Sponsored by:

Minor Annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 07:12 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor Annoyances

Automobile mag (Dec 05) raved about the new boxster in their one year review. Although they loved the new boxster, they had a couple of quibbles and I have to say I agree with them, particularly as they relate to our beloved 997's. They dislike the single lock unlock key fob, confusing stereo system and lack of an HVAC on off switch. Minor issues all, but there you have it.

While I don't listen to the stereo much and therefore can't comment on its controls, the key fob always annoys and I also miss an HVAC off switch. I might be missing something (make that I'm probably missing something) but I hate having to turn off the auto AC sytem by manually turning off the fan.

Simple fixes on the next iteration I suppose and truely minor annoyances.

Jack

Last edited by pedsurg; 11-08-2005 at 11:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 165 Posts

Remembering that the title of this thread is "Minor Annoyances" I wish you could have the navigation on independent of the audio system. I know you can simply mute the radio/CD, but you shouldn't have to.

You should also be able to change memory seat positions (or make adjustments to the memory) without the hand-brake being ON. I have seat position one set up for spirited driving and position two set for freeway cruising. To change from one to the other, gotta have the parking brake ON...silly.

Likewise the DRLs. Can't turn 'em on or off unless the parking brake is employed. Sometimes it would be nice to switch 'em on while driving.

Like I said...all small, non-essential things, but it would be nice of Porsche to change them.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:34 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

THE FREAKING SEAT BELT ALARM DRIVES ME INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE IT................

NO SAT RADIO IS STUPID AS WELL...................
Old 11-08-2005, 08:55 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rss997
THE FREAKING SEAT BELT ALARM DRIVES ME INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE IT................

NO SAT RADIO IS STUPID AS WELL...................
i agree, no sat radio is stupid, everyone is offering it and it is mainstream...its like not having cable tv or direct tv in your area
Old 11-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

You guys are assuming Satellite Radio will still be around in two years. Don't bet on it.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:14 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
You guys are assuming Satellite Radio will still be around in two years. Don't bet on it.
Sirius Satellite Radio will probably be the first to go belly up, from what I've been hearing, due to their inferior equipment.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:24 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

We have DRLs? What? I need to read the manual.

My minor annoyance (which could just be that I haven't read the manual yet and that there's some kind of safety catch) is that the passenger side window auto-up function has worked exactly once. The driver's side works great, pass. side just refuses to work 95% of the time. I push the switch up past the detente, and it just goes up and stops when I let go of the switch.

I expect satellite radio to be around for quite a while. More and more people use it, the programming is great, quality is just getting better and better. I have 'lifetime' XM on my F-150, and I don't carry CDs anymore.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:29 PM
AS
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

passenger side window auto-up function will only work when window's 50% (or more) up.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Passenger window has an odd quirk (which is in the manual). It becomes "one-touch" up only after it's half-way up already. In other words, hit the passenger side UP switch, hold it until the window reaches the half-way-up mark, then you can release the button and the window will continue to close fully on its own.

I'm sure there's logic in this, but it escapes me, especially since the window has "obstruction shut off" anyway.

Regarding satellite radio - both Sirius and XM are hemorrhaging cash at unprecedented rates. No other business models in history have continued to lose money at this rate and then prospered. They're both doomed; their investors just haven't stopped them yet. Too bad...it's a good idea - done right.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:37 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks AS and Leader; new knowledge!
Old 11-08-2005, 09:51 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

I don't know what the big deal with only one remote button for lock/unlock. Our GMC Yukon and Audi have two buttons and I'll be darned if I'm not always trying to remember which button is which when it's dark out. The one button system makes it easier as far as I'm concerned. I like it.

I think the rationale behind the passanger window operation is that it keeps you from crushing a passanger's arm though I thought for sure that the windows stopped closing if they came upon any kind of resistance. The lack of one-touch up on the passanger side is definately annoying.

If any of you have operated a Raytheon radar/chart plotter on a boat the PCM/stereo is about the easiest thing on the planet by comparison. I don't find PCM to be terribly complex. I like PCM.

OK, I've popped the trunk while sitting in my office with the key in my pocket three times now. This could start getting annoying.

No switched accessory socket is kind of annoying. Yeah, yeah, I'm still waiting for my tech buddy to find time to hardwire my V1.

The speed limit on the freeways around here is only 65. That's very annoying.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:04 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with AeroSmith, my biggest problem is the speed limits, -- too slow!

Oh, you mean on the car?
Old 11-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

speed limit in nevada?.....no problem.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:31 PM
Maryle8802
Advanced

Let me approach this gingerly... at the cost of being heretical, I don't like the ignition key on the left side. In fact in today's world, I don't like keyed ignition. Sure at one time race drivers ran to their cars and fit the key into the ignition with the left hand while the right worked the shifter. So passe! I want to push a button with my right hand while my left works the seat belt harness. I too hate the alarm.

I also think the head lights should go out 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off... regardless of the position of the switch. (maybe they do, I've never tested this.)

No satilite radio... sirius flaw.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:41 PM
AS
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

<<<quote>>>
I also think the head lights should go out 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off... regardless of the position of the switch. (maybe they do, I've never tested this.)
<<<unquote>>>

lights will stay on for 30secs if you put light switch into 'home' (i/o 'off' position).

Quick Reply: Minor Annoyances