO) If you think that is ricey what do you think about the RS wing people have put on their GT3's.....

So if you are even making this post it seems you do want it. So I would spend the 7K and not be posting a few months from now saying you should have opted for the kit or buying one then....

Either way you will love your 997... Only you know which way you will love it more...

Good Luck and safe driving....
Old 11-18-2005, 04:56 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't like the factory aerokit, and my uneducated self thinks your car will be FINE if you install only the front spoiler or only the rear wing. Unless, of course, you routinely blast up I-95 at 175mph and you need all the downforce you can get. I removed the OEM front undertray from my M3 (admittedly a different machine, but bear with the analogy here) for ease of accessing the front swaybar against the advice of many Roadfly 'gurus' and 'veterans'; the car felt fine at speeds above 140 on the track.

I say go for whatever you like. I like this rear wing, and I'll probably buy it eventually. When it comes time for resale, I'll yank it, sell it here, and put the OEM one back one. No big deal.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:07 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Ease up there driveby. That isn't the way we go about business here on Rennlist. I am guessing the advice you got from MJones was not to bash but to let you know that (as I said as well) that the kit from Porsche is tested and designed to work a specific way, but if you DO NOT want to purchase for what it is for then maybe you are in fact going after "bling" and not functionality. That comment doesn't look like an attack on you (rather an a simple observation) but the childish rant and accusation of sterotyping you came up with IS an attack.

Play nice or grow a thicker skin. You asked a specific question (ie,Full Aerokit or just rear spoiler?) and got a very specific answer with reason to your question which you chose to ignore and then fight back with hostility and cursing. Not good.

**EDIT....apparently driveby deleted his post that I was referring to (very wise move driveby)**

Last edited by LVDell; 11-19-2005 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
I don't like the factory aerokit, and my uneducated self thinks your car will be FINE if you install only the front spoiler or only the rear wing. Unless, of course, you routinely blast up I-95 at 175mph and you need all the downforce you can get. I removed the OEM front undertray from my M3 (admittedly a different machine, but bear with the analogy here) for ease of accessing the front swaybar against the advice of many Roadfly 'gurus' and 'veterans'; the car felt fine at speeds above 140 on the track.

I say go for whatever you like. I like this rear wing, and I'll probably buy it eventually. When it comes time for resale, I'll yank it, sell it here, and put the OEM one back one. No big deal.
Whoa that is just like the TechArt one I had on my 993. I added the front chin splitter from the Cup Car at the same time (not an official aero part either). Cool pic. thanks.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:30 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont just add rear wing...!!!!! bad idea... i think the little german guys over there probably put alot of effotrt in wind tunel design??????? i would rathe have a porsche part when it comes to stability other than something someone designed in a garage with no testing... and statrted mass producing from a mold really when you start running over 130, 140 and 150 mph....

im sure people will chage there minds on areo kit once turbos and gt3 s come out
'
Old 11-19-2005, 03:45 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Originally Posted by 930man
dont just add rear wing...!!!!! bad idea... i think the little german guys over there probably put alot of effotrt in wind tunel design??????? i would rathe have a porsche part when it comes to stability other than something someone designed in a garage with no testing... and statrted mass producing from a mold really when you start running over 130, 140 and 150 mph....

im sure people will chage there minds on areo kit once turbos and gt3 s come out
'
Got it. I tend to agree that once the other models come out people will get interested in the body kits again.

Quick Reply: Full Aerokit or just rear spoiler?